Scenario Review: SotBE 6 - Black Flag

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SotBE 6 - Black Flag

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 6 - Black Flag

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Warlord (Nightmare) 1.5.7

8. While the level 1s recruited by both leaders are not too hard to deal with, the reinforcements that pop in sometimes swung the battle heavily into the loyalists favor. Often when the ships landed units between my two forces, I never knew who they were going to go after.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
As good as the rest of the campaign, though the shaman whining/getting so dramatic over crossing the Desert of Death and all that was a bit much.

Changing my strategy rapidly in order to deal with the reinforcements.

8. It was different, and required a balancing act of how many troops to send each way versus how long I thought my units could hold out until I could finish off Purple to send them help.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Reinforcements popped in and got all their hits on Kapou'e or Gruu.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
silent

Post by silent »

Before I give my review, much thanks to the rebalancing of the Son of the black eye campaign, particularly to the harbour of tirigaz and this scenario. Before, the base income was ridiculous but with it abolished it is much better

Warrior (challenging I think) 1.6
7. The ally deals with purple fairly well so less units are required. The troop spam is a great leveling opportunity too. The only difficulty I found was being swamped by the north-west leader during the morning, but by then orcish warlords deterred his enthusiasm a bit
Clear
Fairly interesting, but the allied orc seem to grovel a bit, where's the defiance in the face of death? these are orcs not humans
Careful placement of veterans to avoid loss
8. The troop spam is fairly effective and offers great leveling opportunities if met when they are stuck on water/sand.
Perhaps one more boat load. With the stupid base income lowered, a few more troops would make it interesting, or the blue boat empties a small force of troops as your forces advance on the north-west leader
Not that I can think of.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
Egosnemesis

Post by Egosnemesis »

The easiest, "Challenging". 1.6

6. I lost some significant veterans on this level. You fight a lot of level 2 units and the boats affect the battle significantly. I didn't think about if the boats could attack, and lost a couple units that were on the beach for a turn.

Clear

Good dialogue.

Dealing with enemy boatloads of units while trying to keep your income positive.

8. Really fun scenario.

Maybe make an orc leader with the units instead of a handful of weak units. This way he can recruit a little and actually help out. Make him grateful, but not so effusive. I like the idea of having a weak ally that you might be able to save as opposed to a little bit of cannon fodder that doesn't do much.

Got my leader killed once when I went a little too rambo.

N/A
Arnaudus

Post by Arnaudus »

Challenging (the easiest one), 1.7.1

6, nice challenge

Quite OK. Difficult to understand exactly what to do at the first turn, yet. When the leaders have not recruited yet, the West castle seems reachable with Kapoue and the troll. Obviously, it appears very quickly that this is impossible.

OK as well. The few incompetent orcs remaining don't have a lot of things to say. Getting rid of the shamans with "hide in the forst" looked a bit easy as well. Saving the shamans is a burden that spans over the first part of the campaign, but here, they just magically disappear. Why not letting them there, as in all other scenarios? I'm sure that if they actually hide in the forest, they would not be annoyed by the humans too much. Perhaps it would be better to program the AI not to go in the forest anyway...

Another thing that is very unclear is the fighting capacity of ships. It's not obvious at all whether or not one should pay attention to the ships.

Dealing with the recruited troops was not that difficult, but the gyus arriving by see can really screw up battle plans, skirmish and kill important units. However, the bad point is that the place at which ships arrive seems to be random, which makes the difficulty of the scenario really uneven. I played it twice, the first time all ships landed around my castle, and my injured leader was killed. The second time, ships scattered along the coast, and it was pretty easy to kill these independent waves.

6, it's interesting to have to find a keep at the beginning.

Do something with the allied AI. The few useless units just rush by day light and get slaughtered. Why not controlling these, or forcing them to defend a tower or a village not being able to move?

See above, unpredictable ship arrival makes things a bit complicated.

--
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

medium, 1.6

played it three times, with difficulty varying from 6 to 8

crystal. kill both human leaders.

I find the dialogues nicely 'orkish'. It really isn't logical, that my shamans suddenly disappear, but the need to protect them would inrease the difficulty about two points.
It also isn't logical, that the local orc leader sent his weak people (shamans + women) through a dangerous and horrifying desert.

Generally, the boats popping up anywhere and unloading kinda strong units, which made it nearly impossible to shield wounded units, as the enemy was everywhere. In my third attempt, I managed to destroy two boats before unloading, which made things a lot easier. 8)
In my second attempt, both humans recruited mainly archers and magicians, killing my ally without letting him hit anyone, and were at my base just one turn after my leader.

a stronger and/or cleverer fighting ally

great losses, death of Grüü

N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Warrior, 1.8.1.
(2) 6
(3) Clear.
(4) Good.
(5) Fighting during daylight against the troops landing from the ships - since they were landing units during daylight near my keep, I decided to fight them on the spot rather than withdraw during daylight.

The ships turning into fighting enemies caught me out.

High variance of troll's attacks.

(6) 8 - very interesting battle with enemies landing in water, so there's an advantage to keeping them in the water or on the beaches.
(7) -
(8) I got unlucky against a mage on one occasion and lost Grüü to the enemy's next turn.
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? 1.8, nightmare (or whatever the hardest is called)
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 12...I can't beat it in time. I replayed the previous one just to build up Level 3 units...2 slurbows, 2 huge trolls, a lvl 3 warlord, and a few level 2s as well (2 crossbows, one troll, one rocklobber, and Kapoue). I can beat off the numerous level 2s, but can't get to the guy in the north in time. My allies were few and useless.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? 10
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? whatever
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? time
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 0
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? 4 more turns, or allies who stay in place rather than suiciding themselves right next to the opponents castles.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? I tried this one a bunch. I can't do it.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.3, Warrior (Difficult), i.e. (what I consider) Normal difficulty

4 to 6 – at first it’s 6 because of the large number of enemies, then things got easier for a bit… and then that last boat unloaded a bunch of level 2s, complicating things. But overall not too hard.

Clear

Fine

Dealing with the reinforcments that arrive by sea. The last two headed north - giving me no chance to destroy them while still at sea - and unloaded units near the last wave off enemies.

Make the ally a bit more useful. Right now the only thing he’s good for is giving the enemies some free experience. Or just give us control of the allied units.

No
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Difficult, 1.8.5

7 - Took me three tries to get through (one after 4 turns, one after 8 turns--both attempts I lost my troll hero).

Clear. And the boat landings were a nice touch.

Um... the troll's dialogue could improve.

Keeping the hero troll alive on the north front.

I lost a few lvl 2's fighting on the Southern and Western front, but I lvl'd a few characters to lvl 3 as well.

I finished in round 13/28 with -75 gold and will bring 66 gold into the next scenario.

9 - By far the best in the campaign so far; it is well-balanced and requires strategy, but isn't impossible.

I completely agree w/ shadowblack's suggestion to give the player control of allied units. They die so fast, they're not even helpful as meatshields.

See above.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Nightmare; 1.9.2; 262 starting gold

Clear.

Okay.

You get overwhelmed if you don't take out any of the boats before they unload.

9. It can be pure chaos, which is fun. I like the novelty of the ships unloading troops.

None.

Lost several times.

The only comment is about code that needs to be added. Should comment on ships.
Attachments
SotBE-Black_Flag_replay.gz
(46.19 KiB) Downloaded 911 times
Faello

Post by Faello »

Nightmare (Warlord), 1.8.5, no saves/reloads, 211 starting gold

I give it 7.

It's a difficult scenario that demands certain approach - it's better to move all the forces south vs General Harman (purple loyalists) and not leave Gruu behind, but take him with you since General Slowhand & Harman usually recruit only mages, bowmen and swordsmen, which is a very good mix vs Great Troll (Gruu) even if he's prepared to prolonged combat (near-lvl up)

Loyalist Navy shows in this scenario how efficient it can be with it's "marine" troops (mages, fencers, bowmen, swordsmen)

It's important to not recall too much of 2nd and 3rd lvl units, since mass grunt with some mix of assasins and (in my case) 2x dire wolves does all the necessary job required and it's important to have some artillery meat around.

It's also a good idea to sink the galleons before they will drop some units on the shore :mrgreen:

Anyway, 10 losses (all grunts), 33 kills in this one

Crystal clear.

It's quite interesting.

It was quite difficult to find a way to hold initiative in this scenario and keep your units safe.

I give it 9. It's a nice scenario with nice map and interesting tactical decisions to make. There's a lot of fun when Gruu or Kapou'e is able to sink a galeon with loyalists still on it :mrgreen: All in all, very good scenario.

I'd not change a thing. It's great as it is.

Mostly wrong approach to this scenario from the tactical point of view. I had to restart it few times to find the correct approach to win it.

Replay attached.
Attachments
1.8.5. Nightmare (Warlord) difficulty level
(35.03 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Cel

Post by Cel »

1.) 1.8.6, challenging

2.) 8

3.) The objectives were clear, but I wasn't sure what will happen, when the ships arrive, and where they will arrive...

4.) the story is clear and the dialogues are funny, but the end was strange. My leader said " We are victorious at last" but the whole town was full of enemies and only the two leaders were dead...

5.) To reach the southern leader

6.) 5

7.) Maybe some changes in the dialogues

8.) I reloaded one time because Jetto died.
sorry for my English...
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Challenging 1.10.2
Difficulty: 6
Objectives: 100% clear
Dialogue: Good.
Challenges: My ally was a bit on the [censored] side. He put his units in blatant lines of fire, getting his grunts killed by archers and his archers killed by swordsman in 1 turn, so they didn't even work as a slow-down. The ships could only be attacked from 1 or 2 points before they unloaded, which wasn't enough firepower to take them out, so each one was able to unload. Every wave i recruited 3 new units and 1 vet, so i'd have enough cannon fodder to keep my vets alive.
Fun: 8
Changes: none
Reloads/Restarts: none
Fate is against me.
line

Post by line »

Warlord (Nightmare) 1.10.3
256 starting gold (enemies: 150/150)
Finished turn 17/24

8. It looks quite easy in the beginning, but the human reinforcements by boat with a chance of disembarkment behind your lines are a serious threat. The biggest problem is the small number of villages and the little income. Even though one has a strong roster the limited gold doesn’t allow too much recruiting. Therefore I decided to go with few (only recalls) but strong units. Again I relied on the goblin pillagers which served in two ways in this scenario: first their mobility is needed to maybe catch up a boat before disembarking – at least to hold tough disembarked units in the water (20% defense) or beach (30% defense) and second to slow the strongest enemies, especially when the northern lvl-2s mass up on your keep.

Defeat humans. Clear. What I don’t understand: Why is my ally provided with 100 gold but does not recruit?

Clear.

The limited gold. Also I didn’t manage to destroy a boat in water. Setting up a defense against the humans incoming from the north without losing a good unit.

None. It seems to me, that this scenario is designed to make sure, you won’t have a carry-over of gold to the next scenario.

I replayed due to losing a veteran.
Attachments
(38.65 KiB) Downloaded 852 times