Plural of Wose

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Wosen sounds like the past tense of the verb Wose. I don't know what this unexisting verb does, but I think "You got wosen, sucks doesn't it?"

Whats wrong with Wose for singular and plural?
Silence of Echo

Post by Silence of Echo »

how about wice? If you think about it...it makes sense....

"And the elf sitting lonely on his wosen bust spoke only that one word,
as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Quoth the elf:
Wosenmore!"
-Edgar Allen Poe (altered....slightly)

Im a wice, youre a wice, EVERYBODY WICE NOW!
Save a cow: eat a vegetarian
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

In order of popularity:
Wosen
Woses
Wose
Wice

I'd just go with wosen right now if it weren't for the fact that most people won't understand it. Most people are just not well-enough familiar with the only other transistions of this type to make the connection:

ox -> oxen
child -> children
vax -> vaxen
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

turin wrote:but I don't think Woses really have a place in Wesnoth, and they never really did; especially not one that would lead to them being allied with the Rebels. So I've always been opposed to Woses in Wesnoth.)
La_vie_en_WORTH !
Last edited by La_vie_en_Wose on May 3rd, 2006, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you really hate stupid people, get a girlfriend.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

joshudson wrote:In order of popularity:
Wosen
Woses
Wose
Wice
You forgot "weese". :P
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

irrevenant wrote:
Wosen
Woses
Wose
Wice
You also forgot the dead Wose : The WAS !
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

I really don't see the need for any silly weird, obscure plural forms here. Whatever the Angles or Saxons may have done, the fact is that in Modern English, only a tiny handful of words retain the "-en" plural form. Any native English speaker, seeing the word "Wose" will assume that the plural is "Woses", and indeed, if you browse the forums, you will find "Woses" univerally used as the plural everywhere but in this thread.

As far as I can see, the only possible benefit to choosing some peculiar plural form is so that those "in the know" can flame and/or make fun of those who naïvely assume a simpler and more obvious plural--and frankly, I don't see this as a real benefit; I see it as a drawback.

As for those who argue that this or that obscure, silly plural form is "cool", allow me to remind you: you are sitting at your computer, browsing an online forum and discussing obscure linguistic details of a fantasy video game. A video game which, moreover, owes much of its popularity to the fact that it works with UNIX! Nothing you say or do in this thread has any chance of ever resembling coolness! :P

:)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

xtifr wrote:As for those who argue that this or that obscure, silly plural form is "cool", allow me to remind you: you are sitting at your computer, browsing an online forum and discussing obscure linguistic details of a fantasy video game. A video game which, moreover, owes much of its popularity to the fact that it works with UNIX! Nothing you say or do in this thread has any chance of ever resembling coolness! :P
Depends on your definition of "cool". ;)

In my experience, some people say that "cool" means "obscure"... the more obscure, the cooler. So that would mean wesnoth is the epitome of cool.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

xtifr wrote:As for those who argue that this or that obscure, silly plural form is "cool", allow me to remind you: you are sitting at your computer, browsing an online forum and discussing obscure linguistic details of a fantasy video game. A video game which, moreover, owes much of its popularity to the fact that it works with UNIX! Nothing you say or do in this thread has any chance of ever resembling coolness! :P

:)
At least we're using real languages. Despite some attempts, no one has managed to come up with the rest of the Wesfolk language and/or determine the translation of "wose" into that "language."
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

turin wrote:In my experience, some people say that "cool" means "obscure"... the more obscure, the cooler.
Well, then, I propose that the plural of "Wose" should be...Glibwol! Hard to get much more obscure than that! :)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

We should obviously make every species into an Easter Egg, adn then change the names of the weapons to some fitting anagram. Saurians would be Neolings, for example.

Oh yeah, ++ (postcount+1).
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Jeez. Some people really need lives.
hey.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

We're then in the Wose Who.
Liminiality2

Post by Liminiality2 »

irrevenant wrote:
Wosen
Woses
Wose
Wice

Weese, it pwns :twisted: and you cannot question pwnage for it is the gamer term for "cool"

P.S. Cuyo Quiz idea pwns
NO FOG is certain - Elvish Pillager
Campaign: Revenge of the Elves http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11477
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Wose is cool