best non-mainline campaigns?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ChristTrekker

best non-mainline campaigns?

Post by ChristTrekker »

Which campaigns are almost ready for mainline? That is, mostly complete, mostly balanced, good story, pretty fun.
Bitron
Developer

Re: best non-mainline campaigns?

Post by Bitron »

Not all UMC campaigns will eventually get into mainline, even when they are concidered finshed and their quality is at least equal to the mainline campaigns, if not better.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Lots of campaigns fit your requirements. That does not make them almost ready for mainline though
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
taptap

Post by taptap »

Plenty of user made content is better than mainline. Though mainline content often features better art due to receiving more attention when Wesnoth had an active art community.

Two pages meant to help navigating user made content:

https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Guide_to_UMC_Content

https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Player_UMC_Reviews

If you have trouble picking a good start to explore, you may try something by faelord or velensk or "Return from the Abyss" by skeptical troll.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

To answer your question with specific campaigns:

Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm (sequel to IftU) - a well-designed series of campaigns with a compelling storyline
To Lands Unknown - incredible graphics
A New Order - another story-driven campaign that I personally find a little lacking in gameplay, but is fairly well written
Bad Moon Rising and Trinity - Archaic era campaigns that have quite a bit of work put into them
Oath of Allegiance - uses the new Dunefolk faction

I can't think of any others right now, might update with more suggestions later.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

I can't think of any others right now, might update with more suggestions later.
Genesis comes to mind as i'm in the middle of it right now. ;) Fits his requirements :lol:
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Kasdel

Post by Kasdel »

BMR and Trinity are really amazing, but they are more "alternate history" than potentially canon.
IftU and AtS seem to be the most canon-ready UMC campaigns (by virtue of being sequels to UtBS and having an incredible story), and they are some of the best campaigns ever made.
TLU is pretty far from canon, as awesome and beautiful as it is.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Sudipta wrote: April 28th, 2018, 12:45 pm Genesis comes to mind as i'm in the middle of it right now. ;) Fits his requirements :lol:
Ahaha, I don't know if Genesis is suitable for newer players, but it's nice to know that at least some people seem to like my campaign. :lol: