Scenario Review: SotBE 14 - Back Home

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sine_nomine

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 14 - Back Home

Post by sine_nomine »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Nightmare 1.12.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
271 starting gold

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
clear (but I agree the ending dialogue could use some work)

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Fighting off the initial group of loyalists and subsequent elves without major losses. I find it's best to fight on frozen land rather than dealing with the high evasion rates of castle terrain. You can set up a nice concave formation for the loyalists to walk into and you have time to retreat during the daytime.
I might have been lucky with my allies, but the way it worked out for me was perfect. You can't really help the northeast ally aside from diverting some attention with your trolls, but he can hold his own, and you can support with southeast ally with wolves.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
9.5, it's great.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Nothing

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I restarted a couple times while trying to figure out how to endure the early attacks by loyalists and elves. The rest of the map went smoothly.
Attachments
SotBE-Back_Home_replay.gz
(100.82 KiB) Downloaded 724 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Challenging

- Very clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- Very good to me. Giving a payback to these humans and that elf prince was pretty satisfying. The revelation of shamans being murdered with the possible betrayal of Shan Taum the Smug is the nice twist

- Snow, snow and MORE snow

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- Give some dialogue after defeating all the enemy leaders

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

- No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.2, Warlord (Nightmare), 205g + 102g

Clear.

Clear.

Saving my allies.

5, very slow.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
SotBE-Back Home replay.gz
(71.89 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

There seems to be a bug in in the latest 1.15 version. In the next scenario, you lose access to all trolls that you didn't recall in this scenario. You can see this by ending my replay and doing 'continue scenario' to the next scenario, and then checking the recall list. I had several troll warriors and 5 or 6 rocklobbers in my recall list in this scenario, but they're all gone in the next one.
SotBE-Back Home.gz
(36.3 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
(Edit: I opened a Github issue with more context)
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

- 1.14.7, Warlord(Nightmare), 300 + 90 = 390 starting gold, no reloading turns

Perfectly clear

I don't know who "they" refers to in the line "boy they sure built this place up". Otherwise, the dialog is high quality. Some hilarious dialog when the plan doesn't get executed perfectly.

Taking the southwest human keep is the hardest part of the scenario but because it occurs at the start its easy to just restart until you manage to do it. From there, the southeast ally is actually at some level of risk, you may have to send some support to him to keep him alive or alternatively win before he dies (This is an added incentive to finishing fast, as delaying risks his possible death). I actually had to sacrifice a Goblin Pillager just to make sure he doesn't die. Saurians not having good movement over snow - the saurian healer cant always be positioned ideally.

8. There are a lot of scenarios in Wesnoth where you are in the middle and are being attacked from all sides, however this flips the script because you are attacking the enemy from all sides!

None so far.

When I first won I lost a loyal assassin so I played the scenario again to get him back. Some restarts while trying to take the southwest keep since its quite challenging to accomplish.

Tips
You need Saurian healers so that you can move out and heal at the same time.
Attachments
SotBE-Back Home replay2.gz
(77.76 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

Nightmare 1.16.6
6. Your units die FAST to lvl 2 loyalists in the snow, so figuring out how stay alive was a struggle.
very
I liked it. Gruu is funny as always, the ending has a very dramatic twist, and Kapoue responding with some war crimes of his own seems very in-character.
timing and not getting too aggressive with loyalists.
8. Placing constraints on the player leads to interesting new strategies. I think I recruited more grunts here than I have in the whole rest of the campaign. They just got so overshadowed by the trolls, so it's interesting to be forced to actually use them. You're put in a defensive position where your allies actually bail you out, a nice change of pace from usual useless AI allies.
none, i like it as is.
Getting too aggressive early. I lost too many units trying to push past the castle tiles to the loyalist keep. I had to restart and play more defensive at first.