How would you make Ageless WC2 factions?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Xara

How would you make Ageless WC2 factions?

Post by Xara »

So if you are choosing two factions from Ageless Era, and merge them into a WC2-style faction, with which you rotate your recruits within unit pairs, what faction pairs would you choose?
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Elder2

Re: How would you make Ageless WC2 factions?

Post by Elder2 »

I think it depends on whether your goal is to make the strongest combinations, balanced combinations or nerfed combinations. First would probably be the easiest.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

I dont like World Conquest 2 recruit method at all. It forces me to get an unit i did not need to get the unit needed that comes after it.
Probably would have play it much more if did not force this weird recruitment upon the player.
Xara

Post by Xara »

Eagle_11 wrote:I dont like World Conquest 2 recruit method at all. It forces me to get an unit i did not need to get the unit needed that comes after it.
Probably would have play it much more if did not force this weird recruitment upon the player.
I think 7 to 8 mainline lv.1 units to recruit is a bit boring for a campaign lasting 5 scenarios, and the recruiting system is nicely refreshing. For survival map where I'm only recruiting 12 units, I am perfectly fine with traditional factions.

Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Xara wrote:
Eagle_11 wrote:I dont like World Conquest 2 recruit method at all. It forces me to get an unit i did not need to get the unit needed that comes after it.
I think 7 to 8 mainline lv.1 units to recruit is a bit boring for a campaign lasting 5 scenarios, and the recruiting system is nicely refreshing. For survival map where I'm only recruiting 12 units, I am perfectly fine with traditional factions.
Sure, combining drakes and orcs into one faction is fun, but only when not forced to get an drake warrior to get my next grunt.

edit: Anyhow, back on topic.
I would combine Lavinian Legions with Orcei Gladiatores.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

The system is like this exactly to stop you from spamming one unit like grunt lol
Xara

Post by Xara »

I have thought more about this idea. And got a few rule of thumbs:

-The two factions should have different alignments.
-Need enough naval and flying units.
-Some thoughts should be put in the interactions of factions' playstyle. But in general I think the Ageless Factions are less distinct than mainline factions so I tend to worry less about it.
-The art styles should be similar. It would look weird if your army is EFM Whites + Ukian.
-Don't combine two OP factions. EoMa Summoners + EoMa Destroyers would kill the fun for example. A easy way to keep this in check is to look up in Ageless Survival Tier list.
-The combo should somewhat make a theme flavorfully.
-Two factions should come from different Era. This is just my personal preference to have an interworld flavor. If I'm making such an Era, I would put in this rule.
-In the end it comes down to what factions you like.

Currently the combos I'm thinking of are EFM Darklander + Emperor's Guard and Ukian + EoMa Runemasters.
Eagle_11 wrote:I would combine Lavinian Legions with Orcei Gladiatores.
That can work. Having two ordinary factions kind of solve your problem with recruit rotating. Unlike the Orcish Grunt - Drake Warrior scenario, you always get two similar units, so the counterpart would not be as useless.

Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Ageless Survival Tier list.
What and where is this ?
Xara

Post by Xara »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46915

I find IPS's reply especially convincing.