Scenario Review: DiD 12 - Endless Night

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 12 - Endless Night

Postby nuorc » February 27th, 2015, 4:19 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.12.1

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2. (As I know now you have to win one time.)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very, very bad. It says early finish bonus and there's no turn limit. It says gold carryover to next scenario and that this is the last scenario. If the goal is to confuse new players maybe just leave it out instead of stating wrong and contradictory stuff.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
ok

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
n/a

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
3. Last time I got there I lost interest due to the repetitiveness and just left. This time I died in a timely manner. Might've enjoyed it more if I cared about seeing up to how much gold I can succeed. My actual playing experience was less than a three, I give a bonus for the originality.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
As this is as it is supposed to end, I guess you can't change a lot. Maybe if I was hinted at the second round that his might go on or might be beat I would have cared more and tried harder. Maybe I would have liked some reconciling last words ('... finally find peace...') better than 'Who was that guy?', but that could be a question of taste.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
na.
I have a cunning plan.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Postby czarkoff » May 5th, 2015, 12:38 am

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy, 1.12.2.

1: forces of foolish hero were of lower level then my troops, so it was not difficult at all.

Pretty clear, I guess, although I didn't play it after completing the first time.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
OK.

None (apart from levelling up several troops I wanted to see at level 3 in action).

3, although it would probably be more fun once hero recruits better units.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None, actually. In my opinion this ending fits the story. It would be nice if Malin's comments would become less enthusiastic with every next scenario, ending with something like "Yes, yes, now either try or go away and leave me alone."

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
12.gz
(44.29 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
czarkoff

Postby Entengelaende » June 6th, 2017, 6:36 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Hard, 1.12.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 4
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Not interesting
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Surviving the first wave of units
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 2
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? More interesting dialouge, maybe individual dialogue for each of the hero types when you are finally defeated
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No
Entengelaende

Postby Szturmowiec » June 21st, 2017, 10:25 pm

This campaign was the best which I've played so far. The best story ever written. It inspired me to think about the necromancy in the other way. Is it really that evil? The main character initially had good intentions. He used it for the greater good. He wasn't like many other necromanters who seek power and dominance. He was still a good person to me and the fact that he has made some corpses walking couldn't change my opinion. I know he was eventually corrupted, but I still refuse to blame the dark magic for this, at least not only it. It was the narrow-minded people who didn't want to listen him. They refused to accept "what has to be done", and they paid the price for it by having their homes destroyed by the orcs. He was corrupted because everyone turned against him argumenting that "necromancy is a heresy". If only they listened him and opened their minds before it was too late... :cry:

As for the scenario itself, I dind't like it both for gameplay and for the story. As for difficulty, I simply didn't have the patience to repeat it enough times so it became challenging enough for me and if I didn't google that I wouldn't ever know that the real ending is shown after the death of Malin. Also it ruined the whole climat for me, because he wasn't evil to me for the most part of the campaign and he deserved something other than edning up being just another "boring" lich. I don't claim it has to be positive, but Malin was too unique to not participate in epic battle at the end.

I would also like to see some kind of sequel to it, because from what I've learned the fact that his skeleton got destroyed doesn't neccesarily mean he's dead...

P.S. The story was so great than one day I'd propably write my own campaign about the "bright" side of the necromancy. :roll:
That was the hell of a firefight. And the ammunition depleted so fast... I'm pinned down by those damned machine guns and don't know what to do next.
Szturmowiec

Postby Britannicus » July 2nd, 2017, 7:45 pm

Version 1.12.6, Challenging.

First hero? 1

Very clear. Destroy the foolish hero.

It's a fitting ending to the campaign, wrapping up one of my absoulte favourite campaigns in Mainline.

Nothing.

8, it's fun to just blast recruits away with your veterans.

Maybe make the difficulty rise faster between each hero.

Nope.
Attachments
DiD-Endless_Night_replay.gz
(33.47 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Britannicus

Postby Kylix » September 14th, 2017, 8:45 pm

On the next version, the scenario's goal should be changed from "Defeat the Foolish Hero" to "Resist as long as you can", in a similar way to "Pebbles in the Flood" in "South Guard".
Kylix

Previous

Return to Descent into Darkness