Scenario Review: SotBE 15 - Civil War

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

shadow12

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 15 - Civil War

Post by shadow12 » January 27th, 2016, 10:47 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging (easiest), Wesnoth 1.10.5, iOS app ver 1.0.4
Ended on turn 22/40, Starting gold 1007, Finishing gold 347, Carry over gold 417
Losses 10, kills 50.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 9
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear.
Note that In this scenario, the upkeep cost for each unit is decreased by 1.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
At first I was puzzled why Kapou'e didn't try negotiating with these orcs first, I thought he wanted to prevent orcish infighting. Although his tactics might seem undiplomatic, I understand why he wanted to quickly eliminate any disloyalty and squash any uprisings before things got even more out of hand. And he was furious at Smug and the other traitors for making him look like a fool... and for making popsicles out of the Shamen. :shock:

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
My biggest challenge was figuring out how many units I needed, what types, and where to send them. To start with I recalled all of my veterans (about 25). Then I recruited a mix of units.

I sent a large team to the southeast. However, by the time they got past the mountain range, only a few enemy units remained. This was because both of the southern kings sent most of their troops to the northwest, presumably to stop Kapou'e from getting to the signpost. I think that it would have been better to send a few Direwolves and wolf riders over the mountains, instead of sending a large team.

The snow created a new dynamic for the game. In this scenario there were a number of skirmishes happening all around the map, so I had to have a strategy different from what I normally use (big battles). Setting up offensive formations and defensive lines was difficult, sometimes impossible, as most of the fighting occurred on or adjacent to the dirt roads. The snow and mountains slowed down reinforcements. Knowing that reinforcements would not arrive quickly, each units's strengths and weaknesses became even more vital to the outcome of each battle.

Admittedly it often felt tedious moving units across the snow. But one advantage was that it made it difficult to be ambushed.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8. I enjoyed the scenario, the snow made me think of new ways to strategize.

The map was really well designed with bridges, lakes, roads, forests, high mountains, deep valleys, etc. I would love to revisit this map in a summertime setting!

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Additional roads going north and south.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I was tempted to restart when I saw that I had too many units the southeast, but I finished it and everything worked out ok.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.

sine_nomine

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 15 - Civil War

Post by sine_nomine » May 3rd, 2016, 12:51 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Nightmare 1.12.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
395 starting gold

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
clear

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Surprisingly not as difficult as it appeared despite my low carryover gold (seems the starting gold has been increased since prior reviews). I recalled a ton of units from the start so I could quickly overpower the closest enemy leader and so I could kill enemy units before they all piled up and I was able to secure advantageous terrain during the battle. The downside is that I went so deeply negative in gold that I had no chance of a carryover bonus. As a result, I decided to take my time making it to the end (and still had some time to spare). I suspect this scenario would be doable with some more level 1s than I used, and I could have visited a couple more villages, so a gold bonus is attainable.
It's also quite important to heal as much as possible through soothsayer(s) and levelling, as you will take lots of damage even with the terrain advantage.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
The major engagement is fun but killing defenseless leaders and walking to the signpost isn't so interesting.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
You could try radically changing the scenario by having orcs oppose eachother or something but I think this scenario is quite fun as is.
Another possibility is to have a leader's troops disappear if you kill the leader because they surrender to you or whatever (and indicate that in the dialogue), making it more feasible to split your forces and assassinate the leaders.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
One trial run to get an idea how the enemies would converge and where I should position my units, plus one more restart due to dumb mistakes.
Attachments
SotBE-Civil_War_replay.gz
(86.1 KiB) Downloaded 98 times