Scenario Review: SotBE 5 - To the Harbour of Tirigaz

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SotBE 5 - To the Harbour of Tirigaz

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 5 - To the Harbour of Tirigaz

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Warlord (Nightmare) 1.5.7

5. Not really that hard, just a matter of paying attention to splitting your forces evenly so that each half has trolls for impact and Slurbows for the ghosts. Warlords went north to deal with the adepts.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Eh not too bad, party was resting in their travels and waylaid by undead. Seems a bit of a stretch (I know they plague the land, but still), but all in all it's a nice change of pace.

None.

5. I did not really see the point of the undead, but I was okay with it until having my units flounder through the swamp to get at undead who were moving just as slowly.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Perhaps have some of the undead "rise" up around the campsite.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Egosnemesis

Post by Egosnemesis »

The easiest, "Challenging". 1.6

5. The difficulty got bumped up here. I was troll heavy and didn't have any archers, so the ghosts posed a larger problem than I thought they would (although the skeletons were easy). It's hard to take down a lich and I lost a couple solid units doing so.

Clear

Good. I was all excited about the holy water and I thought it was a nice touch. :wink:

Splitting your forces properly, archers for ghosts, trolls for skeletons.

Maybe flesh out more information about the undead and why you're there. I think I would have enjoyed fighting a lich and a death knight instead for variety instead of just 2 liches.

No. Lost a couple good units but that happens.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
Arnaudus

Post by Arnaudus »

Challenging (the easiest one), 1.7.1

7, once again, leader problem...

No problem. Kill everyone.

I find a bit hard to believe that the existence of undeads does not seem to be a problem for anyone :-) And well, "oh, look, on the floor, holy water!" :-)

Killing the liches. It is extremely dangerous to slow them, they are better than most units at range combat, and good at melee as well, with the drain ability. This makes the use of lvl1 units impossible, and even lvl2 units are in danger. In contrast, getting rid of the undead army was piece of cake, provided choosing the proper units to attack the proper undead. The scenario offers no challenge, but again puts you into a difficult situation when attacking the leaders with split forces: why are those liches so good at melee? This is far too RPG for my taste.

I also found a bit strange to be given a loyal assassin just before, who is totally useless in this scenario. Mine was behind the lines but was targetted by skelettons and died. 3 shamans + a kind of weak leader + the assassin, too many weak units to protect for my taste.

5. Scenarios in which you are assaulted by a very large force, and then have to walk quietly to kill the leaders are always a bit boring.

Larger undead armies and weaker leaders would be better IMO. The "all night" thing makes the rythme of the battle strange.

No, but I've probably lost too many lvl 2 units (including trolls) against the lishes, and I should have redone it.

--
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

Easy
2 - the undead fell like suckers to fire arrows and troll clubs.
Clear
Very interesting. Although after reading some of the comments, the sudden change to undead WAS a little abrupt.
None, really.
6 - crushing undead is a lot of fun. I never liked playing Northerners, since against normal units they don't do very well (at least for me). However, after this scenario I realized just how powerful the Northerners are against undead. Level 2 trolls and orcish archers can take out an undead unit every turn with little HP loss. Even the liches, who usually give my units hell, died in 1 or 2 turns each with a troll hammering at them. I only lost 2 troll whelps the whole scenario, and both were because the northern lich decided to attach them instead of the weakened archer I gave him for bait.
Make one an Ancient Lich? He'd be harder to kill that way. Regular liches, for all their terror, die quickly if you hit them with the right attacks.
No.
It's fine.
I am of two minds; I shall be complete when I can bring them into harmony.
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

medium, 1.6

4-5

crystal. kill the liches.

well, it really was a bit out of nowwhere that the undead attack, but the dialog is realistic.

lost some units, but, well...

6-7, liked that part about the holy water. (Could have holy attacks anyway. Or maybe holy wolf fangs :-)

don't know any.

Those bats were too fast and sometimes had more points than before when attacked by troll welps. So they rushed and killed one of my shamans.

N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Warrior, 1.8.1.
(2) 7 - multiple restarts.
(3) Clear.
(4) Good. Holy water indeed :-)
(5) The liches themselves. My only L3 unit was Grüü, and even he can't go 1 round aside with an ancient lich safely. Sometimes the AI will come out for bait... and sometimes it won't. I had to rethink my strategy and throw a lot of L2 units at the northern lich all at once. Having all my decent units tied up in the north made the otherwise easy fight in the center quite tough, and it was hard to keep my units alive here while my better units trekked back.
(6) 6 - levels where you have strategic choices and have to balance attack and defense are always interesting.
(7) Hmm. Not sure TBH, as I like the strategic part. Perhaps I played it wrong and should have ignored the (rather easy) battle with the minions and instead just recalled a small pack of high-levels, to be better set up to fight the liches. So I'm reluctant comment.

Having a normal day/night cycle gives much more flexibility for attacking enemy leaders. I'm not saying the level would be better that way but it would be worth trying.

(8) Another level making me feel like a total noob - losing Kapou'e, Grüü (both to liches) and I think I had another restart for one of the ever fragile shamen (this time for undead recruiting bats to circle in on the vulnerable).
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.3, Warrior (Difficult), i.e. (what I consider) Normal difficulty

3, and only because of the Liches, otherwise it would be 1 or 2

Clear

Fine. Loved the Holy Water part.

Killing the Liches. Fortunately I got lucky with my attacks

6 – a nice change of pace, but not much of a challenge (not counting the leaders)

As someone mentioned: explain why the undead are there.

No.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Difficult, 1.8.5

5 - Complete piece of cake after the last scenario. I also started with 300+ gold. I did lose a lvl 2 archer and a lvl 2 troll, but I leveled several more.

Clear.

Fine.

I moved my army north, leaving my hero and a bunch of lvl 1 trolls and archers in the start castle. I sent a lvl 3 wolf rider south to grab villages.

My army consisted of 2 lvl 2 trolls and 3 lvl 2 archers, with a few warriors and a lvl 3 rider.

I finished in round 15/30 with 124 gold and will bring 199 into the next scenario.

7 - A well-deserved break, I would say, given the difficulty of the previous scenario.

Good as is.

Only once when I lost a lvl 2 troll due to poor strategy.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Nightmare; 1.9.2; 173 starting gold

7. I can't call it a 6, since I lost once and could have lost a second time if another hit landed on my one of my heroes.

Clear.

Okay. I'd prefer if some dialog stated that the Necromancers must be prolonging the night via powerful magic.

Surviving the initial wave was difficult and caused me to lose once. On my winning attempt, I lost two Archers and a Troll Welp on the front line close to the start, and then nothing after that. The Liches are of course nasty and dangerous, especially during this long lasting night. It didn't help that my forces were split in two. Poor Grüü nearly got taken down by a swarm of Revenants and then both Grüü and Kapou'e got critically injured by the Lich, so I had to retreat and wait for reinforcements from the far side of the board.

I am uncomfortable with scenarios that mess with the time scale or distance scale. See #4 for suggested dialog.

I lost once, due to my front line breaking and a Shaman getting killed.

There are no comments. Should comment about the slowed time scale.
Attachments
SotBE-To_the_Harbor_of_Tiri..._replay.gz
(39.76 KiB) Downloaded 885 times
Faello

Post by Faello »

Nightmare (Warlord), 1.8.5, no saves/reloads, 241 starting gold.

Lost 8 units, destroyed 29 in this one.

Crystal clear.

It's ok, nothing special tho. I played it once before, some time ago so I remember that there's a nice punch line when one of your units drinks holy water from the flask in the eastern part of the map,
Spoiler:

Thinking how to stop the green Lich's units until blue Lich's army will be destroyed and reinforcements will arrive to clean what was left out of UD army.

I'd give it 6,

battle in the swamp isn't as hard as it is annoying and battle vs. blue UD army is (not counting in the couple of lvl1 bats) quite boring - player needs to think how to lure the Lich commanders out on the low ground, which isn't hard, but some misses might be annoying considering their melee drain ability - Gruu 20-3 attack and Kapou'e leadership were invaluable help in dealing with them.

Hard to say, perhaps a little bit more varied terrain?

No problems with this scenario. Replay attached.
Attachments
SotBE-To_the_Harbour_of_Tir..._replay.gz
1.8.5., Nightmare, no saves/reloads
(31.66 KiB) Downloaded 845 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Cel

Post by Cel »

1.) 1.8.6, challenging

2.) 4

3.) very clear

4.) There could have been some dialogue that explains, why it's night all the time. But I loved the idea of the holy water ;)

5.) nothing

6.) 6

7.) nothing

8.) no
sorry for my English...
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Challenging 1.10.2
Difficulty: 4
Objectives: 100% clear
Dialogue/Storyline: Holy water was pretty frusterating. I recalled my strongest warrior just to take it, and when it didn't give him arcane, he just sat there because there was nothing he could attack effectively.
Challenges: When i first started, i forgot that i was versing undead, so i got a mixed bunch of units, including some assassins, then saw the enemies and was like "oops." I went back a turn and spammed only trolls and archers instead. Trolls for the impact vs skeles and bats, and archers for the fire dmg vs ghosts, and ranged attacks so as not to proc the ghost and bat drain effects. For some reason this time, the bottom lich got exclusively skeles, and the top one got mostly bats and like 1 adept. Both armies i crushed with my skillfully-chosen forces.
Fun: 8
Changes: none
Reloads/Restarts: none, aside from the smarter recruiting i already mentioned.
Fate is against me.
line

Post by line »

Warlord (Nightmare) 1.10.3
317 starting gold (enemies: 180/190)
Finished turn 12/24

6. You were happy with your fearless levelled trolls from the scenario before? Well, nice job it’s staying night the whole time…
The swamp in the south is good for upgrading your trolls. Also the lich, who will step into the swamp, can be easily killed there.
The northern way is harder. I found the mixture of revenants and adepts especially dangerous for trolls. That’s why I made use of the goblin pillagers again to slow the revenants (if the lich recruits too many of them). Of course, you better don’t use them to slow down the lichs. The northern lich needs to be lured out of the castle. Then hammer him down with melee attacks in one round.

Kill the lichs. Clear.

I still like Grüü (life can be so simple if you just were a troll). Holy water is funny. Knowing the plot I didn’t go for it.

Holding off the troops from the north and killing the northern lich. I didn’t recall my lvl-3 units and missed to send the second goblin pillager (who was engaged in the south) up north early enough, so it got harder than necessary.

8. Killing skeletons with trolls is definitely fun.

None.

None.
Attachments
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 784 times
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

1.10.6 - Warlord - (Nightmare) - No save/load - 316 starting gold

Clear.

No complaints.

- Figuring out that I needed to take the enemy forces seriously and wait for them to come to me on favorable terrain instead of trying to rush for a quicker kill on the enemy leaders. Once the first wave is destroyed you can advance rapidly for a relatively early win. Rushing before the first waves are defeated led me to take casualties and restart.

- Dealing with the northern lich. On one attempt I treated this as a training scenario and brought exclusively level one units to the North, since the resistance is so weak there. Imagine my chagrin when I realized that unlucky level one and two trolls and level one archers are really bad against liches. That was a restart. The southern lich will make things easy by going into the swamp but the Northern lich sometimes seems to resist luring onto really bad terrain, so I brought along a high level unit to help finish him off.

6.5 - It's not that exciting if you wait for the waves to come to you.

It's fine as long as it is intended as a filler/recovery scenario.

Never reloaded, several restarts when I tried to rush, one restart when I didn't bring anyone buff enough to kill the northern lich on castle terrain.
Attachments
1.10.6 - Nightmare - no save load - finished 12 turns early
(32.18 KiB) Downloaded 880 times