can i play my saves in the beta version?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RoddyVR

can i play my saves in the beta version?

Post by RoddyVR »

i'm sure this question is asked somewhere else... but i cant quite figure out where to look for it.

will my 1.0.2 saves work in the 1.1.9 verion?
i just started playing again a few days ago. i downloaded the stable version, and played the main campaing for a few days, but now have been told by a friend that i should play the 1.1.9 version, cause its not as buggy as the "beta" tag makes it seem, and that's its actualy better, and looking at the changelog i think i agreee.

however i dont want to have to replay the maps i already played.

so will the saves i have from the stable version load into the beta version if i install that? will anything get screwed up by me changing versions mid campaign?
possible spoiler:
Spoiler:
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

You should not use 1.0.x saves in the development version 1.1.9. They are probably broken. Since you are in a very early mission of that campaign better restart it. The campaigns that were mainline in 1.0.x partly did change a lot, so it really is worth the restart.
But you can also just complete that campaign in the old version and start new ones in the new version. It is no problem to have several versions of Wesnoth installed on one machine.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: can i play my saves in the beta version?

Post by zookeeper »

RoddyVR wrote:will my 1.0.2 saves work in the 1.1.9 verion?
Unfortunately no. Too much has changed, the savefile formats aren't really compatible anymore, I'm quite sure. But you can always have both versions installed: and finish the campaign(s) you have already started using 1.0.2, and start new ones (and/or play MP) using 1.1.9.
RoddyVR

Post by RoddyVR »

thanks for the replies guys...
much appreciated.

will suck having to redo the first 4 maps again, but think i'll do it anyway... atleast now my strategies for the maps are better then when i started a few days ago, so it shouldnt take as long to get through the first few.
podunk

Post by podunk »

A comment here, 1.1.9 has a bug which prevents you from picking up the fire trident in Bay of Pearls, which isn't too painful there. But I just couldn't beat both liches in Ilse of the damned without it. You might want to stick with 1.1.8 for a bit. It's slightly slower on a windows machine that 1.1.9, but still playable.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

RoddyVR wrote:will suck having to redo the first 4 maps again, but think i'll do it anyway... atleast now my strategies for the maps are better then when i started a few days ago, so it shouldnt take as long to get through the first few.
You can also finish the old campaign, and then reinstall (maybe stable 1.2 will be then ready). Or have both versions installed on the same computer - play the old campaign on old version, and new campaigns and multiplayer on new version.