Scenario Review: DiD 10 - Alone at Last

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

shadow12

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 10 - Alone at Last

Post by shadow12 » November 24th, 2015, 4:48 am

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium. Starting gold 319. Ended on turn 12 with 12 units. Lost one veteran Shadow.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 9
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Very interesting, about a boy's decent into dark magic. And now he is betrayed by his mentor.
By the way, I think Volk is a toad. Malin should give him boils! Oh wait, we kill him. Good.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Figuring out the best strategy. Not getting killed by Gweor and a Paladin.
The key to winning was that I stationed my units (Draugs and Ghasts work great) on the island, killing the enemy when they were in the river. By turn 8 I had defeated all of DV's army, except DV. Put some skeletons and bats in the south as bait to divert the Wesnothian army when they appeared. Kept the ghosts out of the Paldin's range. Used necromancers and draugs with Malin to defeat Volk.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 9. it was fun playing with high level troops! I like surprises!
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? good as is! We just need some more villages on our side of the river so we don't finish with negative gold.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? A couple of reloads.

Strategy:
1. Recalled 10 units. (Mostly lvl 3) Plus recruited a few expendable bats and skeletons.
2. Stationed my units on the river bank. By turn 8 I had killed all enemy except Volk, who sat like a lump in his castle.
3. Moved some Necromancers, Malin, and a Draug to take out Volk in his castle.
4. On Turn 8 the Wesnothian army appears in the southwest, complete with their own castle and Gweor, a Mage of Light.
The Wesnothian Paladins (horsemen) can kill a Nightguant or Septre in one turn, so I kept the ghosts out of their range.
5. Stationed some tough units (Draugs and Ghasts) on the island. Moved skeletons and bats in the south as bait to divert the Wesnothian army. One bat made it through a whole turn in an attack from both Gweor and a Paladin! Tough little guy.
6. Volk drops the book when he is killed. I had Malin pick it up. Used a few Necromancers and Draugs to protect him on the way back. They can usually survive if hit by a Paladin. Ghosts can't.
7. At turn 11 the angry sister, Dela, shows up with a castle of her own and more troops in the north. As usual, she is not too happy with her brother.
She did not pose a threat because by turn 12 Malin made it back to his castle with the book and it was game over.
I lost only one veteran Shadow and the three that I used as bait.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.

Entengelaende

Post by Entengelaende » June 6th, 2017, 6:30 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Hard, 1.12.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 9
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Quite interesting
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Figuring out which units to use, especially for carrying the book
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 7
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Darken Volk's troops once got killed too fast to fight the paladins so they were after me

Britannicus

Post by Britannicus » July 2nd, 2017, 7:39 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Version 1.12.6, Challenging.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Decent, 6/10.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not getting Malin killed, holding back the Paladins without incurring too many losses.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Around a 6, I guess.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Is it possible to remove the Wesnoth factions from the status list until they spawn? Because that kinda ruins the fun and the surprise for first time players imo.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Losing too many valuable units to the paladin charge.
Attachments
DiD-Alone_at_Last_replay.gz
(45.59 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Konrad2
Forum Regular

Post by Konrad2 » July 23rd, 2018, 8:55 pm

Version 1.14.1, Challenging.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I like it, 7.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Crushing the enemies in the right order and avoiding losses against the undead and paladins.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Around a 7, maybe?

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
-

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Losing too many valuable units to the undead mage menace and the paladin charge.
Attachments
DiD-Alone at Last replay.gz
(42.33 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
I am a Ghost: I drain the life energy from other people to survive and am hated/feared by regular people. Non-regular people don't like me either though.