Scenario Review: SotBE 13 - Dwarvish Stand

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Theron

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 13 - Dwarvish Stand

Post by Theron »

Nightmare; 1.11.13

Stats:
Scenario, starting gold (default+carryover),turns/max turns,recruits-recalls-advancements-losses-kills
13 200+56 16/22 8-7-4-5-27

Comments:
Scenario 13:
My allies have carryover gold, too.
This is another incentive to finish scenario 12 as fast as possible.
The enemy leaders are sitting ducks!
If surrounded in their keep they should attack (at least the ranged units).
The Bandit didn't try to heal the poison (in the previous win).

This scenario is perfectly playable with only level 1 units.
But I suggest using some veterans to finish earlier.
Your carryover gold should be about the same (more upkeep is offset by less turns used) but your allies will have more in the next scenario which may mean the difference between life and death.
My attached restart yielded them 14 and 13 more gold than in the previous win.
Attachments
SotBE-The_Dwarvish_Stand_replay.gz
(73.57 KiB) Downloaded 1390 times
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.11.15, medium difficulty

feels like 6/10 difficulty rate, and "6" is b/c of frozen terrain. Very easy map compared to previous one, that's good. (But probably I managed to get extra starting gold b/c I cheated in the prev scenario)
sine_nomine

Post by sine_nomine »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Nightmare 1.12.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
258 starting gold

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Keeping the allied leaders alive, I guess. I sent my main squad through the east mountains while using a few other units to hold off the enemy in the west. In retrospect I should have recruited a strong unit and taken advantage of the frozen forest terrain which is advantageous against dwarves.
I used lots of assassins here, partially because I hadn't used them much so far and partially because marksman+poison is good in mountains. Trolls are good at taking hits, as always.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
dunno

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Attachments
SotBE-The_Dwarvish_Stand_replay.gz
(74.54 KiB) Downloaded 752 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Challenging

- Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- It's a good one. The dwarf mocking the elf is pretty natural, knowing how these two races don't get along well. Gruu's ending lines were amusing as ever.

- Ice and snow, risking myself to the enemy units especially

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- Less dwarf-friendly terrain

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

- No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.2, Warlord (Nightmare), 200g

Clear.

Clear.

Dealing with the dwarves that can move quite fast over te mountains in the north. And they are generally tanky.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
SotBE-The Dwarvish Stand replay.gz
(46.36 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.14.7, Warlord (Nightmare), 200 + 67 = 267 starting gold, no reloading turns.

4. One of the easiest scenarios, comparable to the first scenario and Towards the Mountains of Haag. I was able to win without using up all my gold, and with a majority of lvl1 recruits as my army.

Perfectly clear

The dialog here is good quality. It's always nice to see connections to other campaigns. I think these are the elves from the Legend of Wesmere and that campaign explains why the elves have human allies.
EDIT: Just realized that these are definitively not the elves from Legend of Wesmere. These elves are under the command of the "prince" who you meet in one of the previous scenario Clash of Armies.

Keeping loyal units alive while still utilizing them in the fight. You have to be careful about how much risk you're willing to put them in, but you also have to be willing to put them in some risk and just restart if you get unlucky. Also, wondering how the heck to use Inarix, the loyal saurian, here.

7. It's a nice change of pace to deal with snow terrain all around. Map is well designed creating two different dynamics of battle in the left flank and on the right flank.

None. It's a welcome change of pace in the middle of the campaign.

Not really, I just restarted early on and changed my recruit lineup when I found out how the movement was seriously affecting the utility of saurians.
Attachments
SotBE-The Dwarvish Stand replay.gz
(53.52 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

1.16.6 Nightmare
3. Your allies have plenty of gold, and if you come in with decent carryover from the last scenario this is no problem.
very
I like the dynamics between dwarves and elves. I also love gruu's dialogue at the end, both gruesome and silly.
figuring out how to cooperate with allies. I actually expected them to be useless, as allies usually are in Nightmare difficulty campaigns, but I had to adjust my strategy when I realized they were holding their own.
8. The enemies recruit in unusual ways, which encourages more creative strategies from the player. The right enemy spamming mostly poachers into the frozen forest terrain was something I hadn't seen before. The combo of tanky dwarves for the mountains and griffins to zip around the frozen areas was interesting on the left too. I like how the terrain and low number of villages again encourages you to recruit mostly lvl 1 units to take advantage of the Horde ability, because otherwise you'd get killed by upkeep as your high level units slowly walked across the snow.
It might be better if the enemy actually had a little more gold, or even more lvl 2 units. It's a really interesting concept of a scenario, and it's a really refreshing change to play a high difficulty campaign scenario where your allies are USEFUL, but I think they ended up being SO useful that it was kind of a cakewalk, which makes it less fun.
I restarted when I realized that my allies were being surprisingly effective and I needed to adopt a more aggressive strategy to keep up with them.
Attachments
SotBE-The Dwarvish Stand replay 20221211-120146.gz
(56.35 KiB) Downloaded 54 times