Scenario Review: SotBE 6 - Black Flag

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sine_nomine

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 6 - Black Flag

Post by sine_nomine »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Nightmare 1.12.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
229 starting gold

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear. Though I don't think Gruu holding off the enemy is a viable tactic and I don't think the shamans would really be a hindrance.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The boats. You need to kill things quickly or you'll get swarmed during the day. Also, I think I overrecruited or maybe I should have let a couple of my units die after the initial clash so I wouldn't have to pay upkeep and would have had more carryover gold.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Seems fine, plus I can't suggest anything without knowing how the boats work.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Attachments
SotBE-Black_Flag_replay.gz
(47.88 KiB) Downloaded 716 times
BillytheBabyGoat

Post by BillytheBabyGoat »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
1. Nightmare.

2. 7.

3. Crystal.

4. Interesting enough.

5. Dealing with reinforcements was little bit of a challenge, had to restart a few times when my assassins/slayers got one shotted by a lucky javelineer or swordsman.

6. 7, reinforcements from the sea is a nice little touch that adds some variety.

7. None really, except that not being able to save the AI is a little annoying (Usually I like to keep AI's alive just for kicks).

8. Restarted a few times when slayers got one-shotted, especially the loyal one.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Nightmare, 1.12.6, 280 starting gold

Clear

At the beginning the dialog seems to be implying a specific strategy. Well, I think it's better if we make the tactical decision less specific since what will ultimately happen after all is the player choice.

If taking on this scenario the proper way by taking the central keep, as suggested by the dialog, then the major challenge is having to deal with enemies from all angles.

I don't have any suggestions

I initially took on this scenario the proper way - taking too much risk caused me to have to restart. When I won this initially I wasn't thinking too much about optimization.
When I reached the Silent Forest and got beaten up, I went back to this scenario to optimize it. And boy did I optimize it, in fact I used a rather dishonorable "cheese" strategy:
My personal rules when playing are not to abuse load-save, but there's nothing in my rule that says I can't abuse scenario restarts! I wasn't forced to restart - instead I decided to abuse scenario restart on purpose in order to achieve the result of taking over the North keep immediately. It is indeed possible and it didn't take me long with the accelerated speed set to 16 :D to achieve a start where I successfully take the North. Seeing from the other posts here I'm not the only one to find "cheese" strategies for this scenario with others doing things like killing the boats before they can drop their payload(which I would like to point out also seems to be discouraged by the dialog with the line "we can't defeat them by sea without ships")
SotBE-Black_Flag_replay.gz
(46.01 KiB) Downloaded 675 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Challenging

- Clear

- Seems good, as now that the war against humans is on full scale. Now that I see the game leads to the desert, how's that going to look like? Never played in desert before

- Fighting the humans during day

- No, it's all fine

- No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.1, Warlord (Nightmare), 243g

6, finally I have the gold to spend and useful veterans.

Clear.

Clear.

Dealing with human reinforcements coupled with the southern attack.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
SotBE-Black Flag replay.gz
(33.34 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

1.16.6 Nightmare
very
Nice. I like "don't grovel like a human", and the reference to orc 'women and children', which are basically never mentioned in any other campaigns. I wonder if orcs would have different words for 'women and children', though? I don't hear the male ones referring to themselves as 'men'. And, come to think of it, I don't think any of the orc writing really mentions their gender dynamics. Maybe half of the grunts are female, and humans just can't tell the difference?
the ships and skirmishers. I lost some high level units that I didn't protect well enough. Javelineers were also a huge pain in the butt.
7. all the ships, and the 2 enemy keeps, kept up steady and dynamic pressure throughout the scenario, rather than one big predictable clash and then mop up like in a lot of scenarios.
I like it as is.
I restarted once because I REALLY underestimated the skirmishers and I lost 2 slurbows.
Attachments
SotBE-Black Flag replay 20221203-205729.gz
(38.66 KiB) Downloaded 58 times