Serious PROBLEMS

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Hm... unsung... am i one of new people, or am i assimilating slowly?

shotrly: am i talking senseless things too?
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

*guesses that it is something to do with bad art being accepted by a project*
Slighty warm.
Eleazar wrote:Surely the real Noy must be dead by now. Is the one we see a clone or an impostor?
Noy is in fact a highly advanced life form with an unbelievable psyque. Sadly, it is so advanced that when someone "doesn't get it" his self suffers. Natural selection must have eliminated all other specimens of his kind by now, and i suspect he can survive by feeding on the information in the Internet.
Eleazar wrote:Cuyo, my weakness is being given money. It wounds my pride. Please don't use this knowledge to harm me!
I'm going to need lots of Monopoly games now.
Oh, and I suggest giving all units mega markman (100% chance to hit), 1 hp, 1 damage, and 5 movement points to fix things. Yep. No luck or balance problems there.
That would be like playing checkers. It may be fun, even.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Could make era based on things like: 1hp 100% cth etc.
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
jg

Post by jg »

kshinji wrote:Could make era based on things like: 1hp 100% cth etc.
There is something like that on the campaign-server already. Something with chance modified... Just don't remeber the name. :(

jg
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

"someone or others' Less Luck Era"?
jg

Post by jg »

Dragon Master wrote:"someone or others' Less Luck Era"?
Exactly... :lol:

jg
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I think you will find that it's called "Sauron's Less Luck Era."
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

I meant something different completely, and it would be good way to train WML for me. It would be well described by: "all numbers smaller". I am still wondering if it should have all CtH = 100% or 0% ?
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

kshinji wrote:I am still wondering if it should have all CtH = 100% or 0% ?
Possibly the silliest question I have ever seen on these forums.

0% CtH would mean that all units would never land a hit. I am assuming that isn't what you want.
Liminiality2

Post by Liminiality2 »

i just have to say that that long list in the begining is pure nonsense

havent you played any stratigy game ever?

like in age of mythology the norse have the worst defense ever but they have great attack, the egyptions in turn have a great defense but horrible attack.

if you took thoes things out then you might as well just make one unit and put it in one faction that everybody would play and that would be terrible
NO FOG is certain - Elvish Pillager
Campaign: Revenge of the Elves http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11477
Tropico

Post by Tropico »

I agree that the list of 'problems' is nonsense, however I know where he comes from more or less, having had experience with this type of player in some roleplaying game-groups.. they are what we call muchkins.

These guys play not for the fun of the roleplay, not for the challenge of the puzzle or the exploration or the tactics, but simply for a feeling of a rush of power.

They're the guys who expect to find a +5 intelligent sword of fireballs in every chest, who want to attack dragons and come out of it without a scratch, etc. Basically they soundly protest and deny any kind of weakness in any character, for whatever reason.

There's nothing wrong with playing like this.. heck there are even games designed FOR this type of player, the only mistake here is to assume that we want the same thing out of the game that he does. Wesnoth is, as far as I have seen so far, MEANT to be played with handicapped, imperfect units. It's on purpose. It makes you THINK.

Some people might be of the -opinion- that big, glaring weaknesses in a unit is a bad thing, but the developers clearly aren't, and thank god for that, imho.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Tropico wrote:There's nothing wrong with playing like this.. heck there are even games designed FOR this type of player, the only mistake here is to assume that we want the same thing out of the game that he does.
Well, the other mistake is that it's very difficult to make a multiplayer game for this type of player. The average player only wins 50% of the time, and these players usually aren't very good, meaning they win less than 50% of the time, and that's rather unempowering.

I think there could be alot of money made by someone who can work out how to make an AI that is sophisticated enough that it appears to be a real person. Then you could get plenty of players feeling great about themselves because they think they are beating real people. :)
Tropico wrote: Wesnoth is, as far as I have seen so far, MEANT to be played with handicapped, imperfect units. It's on purpose. It makes you THINK.
You're absolutely right. An 'ideal' game of Wesnoth doesn't have players pitting epic armies of heroes against each other. Rather it's a nitty gritty desperate struggle between rag-tag bands of units each of which is desperate to beat the other.

Rather than make a decision about which finely-manicured, fresh unit will be charging against the enemy, while wounded units safely heal, a player will have to decide whether their half-dead archer should join the battle, hoping to make the difference in a desperate struggle but risking death, or try to retreat to safety.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Wintersmith

Post by Wintersmith »

Dave wrote: I think there could be alot of money made by someone who can work out how to make an AI that is sophisticated enough that it appears to be a real person. Then you could get plenty of players feeling great about themselves because they think they are beating real people. :)
Dave, you're already much closer to hitting the jackpot than you think. In fact, all you really need to do is add an annoying chatbot to the AI Wesnoth already has. :D
UDD

Post by UDD »

If you really want people to enjoy defeating those bots, just make sure they say lots of "LOL!!1" "PWNED!!1" "I PWND J00" "ROFLOL!!!!!!!!11". Peraps even "| |+|/\||\||) _|00111111 |_0|_7_".
And give them names like ~_-!!+=-COOLORZ!LOL-=+!!-_~
~
When you turn your computer off, its called a "Shut Down".
Shouldn't turning your computer on be called a "Shut Up"?
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Hm... how could i have written "0% CtH" ? I dont remember if it was a joke, i am pretty sure it wasnt...