Scenario Review: DiD 3 - A Haunting in Winter

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

czarkoff

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 3 - A Haunting in Winter

Post by czarkoff » May 3rd, 2015, 7:25 am

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy, 1.12.2.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I absolutely loved that rogue shadow. I'd probably add some dialogues between enemy leaders and player's approaching army. On "easy" Darken Volk could actually mention the weaknesses of opposing forces or even give some advice.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None, although I guess the rogue shadow would cause some problems if it was to rebel in worse circumstances.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7, and probably 2 without rogue shadow.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I'd give dwarfs substantially more gold, so that I'd actually have to recruit and fight after killing outlaws.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
03.gz
(28.43 KiB) Downloaded 137 times

shadow12

Post by shadow12 » November 21st, 2015, 1:19 am

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Med. Wesnoth 1.10.5, iOS 1.0.4 ver
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 8
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? A little vague. It said to clear the cave of the enemy, so I literally killed them all. It should say kill both enemy leaders.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? very interesting story!
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? killing Trolls. They are strong. It took 3-4 ghosts per troll. Recruited 5 ghosts, one rebelled, one got killed by a dwarf, two leveled up to wraiths.
Bats were not very beneficial in this one. 2 Ghouls took care of the bandits, 3 ghosts took care of the trolls.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 9. The ghost rebell was a fun twist. Right next to my 2 necromancers, of all places! I love having ghosts on my side!!! They are so fast and wraiths become invisible at night.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? none, good as is!
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? no
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.

Entengelaende

Post by Entengelaende » June 5th, 2017, 10:47 am

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Hard, 1.12.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 6
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Okay
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Taking out the dwarf leader
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No

Britannicus

Post by Britannicus » June 28th, 2017, 11:15 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Challenging, Version 1.12.6

3, the sentinel in the beginning is somewhat of a toughie and the first wave of bandits takes a bit of thinking, after that, it's a piece of cake since the dwarves just charge into the swamp one by one.

Pretty clear, although you might want to specify that the objective is to kill the leaders, not necessarily all enemies.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Very interesting and well-written. I was confused at the beginning, since the wording of the text before the scenario starts, about the two necromancers travelling, lead me to believe it would be a scenario about the two of them... well, travelling, in autumn. But no biggie, just some confusion.

The part about the Ghost's rebellion was pretty interesting as well.

Overcoming the first few enemies with just level one units in an area with limited mobility for my mages.

9. Slaughtering dwarves trying to cross a swamp has been one of the most rewarding and fun experiences I have ever had in Wesnoth.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Nothing really comes to mind, except maybe teach the dwarf to send his troops in pairs or something like that.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

I once lost Darken because I exposed him too much, nothing else.
Attachments
DiD-A_Haunting_in_Winter_replay.gz
(36.8 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Konrad2
Forum Regular

Post by Konrad2 » August 28th, 2018, 10:02 am

Challenging, Version 1.14.1

4, dealing with the Bandits is the though part. Afterwards there are just straggler dwarfs. (Also keeping the ghosts close until one of them rebelled.)

Clear.

I enjoyed it.

Defeating the bandits with my mages being my only good damage dealers and tanks.

9. That swamp was very bad news for the dwarves. xD

Add a sleeping dwarf to some (maybe random?) village who wakes up when you take it.

Dead Mage while tanking.
Attachments
DiD-A Haunting in Winter replay.gz
(25.86 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
I am a Ghost: I drain the life energy from other people to survive and am hated/feared by regular people. Non-regular people don't like me either though.

LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan » November 20th, 2018, 8:51 am

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear

- Good. I like it how it shows that a real necromancer would be in control of his ghostly units, indicating they aren't that immediately obedient. Though I wonder why dwarves and bandits are allied?

- Getting across the swamp with non-flying units

- I think that there should be more than one rebellious ghost

- None