Scenario Review: SotBE 17 - Human Horde

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

SBak

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 17 - Human Horde

Post by SBak » September 28th, 2013, 4:34 am

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging (easiest) 1.8.5 and 1.10.5

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

4 - there's a lot of enemies but I find the Earl oscillates between the two main Loyalist strategies (using the Spearman/Bowman lines and the Heavy Infantry/Mage lines) which blunts any offensive impact the enemy could have against my forces.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Not very - what does 'hold out' mean here exactly? Against what?

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Interesting enough.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Working out how to achieve what I understood to be the scenario objectives. I recruit my veterans in the central keep expecting some onslaught against which I was supposed to 'hold out' against. I saw Heavy Infantry positioned in the walls with Cavalrymen and anticipated a Heavy Infantry/Mage offensive so recalled Crossbowmen/Slurbows and Warriors/Warlords to defend the southern most wall (thinking the onslaught would begin at dawn).

However when I saw the Earl recruiting and recalling Longbowmen and Swordsmen I was confused further so started to recall Slayers and Pillagers and Trolls. When the enemy engaged my allies with two offensive strategies I decided to lend support from dusk and sent my Slayers and Pillagers ahead of the other units adopting a strategy of attack is the best form of defence.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
9 - it felt good to be able to play Orcs and Trolls well enough to win convincingly aided by strong allies. The inconsistency of my units was buffeted by the diffuse Loyalist offensive. It was sad to lose Vrag, one of my veteran Pillagers and also Plonk the Slayer and the Saurians did their bit too.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None I can think of.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Losing Kapou'e in the thick of the action.

Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 » May 20th, 2014, 4:57 pm

(1) Level, version, gold? Nightmare, 1.11.13, 355 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 9.5, I assume it has been revised after the previous reviews.
(3) Clear? Clear.
(4) Dialog? There is a run-on sentence.
(5) Challenges? Overwhelming enemy, suicidal allied leaders.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 8.
(7) Changes? As others have suggested, make the allied leaders passive, either always or just if you select defensive strategy for your allies.
(8) Restarts? 2 save-reloads to save Gruu early on, and 2 save-reloads to save the western allied leader.

Replay is attached. After several failed attempts to last until turn 25, my plan this time was to lure the enemy leader out of his keep and kill him. My plan failed. I only once got a unit within the enemy leader's strike range, and my unit (Direwolf Rider) was killed without the enemy leader coming out. However, with the help of some save-reloads, I lasted all 25 turns this time. Nearly my whole roster was wiped out. Inarix and Jetto both died. It's interesting that lasting until the end of turns is a workable strategy, despite what some of the reviewers above said.

I found a strategy to help keep the allied leaders from committing suicide. Select an allied leader and look where he can move. Then use your units to cover all the hexes where he could move to attack the enemy. Maybe that's obvious and you've done it all along, but I only just now figured it out. :)

Edit: I found that the last scenario was impossible with minimum gold, so I replayed this one with an eye towards gold. I decided to not assassinate, instead getting lots of villages, taking over my western allied leader's keep, and then stopping my recruitment several turns before the end of turns.
Attachments
SotBE-The_Human_Attack_replay.gz
Later, better replay, more gold carryover.
(109.06 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Original.
(110.08 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

podbelski

Post by podbelski » August 4th, 2014, 4:58 pm

1.11.15, medium difficulty

seems I'm done here, can't force myself into playing the last two maps. Hordes of lancers is not the thing I'm getting fun of fighting against

the sc17 might be ok for my taste if there were less lancers... the sc18 seems an overkill for me.

overall it's a great campaign, I enjoyed the majority of the maps. Thanks and GL to developers and supporters!

sine_nomine

Post by sine_nomine » May 3rd, 2016, 1:20 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Nightmare 1.12.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
390 starting gold

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Tons of enemies.
I had a pretty solid recall list and was approaching the end of the campaign so I didn't mind the heavy losses that I suffered.
I basically just spammed units and threw them at the enemy (and held the castle terrain during the day).
By the way, I'm not sure if it's because I told them to be defensive, but the allied leaders didn't leave their keep to attack even when it was safe to do so. They're certainly not suicidal.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Nothing

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I made two attempts to lure the enemy leader out of his keep, but he refused to move regardless of the bait I presented (this is good, it would be too easy if you could easily win in 6-7 turns). No restarts when aiming for the time limit.
Attachments
(110.29 KiB) Downloaded 98 times