enclave's Lua thread

Discussion of Lua and LuaWML support, development, and ideas.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

enclave

Re: enclave's Lua thread

Post by enclave »

I will try that, thanks! my lua skills are like a beginner beginner level.. this helps me understand more about lua arrays.. structure..

A question.. would it look like this then?

Code: Select all

local saved_terrains = wesnoth.get_locations { x = "5", y = "25", { "not", { terrain = "M*,W*,M*^*,W*^*,Ai*,Ai*^*,Rrc,Q*,X*,Q*^*,X*^*,Iwr,Rp^Ecf,Rp^Dr,_off^_usr"} } })
What about them being stored in pairs? Would i be able to do something like this for i=0,saved_terrains.length,1 do ... end later? or this this some kind of different type of array? if i do wesnoth.set_variable("ns_saved_terrains",saved_terrains) would it work? would it be same wml array? You can see how bad I am at lua when you see my questions ;)
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

>What about them being stored in pairs?
You can iterate them as pairs like your example does.

>Would i be able to do something like this for i=0,saved_terrains.length,1 do ... end later? or this this some kind of different type of array?
Lua only has tables - no special array types. So, possible, but unless you need to manipulate those indexes, better use pairs.

>if i do wesnoth.set_variable("ns_saved_terrains",saved_terrains) would it work? would it be same wml array?
It will not.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Another code requiring translation.. otherwise im stuck (and btw i have no idea how ipairs work.. never met something to work in pairs in any programming language i seen so far)

[store_locations]
	x=$xbegin-$xend
	y=$ybegin-$yend
	[not]
	terrain=_off^_usr
	[/not]
	variable=ns_cube
	[/store_locations]
how to translate it into wesnoth.fire ?

wesnoth.fire("store_locations",
	{ x="$xbegin-$xend", y="$ybegin-$yend", not { terrain="_off^_usr" }, variable="ns_cube"})
or with local xbegin xend ybegin yend

{ x="xbegin-xend", y="ybegin-yend", not { terrain="_off^_usr" }, variable="ns_cube"})
or some other way?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Lua does not evaluate your $. I think you know by now how to transfer simple variables between WML and Lua.

I think your not needs extra {}.
enclave

Post by enclave »

that's the right way to write it:

{ x=xbegin-xend, y=ybegin-yend, variable="ns_cube3", { "not", { terrain="Gg,Mm,Hh" }} })
xbegin xend ybegin yend are locals
enclave

Post by enclave »

A question..
It is known that lua causes OOS if used math.random, will it still cause OOS if we do math.randomseed(1234) prior to it? It should generate same sequences of number for all players or no? would it still need synchronization?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

If you set seed in synchronised way, all players get same sequence. Obviously, if you set it to constant, you wont get any randomness.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Hi, I'm trying to use this:
wesnoth.fire("replace_map",{map="{campaigns/Heir_To_The_Throne/maps/01_The_Elves_Besieged.map}",expand="yes",shrink="yes"})
wesnoth.fire("replace_map",{map="{add-ons/Optimisation_Tester/maps/4p_A_New_Land.map}",expand="yes",shrink="yes"})

i tried tons of different ways and nothing works, always same error:
a terrain with a string with more than 4 characters has been found, the affected terrain is : {add-ons/Optimisation_Tester/maps/4p_A_New_Land.map}

[replace_map] works fine, but lua doesn't how to replace "{" with string so that it doesnt think of it as about a table?? or what I need to do to make it work? Thanks!
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

[args] I guess. Or do the inclusion manually. I think 1.13 Lua has support to read files too.
enclave

Post by enclave »

i tried to google [args] lua, but couldn't find anything.. what do you mean? Thanks
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

ctrl+f would have helped. Or search. When you search for args you get 6 results, 3. is most useful.
enclave

Post by enclave »

thanks, but my level of lua didn't let me understand any of them to find them useful. I'll just workaround if nobody knows how to solve the problem, its a lot quicker. If i find solution in future I'll post it, so far just to let people know, things like \{ \} didn't work.

Ok,

local string st = "{campaigns/Heir_To_The_Throne/maps/01_The_Elves_Besieged.map}"
wesnoth.fire("replace_map",
{map = st, expand = "yes" , shrink = "yes" })
didn't work.

But

{VARIABLE st "{campaigns/Heir_To_The_Throne/maps/01_The_Elves_Besieged.map}"}
[lua]
code = <<
wesnoth.fire("replace_map",
{map = wesnoth.get_variable("st"), expand = "yes" , shrink = "yes" })
>>
[/lua]
has worked ;)

And just to give people more examples of how it works:
{campaigns/Heir_To_The_Throne/maps/01_The_Elves_Besieged.map} to get campaign map
{~add-ons/Optimisation_Tester/maps/4p_A_New_Land.map} to get map from any of your installed add-ons
{multiplayer/maps/4p_A_New_Land.map} to get any default multiplayer map that comes together with Wesnoth clean install.

Spoiler:
enclave

Post by enclave »

hi, any ideas why this filter would not work?

local bool bb = wesnoth.match_location(xx, yy, { terrain = wesnoth.get_variable("fvar_terrains"), { "not", { "filter_adjacent_location", { terrain = wesnoth.get_variable("fvar_village_type") } } } })
The particular place is { "not", { "filter_adjacent_location", because the following below code is working perfectly fine:

local bool b = wesnoth.match_location(xx, yy, { terrain = wesnoth.get_variable("fvar_terrains"), { "filter_adjacent_location", { terrain = wesnoth.get_variable("fvar_village_type") } } })
I tried multiple versions with notafter filter adjacent location... and without brackets.. doesn't work for me, says "bad argument #3, WML table expected, got table"
Thanks..
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

You need an additional {} around "filter_adjacent_location" ?

Edit: I mean, not just around that string, but around the string and the actual filter that follows it.
enclave

Post by enclave »

mattsc wrote:You need an additional {} around "filter_adjacent_location" ?

Edit: I mean, not just around that string, but around the string and the actual filter that follows it.
Thanks mattsc, I['m quite sure I already tried it and it didnt work.. so workaround was just to use some obvious and unneeded filter..
Something like that local bool bb = wesnoth.match_location(xx, yy, { terrain = wesnoth.get_variable("fvar_terrains"), "not", { x=0, { "filter_adjacent_location", { terrain = wesnoth.get_variable("fvar_village_type") } } } }) not sure exactly now.. lazy to search how i "solved" it.. since nobody cares. if anyone really needs it, just ask me.