Scenario Review: DiD 9 - A Small Favor - Part III

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

czarkoff

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 9 - A Small Favor - Part III

Post by czarkoff » May 4th, 2015, 10:41 am

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy, 1.12.2.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It is unclear where did Darken Volk get that army of his.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None. I could have probably waited a bit to have Darken Volk's forces suicide into mages, but apparently sacrificing a single zombie was enough to complete the level without any meaningful losses.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
1. No fun at all.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
As suggested before, I'd rather merge it with previous one. That said, during this scenario I levelled up two units, one of which helped me a lot in the future.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
09.gz
(37.07 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

troomar

Post by troomar » March 24th, 2017, 2:53 am

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Not really. Although I find this whole campaign really enjoyable and especially the character development element very interesting, this three-part storyline doesn't make much sense in some cases.

1) In Part I it is said that you have to sneak up to the chambers, because you cannot take over the whole town (or something like that), but I did! And according to posts in the topic of Part I many players did as well.
2) Ok, so I sneaked up / murdered everyone in the town and shut the trapdoor down behind me. It is then said that the shut trapdoor would prevent the army in the town to go after me. Well, if they don't have a necromancer in the town (I guess they don't :D) to raise all the corpses, I think I will be safe for some time.
3) Ok, then I slaughtered everyone in the chambers (Part II). It is not said anywhere but I suppose the underground part of the town does not spread any more widely than it is presented in the Part II. If there were an army hidden underground, the question is why they were not alarmed during the Part I.
4) Yay, I'm in the main chamber and then poof my master has just summoned a whole keep of an army. That's a bit weird, but you can play around it with the explanation that he just raised the corpses of the slaughtered men from previous chambers.
5) Then I got the book and had to leave the place. And again I had to flee, because hidden army was coming.

The main problem is that in Part I it is really hard to sneak up the army, but it's quite easy (even with minimum gold) to kill everyone. I had 4x lvl 3 Wraiths. I recalled them all and just went through the main gate. I killed around three waves of enemies and then approached the leader of the town. I killed him in two turns and he didn't call any troops (I'm not sure if he did before and just didn't have any gold anymore or if it was a bug - I played on the highest difficulty, version 1.13.6). The point is I didn't really tried to assassinate him, I just killed him because there wasn't anyone else around anymore.
Because it's much easier to kill everyone and many people do so, the plot in Part II and III makes little sense.

On the other hand I really like the opening of the Part III where you as an apprentice are showed with your little army standing next to your master with his army. And in the moment you realize you are not apprentice anymore. You are a grown necromancer.

Entengelaende

Post by Entengelaende » June 6th, 2017, 6:27 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Hard, 1.12.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 1
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Okay
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? None
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No

Britannicus

Post by Britannicus » June 29th, 2017, 4:29 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, Version 1.12.6

2. There were... what, 5 enemies on the whole map?

Very clear. Grab the book, then get out. It might help newer players to specify the book needs to be grabbed by Malin.

Some more dialog would be nice, maybe a little exchange when the book is found?

Nothing.

4. Weakest scenario of the campaign, imo, it's just over so quickly.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Larger map, more enemies, maybe events? Someone trying to ambush you when you try to leave?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.
Attachments
DiD-A_Small_Favour_—_Part_3_replay.gz
(37.48 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

Konrad2
Forum Regular

Post by Konrad2 » October 17th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Challenging, Version 1.14.1

2. My army was overkill.

Clear. Wreak mayhem, take the book, run.

It was...fine.

Absent.

3, not much to do.

I really have no idea.

No.
Attachments
DiD-A Small Favor — Part 3 replay.gz
(25.37 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
I am a Ghost: I drain the life energy from other people to survive and am hated/feared by regular people. Non-regular people don't like me either though.

LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan » November 23rd, 2018, 6:32 am

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear

- It's good. The search for book has been concluded and now what does that book do exactly? I still don't trust Darken Volk

- Get the book before Darken Volk does

- Again, make it once as a stealth scenario, not some hack-and-slash fest. Plus there should be some kind of specified guardian of that book. He could warn Malin Keshar the consequences of the book use

- No