Race discussion---

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
User avatar
Cuyo Quiz
Posts: 1777
Joined: May 21st, 2005, 12:02 am
Location: South America

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

There is no point.

This is User's Forum, the offspring of Off-Topic, Wesnoth and human grouping.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Jester
Posts: 422
Joined: November 10th, 2005, 2:46 pm
Location: Delft

Post by Jester »

turin wrote:But why would a dragon devolve into a drake? it seems like a downgrade to me. Wouldn't you rather be a dragon than a drake? So how would a drake evolve from a dragon?

Survival of the fittest. Large animals are more likely to become extict because they have a much harder time adapting to a sudden change in the envirement. Dragons came across a problem in their surroundings concerning mating or food or whatever and Drakes were apparantly the perfect adaptation...
[/OT]

Turin, you still haven't answered my question.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin »

Jester wrote:Turin, you still haven't answered my question.
Yes I did - I was editing an answer into my post when you replied to my joke...
turin wrote:But basically, the rules are no part-human-part-non-human creatures. No centaurs, satyrs, werewolves, drakes, etc. I associate those more with Greek mythology.
However, this does seem to rule out mermaids and nagas too (a fantasy world without mermaids and nagas would not suffer, but the game of Wesnoth would)... so perhaps it needs revision. I'll think on it.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jester
Posts: 422
Joined: November 10th, 2005, 2:46 pm
Location: Delft

Post by Jester »

turin wrote:
Jester wrote:Turin, you still haven't answered my question.
Yes I did - I was editing an answer into my post when you replied to my joke...
I see now.
turin wrote:
turin wrote:But basically, the rules are no part-human-part-non-human creatures. No centaurs, satyrs, werewolves, drakes, etc. I associate those more with Greek mythology.
However, this does seem to rule out mermaids and nagas too (a fantasy world without mermaids and nagas would not suffer, but the game of Wesnoth would)... so perhaps it needs revision. I'll think on it.
Alright, then why is Germanic/Celtic mythology so much better that Greek mythology? Because that is where the Tolkien-fantasy is based upon.
(yes, I realize you were revising your definition)
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin »

Jester wrote:Alright, then why is Germanic/Celtic mythology so much better that Greek mythology? Because that is where the Tolkien-fantasy is based upon.
(yes, I realize you were revising your definition)
Simply because that is what Wesnoth is based on. If we had made a game based on Greek mythology, we would have had satyrs, centaurs, and stuff like that. But we didn't...

We do have mermaids, but IIRC the idea of a mermaid is fairly universal, whereas the idea of a centaur is confined to greek mythology.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director
Posts: 1113
Joined: November 29th, 2003, 11:40 pm
Location: Norway

Post by freim »

turin wrote: Simply because that is what Wesnoth is based on. If we had made a game based on Greek mythology, we would have had satyrs, centaurs, and stuff like that. But we didn't...
No it's not. at least not in the sense that it's restricted to Germanic/Celtic mythology alone. Wesnoth is inspired by a tolkien type fantasy setting, not conformant and restricted to the exact setting of Middle Earth.

In the case of the drakes: they play well, looks good, are well balanced and are generally adding to the overall gaming experience withouth beeing incompatible with the fantasy setting.
User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin »

freim wrote:No it's not. at least not in the sense that it's restricted to Germanic/Celtic mythology alone. Wesnoth is inspired by a tolkien type fantasy setting, not conformant and restricted to the exact setting of Middle Earth.
Didn't say it was... but I do hold that centaurs, satyrs, etc, would look out of place in Wesnoth. Do you disagree?
freim wrote:In the case of the drakes: they play well, looks good, are well balanced and are generally adding to the overall gaming experience withouth beeing incompatible with the fantasy setting.
I do not disagree with your first three points... and yet you keep repeating them. :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director
Posts: 1113
Joined: November 29th, 2003, 11:40 pm
Location: Norway

Post by freim »

turin wrote: Didn't say it was... but I do hold that centaurs, satyrs, etc, would look out of place in Wesnoth. Do you disagree?
Yes I do. If they where given a decent background and they had quality gfx, well balanced and all that other stuff I have no problem with them being added. When that is said I think we can come up with something better than the rather boring clichè "drakes evolved from dragons" background. Just because we use a "traditional" fantasy setting don't mean we can't be a bit innovative and fresh.
User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin »

freim wrote:
turin wrote:Didn't say it was... but I do hold that centaurs, satyrs, etc, would look out of place in Wesnoth. Do you disagree?
Yes I do. If they where given a decent background and they had quality gfx, well balanced and all that other stuff I have no problem with them being added.
Then this is where we disagree. ;) How about this: is there anything you would say is out of place in Wesnoth, even if it has high quality background, graphics, balance, and "all that other stuff"?
freim wrote:When that is said I think we can come up with something better than the rather boring clichè "drakes evolved from dragons" background. Just because we use a "traditional" fantasy setting don't mean we can't be a bit innovative and fresh.
Well than let's go ahead and think that up... otherwise the drakes are still essentially a race added for multiplayer with no clear place in the WoW.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dragon Master
Posts: 1012
Joined: February 11th, 2006, 1:04 am
Location: Somewhere

Post by Dragon Master »

turin wrote: Put simply, I don't think the official version of the WoW is any good, and although I am fine with improving it, I am going to put the majority of my effort into my own version of the WoW, which will probably not be consistent with the official one (although I will try to make it be), unless I see a convincing reason that the stuff I disagree with is acceptable. Which I haven't yet. I am not forcing my opinion on anyone, because (thankfully) I have no authority.
Wow, a few posts ago you said you didn't act like you owned Wesnoth, but this is a very VERY arrogant comment. So let me see, your going to make your own Wesnoth that basically excludes anything not remotely human? By doing this you've restricted anyone's ability to imagine things. I really can't tell what your problem with new races is. You seem to want a game like Wesnoth that's as historically accurate as possible. And also, people have been making convincing comments about drakes and other things you disagree with, you've just chosen to ignore them and twist words so that it sounds like "Drakes are here because they are cool". That IS one of the reasons we have drakes, but they are also here for many viable reasons.
User avatar
Elvish_Pillager
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dragon Master wrote:...twist words so that it sounds like "Drakes are here because they are cool". That IS one of the reasons we have drakes, but they are also here for many viable reasons.
Actually, that is the exact original reason we have drakes - the devs thought that they'd be cool - and there's nothing wrong with that in itself. However, Turin seems to think that an internally consistent fantasy environment would be even more cool, so by all means, good luck to him. :wink:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin »

Dragon Master wrote:Wow, a few posts ago you said you didn't act like you owned Wesnoth, but this is a very VERY arrogant comment. So let me see, your going to make your own Wesnoth that basically excludes anything not remotely human? By doing this you've restricted anyone's ability to imagine things.
No - I've restricted what I, in my own personal version, am going to accept into the WoW. They are still free to create their new content, and, if it is good enough, get it official (over my dissenting vote, which isn't worth a whole lot anyway).

BTW, I doubt that "exclud[ing] anything not remotely human" is what you meant to say. I don't know what that would even mean.
Dragon Master wrote:I really can't tell what your problem with new races is. You seem to want a game like Wesnoth that's as historically accurate as possible.
Again, I am not against new races. It is just that I have high standards for what makes a good new race, and, obviously, they are very subjective.

I obviously don't want a historically accurate game. Otherwise I would demand that all non-human factions be removed... :roll:

Dragon Master wrote: And also, people have been making convincing comments about drakes and other things you disagree with, you've just chosen to ignore them and twist words so that it sounds like "Drakes are here because they are cool". That IS one of the reasons we have drakes, but they are also here for many viable reasons.
Please list these reasons. I've read the thread, and I have not noticed any. Seriously. I am not twisting people's words; I just have not seen a single explanation of why drakes are a good idea... look, I was here when drakes were added, and they were added for one reason - the devs thought they were cool. Things were simpler back then...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
User avatar
JW
Posts: 5046
Joined: November 10th, 2005, 7:06 am
Location: Chicago-ish, Illinois

Post by JW »

the "werewolf" faction isn't going to simply be "wolf-men." Their background is currently being written, but I don't see how looking like a wolf and looking like an orc are different in any way.

c'mon.... :?

As for the rest of the stuff, I agree with freim.

I would oppose any creatures that are god-like though and would bring in an organized official religion to Wesnoth. I PMed you (turin) about that matter earlier, so I hope you don't bring the EOM (which is demystifying) into that issue.

I am curious about the Wooses though. I haven't seen a shred of story on them. (and they own my favorite facion in MP too.... :? )
Flametrooper
Posts: 984
Joined: February 21st, 2006, 11:02 pm
Location: 0x466C616D65

Post by Flametrooper »

Don't feed the Turin, people, don't feed the Turin. He'll have the forums down before you know what's happened to you. ESPECIALLY don't feed him anything that has to do remotely with drakes. It gives him some sort of food poisoning that makes him get bigger and meaner than usual. :P
hey.
User avatar
Elvish_Pillager
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:Things were simpler back then...
I contest that statement! If anything, the devs have gotten more dedicated to the we-implement-what's-fun-for-us mentality since, for example, the Drakes.

Granted, we no longer have Miyo around to say that all the time, but then again, the devs now also don't talk about controversial decisions on the forums as much, so there's less call for that.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Post Reply