Favorite unit and least favorite

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

a

Post by a »

favorite: orcish slayer
least favorite: ghoul
Xeron_

Post by Xeron_ »

favourite: orc acher - cute and 2 ranged damage types which is rather seldom

least favourite: undecided - i tend to say say human lancers since i always lose them when using one myself while getting pawned by them.
Last edited by Xeron_ on June 22nd, 2006, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

*scratches head*

Uh, I don't remember the dragonguard ever getting nerfed; rather, the opposite has recently happened. (rev10649)

As far as favorite units:
I'm partial to the shyde, for obvious reasons (their healing animations were one of my first big submissions), and also like the sharpshooter.
I'm also fond of many of the loyalists (horsemen, especially).
The grunt is also my favorite orcish unit, and I enjoy zerging those guys.

I'm not so fond of:
Cheap throwaway units (walking corpse, goblins, bats).
Orcish archers (scrappy little $&^#$s!)
All saurians

As for the drakes; some consider them a nuisance. Others (like my dwarves), consider them delicious.
swissman

Post by swissman »

Fav: dwarvish Guard

Least: Poacher
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Favourite unit: Elvish Champions.
I also really like Lancers, Paladins and Avengers.

Least favoured: Any undead (annoying to fight), ulfserkers (I dislike suicidal units) and Orcish Assassins/Slayers (a lot of defense.. AND poison).
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Moroder

Post by Moroder »

Fake Favourite units: Duelist. These guys have style. Poor thing is their armor...
Saurian Ambusher and Flanker: makes me remember of Warhammer, so I like them too.
True Favourite: Elvish Archers and the complete tree (Rangers, Avengers, etc): versatile guys, and I enjoy their mixed skills.

Unit I really don't like: These annoying bats.
Religion is nothing. I'm all about lifestyle. Mine is Christ, and I'll always respect yours. :wink:
Elvish Orc Slayer

Post by Elvish Orc Slayer »

fav is Elvish Avenger (now you see him, now you dont, now your dead)

least fav is footpad (bad to begin with and doesnt get any better)

The Elvish Orc Slayer
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Elvish Orc Slayer wrote:least fav is footpad (bad to begin with and doesnt get any better)
It used to gain 8-4 melee at level 2. :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
halleck

Post by halleck »

Fav: Assasins. I just like them... :?
Least Fav: Footpad for obvious and already stated reasons.
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
JW

Post by JW »

The Footpad is actually useful now. I've actually recruited him in MP after the changes.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I distinctly remember it as being 10-3 impact melee with almost 70 hitpoints. Hense, it was my king in the 1.0 days.

Strangely useful as a melee unit, moreso than the range in most cases (although Lancers trying to dislodge dragonguard from castle usually died from it).

I remember one particular game, bashing down the enemy lich with it near the end. No way that would work now.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

My favourite have to be all the mages due to cuteness and sheer versatility, as well as the humble spearman, especially due to what cool stuff he can turn into.

The least favourite is the footpad, who couldn't kill his own lunch even if it was a burger.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

joshudson wrote:I distinctly remember it as being 10-3 impact melee with almost 70 hitpoints. Hense, it was my king in the 1.0 days.

Strangely useful as a melee unit, moreso than the range in most cases (although Lancers trying to dislodge dragonguard from castle usually died from it).

I remember one particular game, bashing down the enemy lich with it near the end. No way that would work now.
:? The record of this unit's stat history is here:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trun ... 7&view=log

It used to be 12-2 impact melee.

I've been wrong about this kinda thing before, too - we're all human, here.
PrinceRepulsive
Location: In the lowest room of the darkest dungeon trying to rescue an ugly rat princess.

Post by PrinceRepulsive »

My Favorite is probably the Gryphon Rider, and my least favorite (to use) is the walking corpse. My second favorite is actually the footpad, because it moves quickly, and is hard to eradicate, fitting perfectly into "Phase 2" of my style. My third favorite (is this too much information?) is the thief, because I can use backstab a lot to kill units in the "Kill Units" phase of my style. My least favorite for my opponent to have is the Red Mage.
I'm no Prince Charming
Ringcaat

Post by Ringcaat »

It's interesting checking out people's opinions here and how much they vary. Some of these choices make perfect sense to me and some puzzle me, but the funny thing about this question is that the units are suppoedly all balanced, so favorites and least favorites are somewhat going to be based on silly peripheral factors. :) But then, we all have the units we like to use most.

My favorite? I dunno...I've never tried playing with, oh, say, cuttlefish, so it's hard to say for sure...but of the units I've used frequently, I have to admit I'm fond of the Elvish Captain. I like moving them around to give as many rank and file soldiers a leadership boost as possible. But are they my favorite? I really don't know.

For some reason I don't like the Undead much. My gut thells me they should be weak, even though I do well enough with them. But they're so annoyingly hard to kill. Let's give the plain old Skeleton my vote for least favorite unit.