Scenario Review: SotBE 10 - Saving Inarix

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SotBE 10 - Saving Inarix

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 10 - Saving Inarix

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Warlord (Nightmare) 1.5.7

5. Not really difficult but it requires a certain skill in timing and placement. You have to wipe out the first wave of one of the sides (blue or green) before turn 8 when the reinforcements spawn. The other side should be pretty much cleaned up as well. This allows you to send the Saurians shooting up that side so that they can slip onto the bridge just as the new waves start spawning. Blew the bridge with only one enemy unit at the end of the span.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Same quality as the rest of the campaign. The bye bye [unit] by Gruu was hilarious. Morbid, but hilarious.

None.

9. One of my favorite scenarios to play. I like the map, the bridge setup, and the idea of holding the bridgehead until the Saurians can reach you. Truly inspires the sense of a fighting retreat.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Good as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
rykus

Post by rykus »

Easiest of the 3 choices

Wasn't ready for the reinforcements to be so many and sudden - had worked my split forces almost to their leaders, then was overwhelmed.

Not very
"In order to recruit saurians later on, bring Inarix and at least four saurians to the fort on River Gork"
This has several problems:
1) The way it's worded leaves me to believe that this part is bonus - if I can complete that objective, then I can recruit saurians later on. If not - no saurians for me.
2) The weak forces at the start make me believe I am to wipe them out, with the added challenge of getting the saurians
3) There are 2 forts on the river - one on each side. It doesn't specify which side.

The opening dialog helps clarify this, but I saved my game and restored a few days later, forgetting the dialog and checking the objectives.

The dialog up to this point has been a bit cheesy and didn't flow well, but here it starts improving. Gruu is an interesting character, and I like having in-game dialog.

Understanding them.

8 - once I understood it, it was great. The map is super.

More clarity in the objectives. Otherwise, it's really good.

I didn't plan well, so I got the saurians to the wrong fort without enough time to go to the other.
Another time, I tried to fight the enemies to extinction, not knowing the reinforcements would come, and that they wouldn't stop coming!

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
n/a
Maramros

Post by Maramros »

Easy,
1.4.6 (not quite sure?)

7. When I read the scenario objectives, I looked all over for inarix, couldn't find him, didn't realize that heappeared later, bridge blowing up was unexpected, I had most of my forces deployed far onto the mainland, protecting th saurians, but was taking losses.

Not very
"In order to recruit saurians later on, bring Inarix and at least four saurians to the fort on River Gork"
This has several problems:
1) The way it's worded leaves me to believe that this part is bonus - if I can complete that objective, then I can recruit saurians later on. If not - no saurians for me.
2) The weak forces at the start make me believe I am to wipe them out, with the added challenge of getting the saurians

The dialog up to this point has been a bit cheesy and didn't flow well, but here it starts improving. Gruu is an interesting character, and I like having in-game dialog.

Understanding them.

7. It's quite an interesting scenario, but I think a bit more should be explained at the beginning.

More clarity in the objectives. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

I didn't plan well, so I got only a few saurians still alive, and wasn't expecting the bridge explosion.

Note: I copied Rykus' and made a few changes, thus the similarities in wording.
Please remember, my opinion is my opinion. Please listen, but my opinion is only, and will never be more than, my opinion. It is not yours. You do not have to act on it. I'm not telling you what to do.
Egosnemesis

Post by Egosnemesis »

The easiest, "Challenging". Played on Wesnoth 1.6.1

6. I had trouble keeping enough saurians alive. I didn't realize they would get the reinforcements, but I thought it was a nice touch.

Mostly clear. I skimmed over the objectives and I thought I could bring 4 saurians over (including inarix as one of the four) instead of 5 saurians total. I just read it wrong.

Good way to introduce saurians and I liked the level design a lot.

Getting the saurians over the bridge before you were overwhelmed by reinforcements.

Perfect as is.

Inarix died once. I reloaded since I wanted to be able to use saurians for the rest of the campaign.

N/A
Arnaudus

Post by Arnaudus »

Challenging (the easiest one), 1.7.1

7, some careful planning is really necessary.

Not flawless. Saurians? Which saurians? There are no saurians at the beginning of the scenario. The bridge this was rather clear, though.

Really useful, since the scenario is a bit complicated. The reinforcement are pretty unexpected, perhaps this should be made clearer in the dialogs (that reinforcements are on their way)? Otherwise, it's a scenario which must be played twice.

I think Inarix should say somthing when enough saurians are in the right side of the river, like "OK, we're safe, let's destroy the bridge". Otherwise, one has to count how many saurians are safe, wonder whether it is 4 + Inarix or including Inarix, and consider if the bridge is safe or not...

Timing. The first time, I was not expecting reinforcements, and I took it easy. My saurians ended up being totally isolated, and for an unclear reason, I though it was a good idea to try getting to the central castle with my leader (bad idea). The second attempt was smoother, although I lost quite a few valuable units protecting the retreat of the saurians.

8. Original, challenging.

Find something a bit more original for reinforcements? Like a powerful army arriving from the south? Giving more gold to the leaders looked a bit like an easy way.

See above, poor tactics and not ready for dealing with reinforcements.

--
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

medium, 1.6

not completely.
a) I was looking for the saurians in the beginning and when I didn't see them, I wondered, if there was a bug. Maybe make Plonk say something like "We got message that they are on their way and will come in sight from the south this evening"
b) It wasn't really clear to me that only the southern half of the bridge would be blown up.
c) It wasn't completely clear which castle to reach with the saurians. Writing the name on the map would make that more obvious.

nice. The words announcing reinforcement of the enemies were clear to me. Anyway I would have expected Inarix to speak when enough saurians are saved.

Finding out, where Inarix was gonna arrive and being fast enough to send some wolves to his help.
In general, time was the main problem.

As said before, make things a bit clearer.
Maybe let Inarix arrive one turn earlyer and let the humans arrive as reinforcement

Too many saurians being killed by elvish scouts and bandits.

N/A
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.3, Warrior (Difficult), i.e. (what I consider) Normal difficulty

7 if you want to save the Saurians, otherwise 2

Confusing. Where, exactly, is this “Inarix” I’m supposed to save? From the dialog it sounded like he’s already there. But in reality he arrives on turn 4.

The dialog was nice, but gave me the impression that Inarix is already there when in fact he had not arrived yet.

Getting rid of all those level 1s the enemies sent my way without any losses. Made more difficult by the fact I was trying to level up some Troll Whelps at the same time.

7 – it’s certainly a different type of challenge

Make it clear that Inarix is not there yet and give a hint about the extra gold the enemies receive.

No, though some bad luck almost got Inarix killed.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Difficult, 1.8.5

7 - It took me three tries. My first, I came up one Saurian short (and wasn't really paying attention to the objectives). My second, I got caught up on the bridge due to unlucky rolls. My third went perfect--I lost only one Saurian, no major units, and even got a Saurian healer close to lvl 2.

Clear--I didn't read close enough the first time to catch the "keep four alive" thing.

Fine.

Getting across the bridge, preventing elves/bandits from ganging up on units.

I finished in round 13/16 with -12 gold and will bring 40 gold into the next scenario.

8 - Another good one. I wasn't impressed with this campaign's first few scenarios, but the last few have been good.

Probably good as is.

See above.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Nightmare; 1.9.2; 319 starting gold

Complicated, but clear, except for Inarix being MIA at start. I second what everyone said above.

Good. I second the suggestion to have Inarix count off as each Saurian crosses to safety.

It was a challenge to grasp the big picture of what units need to go where and when. Leveling an Augar as suggested in the walkthrough was tough, especially when you forget for the first few turns. I got an Augar to 1 point away from level 2, which I assume is even better.

Make the enemy recruit no Shamans the first turn. They need to come behind the first wave, not in front.

No.
Attachments
SotBE-Saving_Inarix_replay.gz
(57.47 KiB) Downloaded 908 times
Faello

Post by Faello »

Nightmare (Warlord), 1.8.5, no saves/reloads, 314 starting gold

Not that difficult but it requires a knowledge about AI behaviour pattern, the way it prefers going for a kills or max attack power vs single unit over the big picture strategy - player can easily lose some worthy units due to the RNG humour if he won't be careful enough, espescially vs. the Darstang's (green, steelclad king) bandits which are dangerous in the night and can bring near 90 dmg output per hex from 2 hexes, so lines have to be built carefully, often with sacrifice of some weaker units. Defending saurian force is again a matter of player's skill - there's no need to engage in combat in the south, it's all about managing the AI behaviour, it's attack directions and quick but precise withdrawal.

9 losses, 35 kills in this one, scenario objectives completed 4 turns before the turn limit.

Quite clear, player doesn't know where & when Inarix force will come into the battlefield but it's not a necessary knowledge considering the scenario design.

I like the dialogs about tactical decisions player has to make. It was good.

Keeping my defensive lines intact without a serious losses vs. bandits.

I give it 9.

It's very good defensive lines-building + rescue scenario with interesting objectives, nice map with explosion for the "grand final".

I don't think it requires any changes. It's excellent.

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
Saving Inarix, Nightmare (Warlord) difficulty level, 1.8.5, no saves/reloads
(49.16 KiB) Downloaded 984 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Warrior, 1.8.5.
(2) Well, 1 to just finish the level without the Saurians obviously. To get Inarix & team saved: 8 (I lost several L2 units including a loyal unit, had a couple of reloads during the first attempt and then replayed to save more saurians).
(3) I didn't pay attention to the objectives box and didn't realise until the end that I had to save 5 saurians — I had aimed to just save as many as I could. That's probably just me being careless though.
(4) Like some other commenters here, I spent a minute searching the map at the start trying to find Inarix, before concluding that he must arrive later. Otherwise the dialogue is good apart from the money surge (see 7).
(5) I'm not used to playing saurians, and didn't immediately figure out the swamp+sand as the right route for them. There's little opportunity to level units up here, since you can't hand out XP during the withdrawal phase. Losing L2 units to the super-aggressive L2 thugs; protecting the weak saurian augurs.

Also I got unlucky on the first attempt and the dwarf/bandit leader luckily killed two units at the back of the keep south of the bridge and got a foothold inside it. I got more unlucky when all my units missed attacking them. So I was stuck for a couple of turns unable to recruit or move units in/out of there; fortunately I had recruited plenty at the northern keep and managed to survive that problem.

(6) 7 — it's always good to have a different type of scenario than the usual pitched battle; a scenario with both an initial attack, a fighting retreat and a flight across enemy territory is an excellent design.
(7) The sudden surge of money for the attackers seems artificial. It seems almost like they are being petulant right now — throwing one lot of troops at you while holding lots in reserve and then getting impatient randomely and throwing in everything else. It doesn't make sense for them to continue being so aggressive with the first wave of troops if they have a lot in reserve that they could supplement them with. The dialogue and arrival of the second wave needs to be redone so that reinforcements-on-the-way are mentioned up front and then troops arrive during the battle.
(8 ) I lost Gruu on one occasion, Inarix on another (during the 1st attempt; none in the second attempt).
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Played on Grunt (Challenging), 1.10.2 from SVN.

For me, 4. I guess it really depends on how much units come to attack the saurians at the bottom of the map.

Very clear, no problems with that.

In my opinion, I enjoy SoTBE's dialogue the most out of any campaign. The dialogue between Kapou'e and the new loyal orcish assassin is quite interesting too. Just one thing, as another user said, it's odd how the two enemy leaders call in their reserves just because "it's taking too long". Perhaps you could they say that they had reinforcements arriving?

Feeding Inarix a few convenient, not out of the way, and very probable kills, without accidentally getting him killed.

I'd give it a 7. It's nice to have an objective that isn't "Kill the enemy leaders" or "Escape from the map". This is more like a mix of both, in the fact that you have to control of a strong force in the north, and a weaker one to protect coming in from the south.

As I said earlier, I'd prefer that the enemy leaders had reinforcements come in, rather than just getting a gold boost. Maybe you could actually hand place some more units on the map too, when the enemies get more gold.

I wanted to finish the scenario quickly, and I forgot that you need four more surviving saurians. I blew the bridge up, and then realized the mistake I made by reading Kapoue's monologue. Reloaded from that point, spent an extra turn getting those few saurians out of the way, and then detonated it.

It seems pretty self-explanatory. No need for additional commenting.
line

Post by line »

Warlord (Nightmare) 1.10.3
290 starting gold (enemies: 300/300)
Finished turn 12/16

5. It’s definitely not that hard. But a major reason is again the stupid gameplay of the AI (especially with the elves). First the bridge defenders (elves and dwarves) are way too aggressive, giving up their good positions. Later on the elves again prefer to use melee attacks against the lvl-3 trolls instead of their ranged attacks, following the maximum damage doctrine.

Holding the east side of the beachhead south of the bridge against the elves is easy, as they only attack with lvl-1 and the castle offers good defence. Vs. the dwarf (recruiting outlaws???) the bandits pose a threat. Prevent them from massing up on your line, therefore kill them soon and keep an eye on the possible moves of the incoming bandits and stay out of reach if possible. Again slowing helps a lot.

Concerning the saurians it’s all about timing. In the beginning you want to hide in the swamp to deal with enemies (the dwarf sent a bandit to the saurians). But you shall not miss the right time to move north, to reach and pass the beachhead after finishing off the first wave of elves and dwarves but before the second one arrives. (Flagging villages helps to distract the AI.) I replayed to use a better timing and keeping out of trouble.

Clear. Get the saurians to safety (which is north of the bridge).

I think in later scenarios it doesn’t mean to lose if Inarix gets killed. That doesn’t fit to the necessity of rescuing him now…

Dealing with the bandits and giving kills to the low-lvl units.

9. The rescue and retreat mission gives some variety to the usually kill-all-enemy-leaders.

None.

None.
Attachments
(43.68 KiB) Downloaded 871 times
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

1.10.6 - Warlord - (Nightmare) - No save/load - 317 starting gold

Marginal. I was not sure if the entire bridge would be destroyed or not. It says the southern bridge will be blown up, but I wasn't comfortable with keeping any units on the bridge, until I did some experimentation to figure out that only a section would be blown up.

I liked it.

The initial waves of level two thugs. At a favorable time of day they can easily beat down even your beefiest units. However this is easily dealt with by chain recruiting troll whelps to fight the thugs and using your veterans against the elves.

The evacuation of the beachhead. I didn't handle this with maximum efficiency, so I lost a turn. Don't garrison all the fort tiles right next to the bridge or you might get ZOC'd. I was distracted and didn't notice this.

8.5 - I agree with most of the people who rated this a 9, it is an interesting and unconventional scenario to be sure. It is also very nice to get to use some Saurians and two new loyal units. I subtracted a half point because I had to do some experimentation to figure out how exactly the objective worked.

Give the two new loyal units a second trait.

It is probably difficult to code, but it would be nice if the tiles that are going to be blown up would be highlighted somehow.

I agree with the criticisms with regard to the method of handling the reinforcements. Giving the enemies some more gold is a bit boring and gamey. It would be better if units started to spawn at the map edges to indicate that the other armies are starting to arrive. Inarix was supposedly being chased, maybe those forces could show up. You could also give the on map leaders some more income so that they could maintain a trickle of recruits.

Never reloaded, a few restarts when I foolishly tried to confront the level two thugs on open ground with my veterans.
Attachments
1.10.6 - Nightmare - no save load
(53.87 KiB) Downloaded 945 times