LoW:Missing Saurian Augur

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JimW

LoW:Missing Saurian Augur

Post by JimW »

Managed to fight my way through to the Saurian Treasury, and after the third time, was advancing from the Saurian Treasure Stronghold to the Saurian Stronghold in the north.

Moved one of my characters to a space, I don't even recall which character or which space, shen suddenly a dialogue came up regarding how easy it had been to take over the Saurian Treasury,. and what's this. clicking on that brught up an error message to the effect that the Saurian Augur was missing from the units file, and the game wuld close down. Which it did.

Anyone tell me what the problem is?

It's bad enough that the Saurian Skirmishers are so hard to beat, but to have the program itself fight against me, well.... :o

JimW
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

Are you playing on 1.0.2 ?
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
JimW

Post by JimW »

Mythological wrote:Are you playing on 1.0.2 ?
Yes.

JimW
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

Theat explains it
The saurian augur is the 1.1 branch name for the saurian tribalist.
The problem is :
1. The campaigns/scenario you are playing isnt made for 1.0.2, but only for 1.1.x, or
2. The creator didnt translate the scenario/campaign correctly for 1.0.2, forgeting to replace the augur with the tribalist
If it's the second problem you could easily fix it youself if you know the basis of wml ( open the scenario file with a text editor, search for the prases "saurian augur" and replace them with "saurian tribalist" ) or you could post in the right thread and inform the author about the bug/error you encountered, asking him to fix it.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Well, it looks to me like you're playing on the 1.02 engine with the 1.1 LoW version or something of the sort. Can you also specify which campaign version you're playing?

Checklist:
If you have 1.02 version, then get on that server and get the latest LoW
version
Note the version

Also, it is best if you post campaign -related questions on the campaign thread. This ensures that the campaign author(in that case me)
will be immediately notified. Posting here, as you can see, does not.

LoW has been playtested in both the 1.02 and 1.1 branches and is ok in both.
So please download the campaign and let me know how it goes.
DO NOT borrow it from a friend who is running on a different Wesnoth version(e.g. 1.1.9 instead of 1.02)

Also: Saurians are no real fear, they just need special tactics, such as a front of high HP and resistance characters. Landar(hopefully and elvish avenger by then), Andulias(hopefully an elvish Champ) and a few other units should hold the line nicely. Just don't rush into the treasury untill all
units are close by.
JimW

Post by JimW »

santi wrote:Well, it looks to me like you're playing on the 1.02 engine with the 1.1 LoW version or something of the sort. Can you also specify which campaign version you're playing?

Checklist:
If you have 1.02 version, then get on that server and get the latest LoW
version
Note the version

Also, it is best if you post campaign -related questions on the campaign thread. This ensures that the campaign author(in that case me)
will be immediately notified. Posting here, as you can see, does not.

LoW has been playtested in both the 1.02 and 1.1 branches and is ok in both.
So please download the campaign and let me know how it goes.
DO NOT borrow it from a friend who is running on a different Wesnoth version(e.g. 1.1.9 instead of 1.02)

Also: Saurians are no real fear, they just need special tactics, such as a front of high HP and resistance characters. Landar(hopefully and elvish avenger by then), Andulias(hopefully an elvish Champ) and a few other units should hold the line nicely. Just don't rush into the treasury untill all
units are close by.
How do I tell which version of the campaign I have? I've looked everywhere I can think of, and I can't seem to see any indication.

As for upgrading the game itself, I tried, but there seem to be dependency issues.

I'm using Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, and I may have to wait until someone updates the sources.

I tried to track down the campaign thread, but the closest I could get was one on one of the forums that was for developers only.

JimW
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Ok, the Wesnoth version is at the bottom left of the screen with the Wesnoth map when you first start the game. Should be either 1.02 or 1.1 something
Don't know which is in Kubuntu.
Next, LoW is not an official campaign(yet?), so I assume it's not packaged with Kubuntu. You presumably downloaded it, right? Then you should have automatically picked the right server, so I guess if you have a fast enough line, you can redo it and get the latest version.
Is this what you did? Another possibility is that you are using a save from a 1.1 version with a 1.02 Wesnoth version. This would explain it. You can pm me if you need more help.

You can also do from command line
script
/usr/local/games/wesnoth

and hit exit when you quit
this produces a file named "typescript" which you can mail me

Feel free to ask again, probably best pm me
JimW

Post by JimW »

santi wrote:Ok, the Wesnoth version is at the bottom left of the screen with the Wesnoth map when you first start the game. Should be either 1.02 or 1.1 something
Don't know which is in Kubuntu.
Next, LoW is not an official campaign(yet?), so I assume it's not packaged with Kubuntu. You presumably downloaded it, right? Then you should have automatically picked the right server, so I guess if you have a fast enough line, you can redo it and get the latest version.
Is this what you did? Another possibility is that you are using a save from a 1.1 version with a 1.02 Wesnoth version. This would explain it. You can pm me if you need more help.

You can also do from command line
script
/usr/local/games/wesnoth

and hit exit when you quit
this produces a file named "typescript" which you can mail me

Feel free to ask again, probably best pm me
I got 1.0.2 packaged with my Ubuntu (not Kubuntu), and just recently managed to install 1.1.8.

Must say I like the graphics a lot better in the new version.

I believe something was broken about the 1.0.8 because one was supposed to be able to see the best enemy moves if one hit a key, but that never worked. Neither did the feature that showed a lit zone around every unit which marked the limit of the unit's movement in that direction.

I've just downloaded a "Generic campaign," a simple little thing with very limited units and victory conditions. I hope to use this sto learn to do better what I'd occasionally do almost by accident in some of the other campaigns, such as finish the campaign with high-level units to be called up, and a whack of gold.

Then, having gotten myself fully acquainted with how to win the game, I'll go back to something like TROW. :)

Thanks again,

JimW