Scenario Review: SotBE 3 - Towards Mountains of Haag

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SotBE 3 - Towards Mountains of Haag

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 3 - Towards Mountains of Haag

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Warlord (Nightmare) 1.5.7

7. The dwarves were level 1 to my level 2s, but they had numbers on their side and the lack of villages for the player to hold close to the enemy keep without coming into range of the dwarf lord killing machine meant I had to be careful about my units' HP.

Not so clear actually. The way they are currently worded (and the dialogue), I was under the impression I could get to the signpost OR kill the leader to end the scenario. Not that the first one is a necessity and killing the dwarf is only bonus gold. (Written as early finish bonus, which led me to believe if I killed the dwarf leader, it would end the scenario).

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Again as noted before, very well-written. This campaign is always a pleasure to play.

Keeping my orcs with just enough HP to stomp some stunties.

7. It's a nice challenge, gives the impression of the speed of the mission of Kapou'e that he cannot even really spare time to fight with the dwarves.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Give the leader more dwarves but make him a level lower (or a different unit). His ability to kill any of my units in one hit unless handled with extreme care was a bit of an annoyance.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Realization that I had to do both objectives, had to start over sending Kapou'e straight towards the sign while sending troops after the dwarves.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Egosnemesis

Post by Egosnemesis »

The easiest, "Challenging". 1.6

2. I had leveled up units from "The Human Army". Unlike when Turik played on "Warlord" difficulty, the enemy dwarf only recruited level 1 units. It's not that hard to get terrain on the enemy and the trolls make it a pretty unfair fight.

Clear

Nice touch to introduce trolls at this point.

None

6. Still a fun scenario that is well designed (well, the entire campaign is well designed). It's more my fault that I'm playing on such an easy difficulty level, I'd imagine I would have had more fun if it was more challenging. Again, not a design flaw.

See 6.

None

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
Arnaudus

Post by Arnaudus »

Challenging (the easiest one), 1.7.1

5, not the most complicated one.

Actually, not very clear. I was very surprised not to win after killing the dwarf leader.

Well, I know Wesnoth is about battles, but I find a bit strange to meet all these guys who prefer dying instead of letting a few orcs walking a few hundred meters in their territory. The arrival of the trolls was good.

This is a recurrent criticism for the whole campaign, but the ennemy forces are weak while their leaders are incredibly strong. Beating this lvl3 dwarf leader would have been almost impossible without the possibility of slowing it, and even though, this was tough and I lost several units.

6, I like the way trolls arrive.

The dwarf leader should be lvl2, this can be compensated by a little bit more money.

No, but I should have done it if I was perfectionist, given the losses I took killing the leader.

--
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Warrior, 1.8.1
(2) 2. (but coming in with 1 crossbowman and one archer near leveling helped (without playing The Human Army))
(3) Clear.
(4) Good.
(5) Well, Grüü almost died. As the trolls made a beeline for the dwarf lord once we had cleared the rest of the foe, that might have been hard to avoid. Other than that, no problem.
(6) 6 - I enjoyed a bit of dwarf-hunting, and keeping them off of favourable terrain to keep life easy. The dialogue is good, and winning the scouting in the north helps keep the dwarves from getting too many mid-game recruits.
(7) Right now the option to run seems unnecessary, since the free trolls tip an already winnable scenario into a walkover. If running is meant to be an easy option, then not running should be harder.
(8) No, although see (5).
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

I skipped The Human Army, so I had only the troops from the first scenario.

1.8.3, Warrior (Difficult), i.e. (what I consider) Normal difficulty

1 if you just send your leader to the signpost; 7 if you want to kill the dwarf leader

Clear

Nice

Killing the dwarf leader, especially after he parked himself on mountains, and thus had 70 def. It took some serious luck (he missed 3 times against a Warrior with 40% def and 44 HP, and got hit by the warrior on retaliation). But killing him despite his 70% defense AND despite the fact I didn’t slow him was very satisfying.

6, because the dwarf leader was just annoying.

If the player skips The Human Army scenario reduce the level of the dwarf leader to 2 and give him slightly more gold, since the player is not very likely to have many level 2s. If the player fought the humans and leveled a few troops, then a level 3 won’t be as much of a challenge, but if not things are different

No, thanks to some luck
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Difficult, 1.8.5

5 - Getting across the board is pretty simple, although I admit it took me two tries.

9 - Killing the dwarves is impossible, imo, if you fought "the human army"--there's just too many dwarves to battle with only 5 recalls (even if they are all lvl 2).

Clear, get to the signpost or kill the dwarves.

Fine. The trolls were a bit more articulate than I expected.

First play I recalled quality troops. Then I realized that was foolish, and recruited 3 riders/meatshields. I just rushed the signpost.

I finished in round 13/18 with 10 gold and will bring 4 into the next scenario.

5 - Another one that I would say is mediocre.

I think you should give a 40 gold bonus to anyone finishing Human Army, then I'd be more inclined to give this one a whirl.

See above.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Nightmare; 1.9.2

9 for front assault initially. It's not that hard to kill all the dwarves once you get the hang of it, so maybe an 8 ultimately.

Pretty clear. On one attempt, I killed all the dwarves without having my leader make a run for it, forgetting or not knowing that killing the leader was insufficient.

Good.

It's hard to figure out how to beat the dwarves in the hills near your keep. I found that overwhelming numbers of units was key, as well as foregoing attacks a lot of the time. I got it down to the enemy leader, but he just wouldn't die on this attempt. Edit: I finally won with killing all the enemy and getting my leader to the signpost one turn early.

Good as is.

It took me a few attempts.

Just one comment.

Edit: Reuploaded later replay with a total victory on Nightmare, no save reloads here or earlier.
Attachments
SotBE-Toward_Mountains_of..._replay.gz
(27.2 KiB) Downloaded 849 times
Yrth

Post by Yrth »

1.8.5, nightmare

Mostly clear, it is not mentioned that you loose if the l2 troll dies

Fine

see 7

Remove the condition that the l2 troll has to survive. One can hardly influence if he dies or not. So it is just a matter of good or bad luck which is not fun.

see 7
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Normal (Difficult), 1.8.5

3. The dwarves never managed a solid fighting force.

Clear. I thought at first that

It seems weird that the dwarves use more flowery language than the elves, and I could have done without the "Argh, I have died!" junk.

I'm arrogant enough here to blame my failures on bad luck.

5. Not special, but plenty adequate.

None come to mind.

Gruu got sniped as I was tied down with bad attacks.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

1. Easy, 1.9.4
2. 1, I hadn't done the Human Army but it was still easy. (I already had a crossbowman from the previous scenario too, and my leader was an Orcish Ruler)
3. Clear as...mud. I killed the dwarvish lord easily using Kapou'e, then found out he had to run off to the signpost anyway, wasting four turns.
4. Very. As usual with mainline, the dialog and story is good. Brilliant stuff.
5. Sending Kapou'e running as fast as he can to the signpost, even though there were no more enemies to fight.
6. 7 before my objective misunderstanding, 3 afterwards.
7. Clear up the 'early finishing bonus' bit - that makes it sound like you have two alternate objectives.
8. Nope.
9. Er...
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Faello

Post by Faello »

Nightmare (Warlord), 1.8.5, no saves/reloads

6 if you want to finish off dwarves, if not it's 2.

Passed by "The Human Army" scenario going straight towards the mountains since it was a dead-end in the previous versions of this campaign, so perhaps it could be easier with some lvl-ups

7 losses in this scenario, 14 kills.

They're quite clear, altough killing Kwili (Dwarvish Lord) should automatically end the scenario since Kapou'e states that they can loot the dwarven treasury if Kwili and his dwarves will get defeated which imputes that they have enough time to do it => 20 turns limit to move Kapou'e to a sign seems to be forced and illogical. I had to repeat the scenario once because I was 1 turn short from the sign after killing the Kwili.

It's ok, nothing special tho'.

Time limit. Defeating dwarven army is doable and even not that difficult with bonus gold from the previous scenario - player needs to hold most of them on the 30% terrain and they will die easily, even if their army of pathfinders, thunderers and warriors is superior in quality to what player can put into the field. I was concentrated on letting Kapou'e get the leader-kill and I lost one lvl2 unit this way, but aside from that it was a good battle, probably too difficult for the newbie and average players on the easier levels tho'

It's also important to lure Kwili into the low-defence ground, since he's very powerful opponent even with the troll reinforcements on the players side

I give it 8.

It's interesting and well designed, also it force player to deal with the dwarves without assasins which is possible using the high ground against them => another great advanced tactics training scenario.

Killing the Kwili (Dwarven Lord) should automatically finish the scenario and give additional gold from early finish. At this moment, necessity to rush to the sign after dealing with the dwarves seems to be forced and unnecessary.

First time it was the misundestanding regarding the bonus objective and main objective, second time it was Kapou'e death due to the wrong choice of the battlefield. Best area is shown in the replay.
Attachments
SotBE-Toward_Mountains_of..._replay.gz
(21.91 KiB) Downloaded 807 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

(1) Normal 1.9.6
(2) Just getting to the signpost? 2, your really only going to die from carelessness or exp greed. Getting to the sign post and farming some exp? 3, Again your only going to die from carelessness. Killing the Dwarf Leader? 8. Easier than it seems (reinforcements help!) but crap he spams a lot of dudes and has a lot of hp. And the reward (22 gold per turn AFTER you get to the signpost) is far from worth it....
(3) It take me a few moments to find the post, would help if the camera pointed to it. The fact the scenario doesn't end after you kill the dwarf leader even though it says early gold finish is seriously odd
(4) Pretty good except the stupid death quote the dwarf leader had. I always thought of dwarves as pompous, stubborn and territorial, so their other words and actions didn't seem odd to me
(5) For the sign post? Quantity of units (still easy enough). For killing him? Sudden horde of thunderers, A LEVEL 3 LEADER IN THE SECOND SCENARIO and his high amount of hp...
(6) 4, was ok I guess. 1st objective was too easy, 2nd objective was frustrating
(7) Have him recall a few level 2s when your near the signpost, so the scenario has some challenge near the end. Maybe make him level 2 if you intend people to kill him, and have his death actually end the scenario.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? See above.
ayearhasgone

Post by ayearhasgone »

Medium (challenging?), 1.8

5 (for killing the enemy leader before heading to the signpost, without playing The Human Army)

Very

It was alright. The trolls seemed more clever than usual, as mentioned above.

Luring the dwarves onto unfavorable terrain. Also, their leader was a BUGGER! I had to let trolls wear him down before slipping in for the killing blow. Otherwise he cleared half my attacking force on the counter-attack!

Things were getting pretty dicy before the trolls showed up. Without them I think this scenario would be near unwinnable.

I think it's fine as it is

Yep, I underestimated the dwarf leader and he slaughtered most of my army on the counter-attack, including my leader.

My strategy was to send the bulk of my army around the northern edge of the map, snatching villages and luring the dwarves onto unfavorable terrain. A few sacrificial units were sent into the heart of the mountains to slow the enemy down. I rotated my wounded and just tried to wear the enemy down, but my ranks were getting thin. The trolls showed up just in time. From there it was a matter of holding back and letting them do most of the dirty work, while I stole a few killing blows. :twisted: The dwarf leader was a bugger as I mentioned above. I leveled one orcish warrior, another crossbowmen, and my leader.
Cel

Post by Cel »

1.) 1.8.6, Challenging

2.) 8 (I killed the Dwarves)

3.) I thought the game would be over when I have killed the Dwarvish Lord, but I had also to reach the signpost...

4.) Interesting

5.) I had to high losses

6.) 7

7.) the objectives could be clearer

8.) I reloaded a turn, because I had very high losses
sorry for my English...