BFW trailer on youtube.com

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

BFW trailer on youtube.com

Post by scott »

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIt69vznegs

View it, vote for it, send it to all your friends, etc.

If anyone wants to host in on another video site like google video, be my guest. Add the link.

The thread where this video was developed is here. The full-quality video using a royalty/patent-free data format should be coming soon to the front page.
Last edited by scott on March 21st, 2007, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

The video is now on the frontpage and the files are on sf.net. Someone still has to update the infos about the codecs needed and the players that are recommended for watching the trailer. The links to the trailer itself are in the wiki so someone should go to that page and improve it since I lately don't have much time at all.
radoz
Art Contributor

Post by radoz »

That's great, thanks for your and torangan's help with encoding it into theora/vorbis and then putting it on wesnoth.org. Just downloaded the 640x480 version, the quality is amazing given the small file size, brilliant. :D

(Mac OS X, using VLC)
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't ...
scott

Post by scott »

ivanovic wrote: Someone still has to update the infos about the codecs needed and the players that are recommended for watching the trailer.
It's a little bit better now. Besides VLC, I didn't know any programs that play the file. Mplayer, I assume, but I didn't know.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Kiba

Post by Kiba »

I feel like this is the best trailer there is.

Awesome job btw!

I certainly enjoy watching this many time.
project founder of Libregamewiki

http://libregamewiki.org
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

scott wrote: Besides VLC, I didn't know any programs that play the file. Mplayer, I assume, but I didn't know.
Realplayer and its fully open-source cousin Helixplayer. (Real and Helix now have the same sort of relationship that Netscape and Mozilla once had--Realplayer is about 90% open source these days.)

Xine (this is what I use). Anything based on the libxine or gstreamer libraries (e.g. Gnome's Totem, KDE's Kaboodle or Xfce's Xfmedia).

You can also get Directshow plugins for Windows Media Player and other Directshow-based apps.

Basically, any reasonably up-to-date GNU/Linux system should play this out of the box, and Windows and Mac should play it with only a little effort.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Wow. The last promo vid that I watched was the first one from that thread back when it was getting started. Honestly, I wasn't totally impressed with it, but this one is really good.
Kiba

Post by Kiba »

I made a new digg story on Digg.com

I encourage everyone with an account to digg the article so we can get more people viewing this new trailer.

The headline is "Awesome Wesnoth Trailer!!!". I hope that will help.

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

JW

Post by JW »

Kiba wrote:The headline is "Awesome Wesnoth Trailer!!!". I hope that will help.
Using superlatives usually implies that the described item isn't worth investigating on its own, so it must be oversold. The more exclamation marks the more you oversell it. See the below list for examples of what I mean.

"Amazing lawnchairs for sale!"

"Out of this world bubble gum!!"

"Miraculous stuffed dolphin - come see!!!!"

A more descirptive title is usually better for all things. Who knows what an "awesome wesnoth trailer" is? The targetted people to see the video (people who don't currently play BfW) won't know what Wesnoth is, so it is meaningless to them. Something like:

"Battle for Wesnoth: a free online TBS video game"

would explain exactly what the person is browsing, before they even open the video. Those words targets peopl who
a) enjoy video games

and more specifically:
b) enjoy free games
c) enjoy online games
d) enjoy TBS games

It also prejects the title of the game while explaining it instead of throwing out a foreign term expecting people to be interested in it.

Just my 5.5 cents. For digg.com this is probably okay. ;)
Gauteamus
Translator

Post by Gauteamus »

Awesome is not a superlative form, but I think I get your point, and fully agree with it!!!!!!!!!
Play Dwarf Fortress, where berserker dwarves really make you cry!
My favourite Bach site:
-To hear with eyes belongs to love's fine wit
appleide

Post by appleide »

Actually I don't think its that awesome. It's nice work though! But the music used clashed with each other at the transitions. The music also had some "ooo" sound of a spearman being stabbed, which was rather awkward.

Some of the screenshots from the game was pixelated. The flag that kept waving was distracting the viewers attention. And the mention of "multiplayer" and "internet play" next to each other made it seem a little redundant. Maybe "Internet supported multiplayer" might be better.

Instead of "CUSTOMIZABLE" and "ADD-ONS", maybe use "Many more Custom made campaigns available for download." or something...
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Kiba

Post by Kiba »

We need more diggs. I encourage more diggs in order for that digg story to be posted on the frontpage of Digg.
I think we need 5 more or something.

JW

Post by JW »

Gauteamus wrote:Awesome is not a superlative form, but I think I get your point, and fully agree with it!!!!!!!!!
:)
Makkenhoff

Post by Makkenhoff »

I like the vid. But I've played the game, your not trying to attract me. ;)

If meant to attract new players, then yes, I agree with appleide on the point that instead of calling it customizable or add-on, it should be noted that many custom campaigns exist. Otherwise I think it gets the point across. :D