Scenario Review: DiD 6 - Return to Parthyn

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord_Jez

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 6 - Return to Parthyn

Post by Lord_Jez »

Enjoyed the scenario (1.8.5, medium) but annoyed the sister is unkillable. Fought through to her, lost several veteran units and stacks of money, and then couldn't get my revenge.

Restarted and took the easy way out.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.10.2
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
100%
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I had almost forgotten about malvan's sister up until now, interesting development. I also liked the 3 loyal guys from the first mission returning, it was a blast from the past.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Deciding whether i had time to stick around and kill the orc or not. I didn't, but the humans killed him.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Fate is against me.
MetalRocks

Post by MetalRocks »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficulty: Medium with 341 starting gold.
Version: 1.10.0

2 Escaping.
5 Beating all the enemies.

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Quite interesting.

Not a big deal. By killing all the enemies I leveled up all my units and could have gained all the gold that I wanted. Certainly I could have lost a leveled unit, but that is not a big price for leveling the rest of the units and gaining infinite gold (the gold you get depends on how many turns you want to wait).

I recalled 2 wraiths (very useful), 10 bats (only two survived but, oh well), 2 dark sorcerers, 2 shadows and a nightgaunt.

If you want to try this strategy go to Dela's fort and place a unit (preferably a wraith) on her keep (because she is invulnerable, but she doesn't deal big damage to undead). Then launch an attack on the orc with 3 strong units, take all the villages and that's it. Just make sure you put the bats between you and the enemy when needed.

After killing the orc you might consider letting Dela recruit a unit as to level up yours. And take in account that the upkeep of your troops at max level can't exceed the gold you will earn owning all the villages (so that you get income).

See replay attachment (until turn 40, when the orc dies and you can start earning money).

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
-

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
-

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
Attachments
DiD-Return_to_Parthyn_replay.gz
(81.69 KiB) Downloaded 965 times
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Summoner (Difficult), 1.11.2

Clear.

Great. But I have a few nitpicks...

Malin believes that if he slays Drogan the rest of the village will see that he is only trying to protect them. After Drogan dies, I would suggest having some dialog in which Malin protests against the soldiers that he only wants what's best for the village, and encourages the idea of Drogan being the real traitor. Then, seeing that they won't listen, he would decide to retreat north.

Dela assumes the orcs are still Malin's allies even after he slays them all. Wouldn't it be obvious that he isn't on their side? It also is confusing to whether she is talking about the orcish hordes in general, or the ones in this scenario? The latter wouldn't make sense, because I killed them all.

First, there's Drogan. The real challenge, for me, was not actually killing him, but getting smothered by lawful units at daytime afterwards.

Then you have the orcs, who surprisingly weren't terribly tricky even with all their Crossbowmen. But by the time I killed the Warlord, Dela's forces were catching up and I had a wounded Nightgaunt on the wrong side of the river! Day was approaching and I definitely didn't want to lose him so I sent a low XP Skeleton and Walking Corpse to hold the loyalists at bay long enough for him to have a chance at fleeing.

Maybe add a turn limit so it's harder to kill Dela? I didn't try to do it, but since there's infinite turns and you have a pretty good army, I'm sure it could be done. Looking through the scenario's WML, I definitely think there should be a reward for the achievement as well.

Malin died once, and I restarted. It took me a while to figure out the best strategy to use at the beginning.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Well commented.
Attachments
(29.73 KiB) Downloaded 833 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.2 Summoner (difficult) – no reloads

If you don't care at all how many troops you lose it's not hard: around 5/10.
For winning without casualties: 8/10, definitely one of the harder scenarios, but not easy to give a score – it's somewhat luck dependent.

It's okay, not crystal clear (what happens if the orcs kill Drogan? Am I supposed to fight against my sisters troops?), but I figured it out.

There are some inconsistencies: you are blamed for Drogan's death if the orcs slay him; your sister complains about having to fight orcs, even if you killed all of them; you are seen as an orcish ally, even if you obviously fight against them. Overall story is very good, it becomes clear, that Malin gets ruined by his own hunger for revenge.

Finding out that you can lure Drogan into engaging you if you place a unit without ranged attack on the west side of your castle. Defeating the orc horde quickly enough and without losses, so that the humans can't catch up.
I spent my first attempt to fight against my sister's army: her base income is ridiculously high, so it's a tough and long fight. I am sure defeating her is possible but I restarted once I was sure that battling her is not intended, it would have been pretty cheesy to level all my troops this way.

Didn't like it, the whole design of the scenario. If you can actually evade combat with your sister's units and the resulting losses in a war on two fronts depends a lot on a few hit rolls. You need to dispatch certain units very swiftly or you will get stuck and that makes it pretty dicey and annoying. And you will need to find out that Drogan charges a certain unit type, just a random yet crucial discovery. But I am sure other people will love it the way it is.

Make Drogan's AI suicidal, there is no way to snipe him in time during the daylight in his castle. After Drogan is dead change to objective to “Kill Orc Chieftain” and skip the getting away part.

Several attempts until I managed to escape smoothly without losses.
Attachments
(29.36 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD
Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
For me, the best game is the one who gives the player the most freedom. Because of that, I am always exploring the limits of the game in order to find unexpected ways.
I found one of this unexpected results on the first scenario, Saving Parthyn. Should you finish the scenario without recruiting undead, you get an alternative ending. Malin is not banished from Parthyn - instead, he's told that her sister is badly injured, so he decides to pursue the orcs in order to avenge her. Another player wrote:
johndh wrote:If you beat the first scenario without summoning any undead, then there is no betrayal to speak of, but in this scenario Drogan will still refer to Malin's treachery, which didn't happen in this timeline.
However, at the start of the second scenario, the opening speech by Volk is about convincing Parthyn people to allow for Malin's return - as if he was banished. And then, in the Return to Parthyn scenario he is rejected not only by Drogan but also by the townsfolk.
I wanted to make sure, so I played the campaign from the start without recruiting or recalling undead. I even avoided entering the swamp at the second scenario in order to avoid recruiting the monsters unwillingly. I even replayed turns in order to avoid the accidental undead recruits you get when some unit attacks Darken Volk and dies during the attack (goblins and wolves make cute undead). The most difficult scenario was the fifth, Orc War - I only managed to finish it playing on the easy level. So, I finally got to this sixth scenario, Return to Parthyn, with positively no undead...
...and find that Malin has an Spectre by his side at the very start, and Malin's sister is alive and well and rejects him. There goes the happy ending I was looking forward to! Yes, I know, the campaign is called "Descent into Darkness" because of something- but I still was hoping for a surprise. What do I think about it?
1. Even tough I don't like it, truth is that players are not strangers to having their moves forced by the plot, not in games in general nor in this game in particular.
2. Having Malin recruit an undead "off-play" (I mean, without any action on the part of the player) is acceptable as a forced move - having an undead by his side justifies the townsfolk reaction against him. Also, having this undead speaking as a character serves as an interesting voice for Malin's own dark side.
3. It was nice having an alternative ending at the end of the first scenario, but it is disappointing to have it discontinued.
4. Malin's sister is invulnerable, as reported by other players (except thepinkpunk who claimed to kill her) - without any discernible justification.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Drogan's castle being so close to the ford, after killing Drogan the human units pretty much get Malin forces stuck, either preventing him from going for the orcs or putting so much pressure on his back units that makes impossible to maneuver.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8 - Fighting on two fronts is mostly fun, having to kill Drogan whilst avoiding to kill any other unit is fun too.
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Drogan should have a castle more to the left, and Malin should have Drogan's castle - having orcs coming from the right and humans from the left.
If Malin is bound to be banished from Parthyn in order to start his "Descent into Darkness", and in order to ensure this banishment he is going to recruit an undead "off-play", better have him do it straight on the first level. This way is better because: a) Darken Volk's speech at the start of scenario 2 wouldn't be inadequate, b) Malin wouldn't be oddly unsurprised to find his sister alive and well at the start of the scenario 6.
Also, I feel more speech is required between Malin and Dela. Another player referred this dialogue playing version 1.8.4:
GagarinGambit wrote:Malin: See what your traitorous ways have won you, Drogan?
Dela: You will pay for Drogan's death. Now that I have seen the true evil to which you have come, I will commit every guardsman to your demise. It pains me to think that you were once my brother.
Wraith/Shadow/Ghost: See master, she threatens you. She's not your kin any more, she's also a traitor. Let me dispose her for you.
Malin: Shut up creature! No one is to hurt my sister! It hurts to hear how she feels about me, after what I've done for Parthyn, but I wish her no harm. I need to leave and think...
Malin: And even with my new power, I cannot fight the entire town as well as the orcs, even if I wanted to. I must flee to the west to find Darken Volk![/spoiler]
The lines third (See master) and fourth (Shut up creature!) are missing in version 1.8.7. I think it was a mistake to delete these lines, they serve both the tasks of having more dialogue between the two brothers and establishing the fact that Dela is invulnerable (before you lose a lot of time developing a strategy to kill her).
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
fareley

Post by fareley »

(1) 1.10.6 hardest
(2) 1 (very easy)
(3) Unclear. First I thought killing the "traitor" would imply I could kill his guys too. Which was not the case. Also I thought that I could get to an alternate ending if I killed every single Orc and allowed all humans to live (which was very easy with 4 Ghosts on lvl 2 each to recall). I was severely disappointed that nothing happened at all when I wiped out the wolves, even though the humans just attacked me because they thought I was allied with the Orcs and helping them.
(4) see (3). It woulda made so much more sense if the sister thanked me for my efforts to kill the Orcs yet still send me away if I manage to wipe out all Orcs without touching any human. And if she then did not hunt me down or help me or start with much less gold or sth like that in Scenario 10.
(5) nothing really, all enemies have a hard time coping with 4 leveled Ghosts (and then some leveled Skeletons). I may have lost 2 of them, but they are rather easy to replace with a low lvl-up threshold.
(6) 4. Not being allowed to kill anything before you kill the traitor (if you wait too long you can never reach him anyway) makes it frustrating. Not getting anything out of killing the Orcs without touching the humans is frustrating. Not being able to kill my Sister after mowing down wave after wave and finally reaching her with just a few veterans left is frustrating.
(7) see (4). As others pointed out, tell the player that it is not possible to hit the sister (or allow for killing her and give some reward, maybe also some malus to Malin for grief)
(8) Trying to take on the sister. Killing anything but the traitor. Trying to milk humans for exp before running like a dog.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, gold? Hard, 1.11.15, 328 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 5 to run.
(3) Objectives? Almost clear. I wasn't 100% sure that only my leader could trigger the signpost ending.
(4) Dialog? Good.
(5) Challenges? I decided to cross the river east of the ford, to let the orcs battle the humans. The orcs were wiped out quickly, and I had to make decisions about which of my units to sacrifice to buy time against the humans. In the end, all my ghostly units and my leader were able to get to near the signpost, and then my leader ended it. One Skeleton survived in the far east. In looking at the replay, there were two occasions where I might have been able to kill all the units facing me, but it would have been risky. I hope the next scenario is beatable on minimum gold.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 8.
(7) Changes? None.
(8) Restarts? No restarts. No save-reloads.
Attachments
(76.92 KiB) Downloaded 898 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

1.10.4, hard, 311 starting gold

9, extremely difficult (if you like keeping your units alive)

Clear.

Malin's sister should recognize that you obviously aren't allied with the orcs (but still attack you since you are using undead.)

The beginning is very hard as you don't do enough damage during the daytime.
Then you are stuck between loyalists and orcs in the middle of the river.

3 - The beginning is annoying and then you are chased by a swarm of high level loyalists.

Killing Drogan is simply not possible unless you lure him out, and it's not fun having to constantly reload to guess the right unit to do so.
If he stays in his castle you basically instantly lose as it is daytime, you don't have enough hexes on him and furthermore you are being ZOCed and attacked by units which you are not allowed to kill.
Make it so he always leaves his castle!

Also this scenario maybe needs a turn limit; I was unable to stay and fight the loyalists but for a better player than me, or a player on easier difficulties this scenario could potentially turn into an infinite xp farm.

Yes, first took me a couple tries to figure out how to kill Drogan. First recruited normally (wraith in NW hex) and the humans didn't attack at all. Then tried recruiting a bat in the NW hex; the lvl 1 units all came to attack it but Drogan didn't; very frustrating since they ZOC you and you aren't allowed to kill them. Recruiting a shadow in the NW hex lured him out though.
Then it took me a couple more tries to figure out how to not get my shadows killed by the loyalists in the beginning (bats as cannon fodder were the answer).
No save loads.
Bloogonis

Post by Bloogonis »

1.10 and earlier easy and normal
moderate
clear enough
very interesting, but I would like a separate set as I will mention in (7)
Escaping over the ford amidst the battle with both the humans and Orcs fighting everything. very enjoyable
Very
The only change I would add to this scenario would be an option to not kill Drogan. once the orc chief is slain the exit signpost should become available since that is the original stated objective. Additional exit dialogue for this could be Malin imploring them to change their minds about him and Drogan begging you to never to return because even though you are now evil in his eyes he still loath to kill you; however your sister vows to free you from your torment, ultimately requiring little variation in later levels. its just a personal quirk, even though Malin is going mad and is a necromancer, his whole being at this point is focused on protecting his home, and he isn't inherently a bad guy. so killing Drogan seems counter to his overarching goal.
I always see his fall into darkness is when he murders his mentor (and optionally his sister and a paladin) over perceived slights and for the secrets of the book, making the killing of Drogan, though a very clear stain on him, much less eventful. you kill him in one round usually and he is the aggressor in the fight, making killing him as a matter of survival and self defense at least to some extent.
tl;dr: Drogans death is far to insignificant to the overall growth of Malin and you should be allowed to avoid it and hold to your overarching goal of protecting your home from orcs even if they will still hate you for it.
Making an effort not to kill Drogan and finding myself swarmed by dozens of enemies far outstripping my gold levels and cutting me off from killing Drogan and escape. (so basically my own darn fault :P )
czarkoff

Post by czarkoff »

Easy, 1.12.2.

Clear.

Storyline is weak here. Everyone accuses Malin of forging alliance with orcs, which is rather strange: from the very beginning Malin was obsessed with killing orcs. Also Malin is said to be banished even if he really wasn't.

Keeping units alive. Everything else was rather trivial.

The gameplay side is OK, but the dialogues are problematic: people of Parthyn suffer from orcs and previously spared Darken Volk for killing orcs. In this situation their decision to attack Malin seems plain stupid. Some explanation should be added. Probably, it should be said that undead recently attacked Parthyn, and it could be later said to be Darken Volk's action supposed to secure Malin's help in acquiring the book.

Not this time. Previously I had hard time keeping my units alive, but this time I even stroke back. I am not even sure I couldn't have killed everyone there.
Attachments
06.gz
(43.29 KiB) Downloaded 669 times
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Med, Wesnoth 1.10.5, iOS iPad 1.0.4 (replay uploads and downloads not available as of yet)

Ended on turn 11 with -137 gold.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 6
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? The 1st objective was clear, kill Drogan but not any Parthyn citizens. The 2nd objective was clear from the dialog. The objective "Escape to the Northwest" really meant "Get Malin to the signpost."

We find out the reason Malin was expelled. I thought it wasn't something so bad as to expel him, poor kid can't catch a break anywhere. Maybe suspended for a few days or made to write, "I will not pick on Toad" a hundred times on the blackboard.

I liked the rant Malin had at the end. He is losing touch with his human side.

Having negative gold. I did not want to lose any units so had to tread carefully.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 9. It was fun!

More villages to heal wounded and get some points.

Yes, some reloads because I didn't want to lose units.

Strategy: Recalled 2 keeps of leveled units, total of 12 units.

Drogan moved close enough to kill. After removing him, I started moving everyone across the river on the sandbar, trying not engage the humans. Simply tried to stay ahead of them. Took out the orc's troops as we went. Formed a line in the river to defend against the humans when needed, only attacking soldiers if it cost me no points. This is because the soldiers had high hit points and could easily kill. And I wanted to save the easier kills from the north army for myself. Took out all the Orc's troops and leveled my units. It was hard killing the orc boss because by now many of my heavy-hitters (necrophages and draug) were wounded. I used 2 Dark Sorcerers and Malin to finish him.

There were 2 humans directly on my flank. Used a Spectre and a "quick" Dark Sorcerer to remove them. Then I just ran because by then there was a large group of soldiers closing in. Malin reached the signpost in the nick of time, one more turn and they would have caught up. It was a pretty quick game, I didn't want to drag it out. Didn't lose any units this way and leveled many. Ended with 2 Dark Sorcerers, a Spectre, 2 Shadows, 2 Nighgaunts, 2 Nechrophages, a Ghast, a Draug and Malin a Dark Mage.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
Entengelaende

Post by Entengelaende »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Hard, 1.12.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 8
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Quite interesting
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Keeping my units alive when the town troops arrive during the second day
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Losing too many units during the second day
Britannicus

Post by Britannicus »

Challenging, Version 1.12.6

6, the non-stop reinforcements from Parthyn in combination with most of your units being slower than theirs makes for a bit of a challenge.

Extremely.

Pretty good, although it felt weird to me to be introduced to my sister, which had never been mentioned before, even though my family was mentioned several times. I'd either cut out the sister stuff or introduce her earlier, because the way it is seems confusing to me.

Getting into the ford in time, then blasting the last few orcs away so I wouldn't be slowed down too much.

8. Once again an unusual challenge while at the same time a good chance to level some units.

See dialog. Other than that, it's pretty great!

Failing to assassinate Drogan.
Attachments
(49.42 KiB) Downloaded 828 times
trickitiki

Post by trickitiki »

1) High, version 12
2) Easy way (just running away as soon as possible) - 3
Hard way (punishing all the citizens) - 8
3) Completely clear.
4) Could be better. This people are convinced our hero as a traitor even if he helped killing many orcs.
5) Invincible sister.
6) 6
7) I wish there were some plot alternatives depending on chosen way. E.g. killing orcish jeddak, human warriors or simply running to the sign. Also, as people already said, there was a way to get opportunity of unlimited grind even with unkillable sister.
8 ) Except of sisters awesome hit chance, nothing special. Mb just some tactical mistakes.
Attachments
stupid_dela_haha.jpg