Capitalizing Races?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Free

Capitalizing Races?

Post by Free »

I've been thinking...should the names of races in Wesnoth be capitalized or not? Different human races are, so why shouldn't the races in Wesnoth? Well, us humans usually don't capitalize our own race, (human, not African American, or Caucasian, or something else) so maybe the races in Wesnoth shouldn't be capitalized. I'm not really sure, but I leaning toward capitalizing.
scott

Post by scott »

Wesnothian races are actually species. I spent a lot of time when I was first hired de-capitalizing "race" names. IMO, an elf is an elf, not an Elf. I would capitalize them if they were in traditional latin binomial nomenclature, but for common race names I'm against it, just like you pointed out with the human (Homo sapiens :) ) example. If the dev decision goes the other way, I'm in for some work. :?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
jg

Post by jg »

As Scott pointed out, they are species. So, if we compare it to our world, we wouldn't call a rabbit a Rabbit. Or a horse, a Horse, would we? :wink:

Though since this is fantasy, it might be something different...

jg
Scharnhorst

Post by Scharnhorst »

A Horse is a Horse, Of Course, Of Course.
scott

Post by scott »

Scharnhorst wrote:A Horse is a Horse, Of Course, Of Course.
Oh no! A German! I think I know what your answer will be. :)
A Horst is a Horst...
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Scharnhorst

Post by Scharnhorst »

Lol, I'm American I just enjoy European history a little. :oops:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

BTW, I disagree that Elves and Men are separate species. They can interbreed, IIRC. (Although I suppose we've never actually seen interbreeding in any official campaigns...)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Yeah, occaisonally a human will take a fancy to a hot elf babe. I wonder what the result would look like?

EDIT: more on the subject, I think there is no need to capitalize races.
Last edited by Flametrooper on July 31st, 2006, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

You know, I thought this forum had produced the epitome of the trivial with the discussion about the plural of "Wose."
But you people have surprised me. I am cowed by your wonderous ability to argue about nothing at all.

*bows*
turin wrote:BTW, I disagree that Elves and Men are separate species. They can interbreed, IIRC.
So what? Lions and tigers can interbreed.
scott

Post by scott »

turin wrote:BTW, I disagree that Elves and Men are separate species. They can interbreed, IIRC. (Although I suppose we've never actually seen interbreeding in any official campaigns...)
Orcs and humans are also supposed to be able to interbreed. Half-orcs anyone?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
NeoPhile

Post by NeoPhile »

Zhukov wrote:So what? Lions and tigers can interbreed.
So can donkeys and horses. However they are only the same species if those half-breeds can produce their own offspring.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Small side note: Should the undead be the Undead or no? While they are technically a race in gameplay, they aren't really a race, but a supernatural group.

I really don't care either way, but since I'm near finished an undead campaign, maybe I should make sure things are in the right caps.
JW

Post by JW »

NeoPhile wrote:So can donkeys and horses. However they are only the same species if those half-breeds can produce their own offspring.
Ken Oh wrote:I really don't care either way, but since I'm near finished an undead campaign, maybe I should make sure things are in the right caps.
You should test in-game to see if the Undead units can breed with the other Wesnothian races, and if so, if their offspring can progenate. If they can, then the Undead are not a different species.

Now, in order to run this test you'll need to download the Wesnoth Coffee mod...
Jodwin

Post by Jodwin »

On an other note, what's up with calling elven units elvish something, dwarves dwarvish something and orcs orcish something? For an example calling a unit "Elvish Archer" sounds like it's an elf-like archer, but not necessarily an elf.

At least the rest of the species' units are named "properly" (drakes are called drakes, not drake-ish). :roll:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

At this point I'd like to bring up again my proposal to not have the race name be part of the unit name - instead have it say something like

Code: Select all

[             ] HP
[picture] XP
[             ] MP
Kalenz
strong,quick

_Archer_
wood elf

sword
  5-2
etc...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm