Scenario Review: SotBE 13 - Dwarvish Stand

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SotBE 13 - Dwarvish Stand

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
wohlganger

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 13 - Dwarvish Stand

Post by wohlganger »

1.5: crashes on first AI turn, "unit of type not found!". bug written in bug tracker.
the beginning conversation was very good.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Warlord (Nightmare) 1.5.7

6. The lack of movement due to the snow meant that I had to plan my turns out in advance so that I did not get surrounded by the dwarves. Surprisingly the outlaws proved to be harder to deal with at first due to numbers, but folded quickly.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Fairly consistent with the rest of the campaign.

None.

6. The map is a nice change, and the idea fits in well with the scenario, just nothing that made me love it.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Good as is, though possibly make the map less dwarf friendly in the north.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Egosnemesis

Post by Egosnemesis »

The easiest, "Challenging". Played on Wesnoth 1.6.1

4. I had plenty of gold from the previous scenario and there wasn't too much strategy here. Everyone is terrible at defending on ice, so I used trolls (who are generally terrible defending period) and rotated them. Works out well when no one can dodge and you're the only one with regeneration.

Clear

Solid

Snow is really slow to move in, but worked in my favor since many outlaw units can dodge well in other terrain. I think it ended up being a relative advantage for me.

5. Good for the storyline, but trudging through snow with little defensive terrain didn't seem that fun.

Have a road in the middle and some mountains or an old castle to fight over? Maybe have a couple dwarves in that castle to start and they keep getting reinforced so you need to take control of the castle from them?

No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

medium, 1.6

Standard: kill all enemy leaders

really nice as the whole campaign, specially the dwarf mocking the elves.

- that some of my units were hardly moving on the snow
- griphons
- that those dwarves are very tough
while none of these was really difficult.

4-5 nice terrain overall, but the snow slows everything down.

a road would really be nice, but it would change everything much.

no.

N/A
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium, ver. 1.6.5

Kill, kill, clear.

Clear, storyline - average. "We found them! Ok - kill!"... But a liked the Troll jokes :)

Remember, that Dwarfs have 30% in forest -> trying to engage them there. Preety easy, if You controll yourself and keep units in smart formation.

8 - I love defence missions! And the terrain is good - the snow in the middle is some kind of "Death Row" :)

What effort is to turn our Dwarves into i.e. "Orks Hunters Clan" - more Gryphs and bersekers? And I would consider Elves returning - some kind of "rear guard".

Bad luck few times...

N/A
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.4, Warrior (Difficult), i.e. (what I consider) Normal difficulty

Clear

Fine. Gruu is fun as always :)

Bad defense due to bad terrain, my allies having a bit of bad luck early on, and being unable to attack the desired target due to interference from my allies’ units.

I think it’s fine as it is. But maybe have the dwarves and the outslaws say something when they are defeated.

None
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Difficult, 1.8.5

3 - One timer, no reloads, no casualties.

Clear. Kill Frik and Frak.

Har.

Making sure the griffins attacked my allies. I used the frozen river in the NW to kill the dwarves. Assassins, archers, and trolls were helpful on this board.

I finished in round 13/30 with 68 gold and will start next scenario with 190 bonus gold.

8 - I liked not losing troops, the slow movement got annoying (though it made it easier to pick off enemies).

Good as is.

Nope.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Nightmare; 1.9.2; 422 starting gold (minimum is 300)

Clear.

Fine.

My allies rushed out on the ice, allowing a Griffon to level up, creating quite a terror. Northern flank was rough due to said terror bird, dwarves in mountains, and the fact that I had sent a weaker force there, since I planned only a holding action there, though they killed all the enemy with the help of the northern ally. Another problem was that I had recruited a lot of Saurians, not realizing how worthless they are on snow.

It suffers from the usual Wesnoth scenario problem of an anticlimactic finish. I suggest a Griffon keep, pumping out Griffons to keep things interesting to the end. You know how seabirds nest on little pinnacles? I suggest a 2 hex fortress out at sea at top left. If you have to kill that leader too, then it would be more challenging.

No.

There... are... no... comments.
Attachments
SotBE-The_Dwarvish_Stand_replay.gz
(277.28 KiB) Downloaded 883 times
Faello

Post by Faello »

Nightmare (Warlord), 1.8.5, no saves/reloads, 435 starting gold

This scenario has some pretty difficult terrain (a lot of snow) and Darstang's (steelclad, purple) gryphon riders combined with Sagmar's (bandit, black) bandits and trappers make an annoying set of opponents to deal. Thankfully, if player will decide to go mass-trolls (almost exclusively lvl1) with some poison support (assasins, slayers and especially Direwolf Riders), it results in below medium difficulty level. Player can also easily save a lot of gold pieces in this scenario if he has done well in the previous one.

Finished it 10 turns before the turn limit.

1 loss, 26 kills in this one.

Crystal clear.

It was interesting. Player was finally able to finish off Darstang the "Cocky Dwarf".

Taking down steelclads on 70%def hexes wihout losses, luring opponents to low-def terrain, defending SE part of the map from bandit attacks (Al'Brock forces were defeated quickly and warlord had to be reinforced with some trolls to protect him)

It's interesting, well designed yet simple scenario, but difficult terrain kind of sucks part of the fun from it.

None, it's good as it is.

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
Dwarvish Stand replay, Nightmare (Warlord) difficulty level, 1.8.5, no saves/reloads
(50.12 KiB) Downloaded 879 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Warrior, 1.8.5.
(2) 1. Perhaps I'm playing at the wrong skill level :-), but I didn't feel so earlier in the campaign. Started with 469 gold, finished on turn 12.
(3) Clear.
(4) Good.
(5) None. Finding spots where I can get XP ahead of my allies without exposing my good units to too much danger. I replayed from turn 4 because I massively overrecruited expecting a big battle, but again my allies just needed a bit of help and they could do most of the work.
(6) 4. The change of scenery is nice. Dragging around saurians in this terrain — not so nice.
(7) Really the only problem here is that I'm at the wrong difficulty, it seems. It would be an interesting fight if the enemy was strong enough to beat my allies so that I had to use the terrain for a real fight.
(8) No.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Grunt (Challenging) on 1.9.6

3, not much problems. The dwarves were good in the mountains, but poisoning did a good job.

Clear enough, kill the enemy leaders.

The dialogue was clear, and interesting enough. I'm guessing this is supposed to be an easy scenario after the last one, so that not much really needs to be said.

Really low mobility and fighting the dwarves in the mountains.

3. Watching your foot units move 1-2 hexes a turn is not fun.

Add some roads starting from your camp.

Nope, it was easy enough.

N/A
line

Post by line »

Warlord (Nightmare) 1.10.3
469 starting gold (allies: 219?/219?, enemies:300/450)
Finished turn 14/27

4. Still easy, but nasty ground. It seems my allies had more money, than they were supposed to have. Should have been 100 gold each instead of 219.

Clear.

Nice as is. Grüü eating a dog and wanting a pony next doesn’t fit in the wesnoth storyline, where it says in the unit description, that trolls have little need of food and water (what is rather senseless to me – giant creatures need lots of food).

Fighting the dwarves in the hills (the stupid ally didn’t stop at the river to let the enemies come to us), as well as fighting on ice. Not too much challenge, as the opponent is rather weak (lvl-1 and lvl-2 units) and my allies had (maybe too) much money. I lost a lvl-1 but didn’t replay for a better victory.

5. The ice costs mobility, so it was just walking it down with the lvl-3’s and trying to grab some kills with recruits. Not too much fun.

If the dwarves decide to stay and take on the fight, they should be better than simply getting crushed. Maybe a little ambush (dwarves hiding in the hills, bandits in a city) or some more wood on the map and the elves returning to bottle up the advancing orcs.

None.
Attachments
(52.76 KiB) Downloaded 901 times
SBak

Post by SBak »

Challenging (easiest) 1.8.5 and 1.10.5

3 - it's probably the easiest scenario in the whole campaign.

Clear enough.

Good as always so far.

Pretty much the same as your typical Undead in the swamp scenario - restricted movement, low defence and hard-hitting enemies which require combined attacks. Oh and of course your enemy having one unit with free movement, good defence which deals significant damage (Gryphons)

Inconsistent allies - Flar Tar's allies tend to complicate things impeding the passage and movement of my Trolls (novel strategy of sending Orcish Warriors to fight Dwarves on mountains from ice but I've yet to see it work) so I kept having to hold back my Goblin Pillagers (I decided that given the terrain slowing Dwarves with Pillagers would be more effective than poisoning them and losing Assassins/Slayers). However a couple of times I've had a quick, strong Troll called Gnar who tends to partner Gruu and be just as consistent. Meanwhile further south my main forces work well with Al Brock's forces and the Gryphons, Bandits and Trappers are dealt with.

5 - It's not as bad as a couple of the others such as that one in the desert but it's also not among the more enjoyable scenarios in this campaign.

My suggestion here would be for a much bigger map with places in the snow and ice which could serve as 'positions'. I'm thinking here of something like Northern Winter in HttT - only with much less favourable terrain. I know it's an easier campaign and the situation is reversed with Elves (which tend to fare somewhat better in frozen terrain given that one of their main units - the Elvish ranger - enjoys 40% defence plus they have Shamen). Here I feel the map is too small and there's not much opportunity for variations in strategy and tactical stuff.

Yes, attracted by their 30% defence I recalled Saurians only to find they're only good for playing leapfrog near the keep. Again another restart when I discovered (quite by chance) that if you're going to put Trolls on ice you might as well have a few Troll Rocklobbers out there.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, and starting gold? Nightmare, 1.11.12, 242 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 8. I hope it has been tweaked since the above reviews. Ah yes, minimum starting gold has been reduced from 300 to 200.
(3) Clear? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Pretty good.
(5) Challenges? Getting past the ice river while keeping the leader alive on the eastern front. I lost a loyal Slayer.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 8, nice but suffers from ice slogging and an anti-climatic finish.
(7) Changes? If the enemy keeps were very close to each other and the leaders were not set to passive, then the finish would be quicker and more tense/dangerous.
(8) Restarts? Lost a couple of times. Restarted from start. No save-reloads.

In the replay, you'll see that I sent a Warlord to protect the eastern ally. I thought he would be able to just camp out in the village to the east of the ally's keep, and kill anything that came to him, supported by a Whelp, Wolf Rider, and Slayer. However, upon arriving at that village, my Warlord got instantly mangled by a Thunderer and a Trapper, and soon had to run for his life. Well, limp for his life, since he was not quick. I don't think I've ever seen a more pathetic Warlord.
Attachments
(70.31 KiB) Downloaded 789 times