Scenario Review: SotBE 3 - Towards Mountains of Haag

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

sine_nomine

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 3 - Towards Mountains of Haag

Post by sine_nomine » May 1st, 2016, 2:53 am

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Nightmare 1.12.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
8 to kill the dwarf
164 starting gold

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The initial attack from the dwarves is dangerous since you need to do some fighting during the day, and the boss would be very hard to kill if he wasn't willing to move into poor terrain.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Attachments
SotBE-Toward_Mountains_of..._replay.gz
(28.39 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

BillytheBabyGoat

Post by BillytheBabyGoat » December 21st, 2016, 3:34 am

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
1. Nightmare.

2. 4.

3. Very clear.

4. Interesting.

5. Had to watch the enemy leader carefully and avoid putting anything too close to him; also was interesting deciding where to fight, especially with the time constraints.

6. 5. It was fine.

7. None really, lost one or two units trying to get the leader, but with the option to take the sign instead it's not a problem with the scenario.

8. Restarted once when a level 2 crossbowman with some xp got killed. After the restart, managed to finish with a level 3 goblin knight, a level 2 goblin knight, 3 level 2 orcish warriors, a level 2 crossbowman, and some units with a little xp, which felt solid.

Getsome

Post by Getsome » May 25th, 2017, 2:52 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficult 1.12

6 at first, 4 once you know the trolls will be reinforcing.

Very clear

Alright, I don't play for story

Keeping Gruu's dad alive, which I gave up on quickly.

8 - a good primer and a great showcase of trolls. Good map layout with flanking paths for riders and villages and advantageous terrain to fight over.

IMO it's near perfect. If anything make it a little bit more difficult - it's a bit easy to backcap all their villages. Maybe add a single dwarf or some hostile wildlife (foraging rams or goats would be flavorful) in the northern part of the map to slow down capture a little.

Restarted twice, once because Gruu's dad died (which I stopped trying to prevent) and again to try a new tactic - not fighting Dwarfs on mountains no matter what and to send more Wolf Riders to steal villages. Reloaded a few times to move units I forgot about.

Fun scenario, I like that it puts Wolf Riders to good use. I used 3 and stole all their villages ASAP which starved the Dwarfs out pretty quickly. Showcases the power of trolls nicely as well, it's cool stalemating vs the Dwarfs only to have Gruu and co. swing down and slaughter them in a few turns.

max_torch

Post by max_torch » March 22nd, 2018, 2:51 pm

Nightmare 1.12.6, 183 starting gold, chose to skip the scenario "The Human Army"

Clear

Just alright.

The fact that most of the terrain on the map is favorable to dwarves. And with the thunderers you can get really unfortunate or really lucky.

It's pretty good already.

Did some restarts for optimization purposes. The thunderers have wild luck swings. I'm already aware that the next scenario is fiendishly difficult.

The scenario forces you to apply proper tacics and judgment. If you want to optimize gold you have to allow yourself to lose units. I was pretty pleased to see the trolls being effective in blocking the enemy leader towards the end of my playthrough :)
SotBE-Toward_Mountains_of..._replay.gz
(25.63 KiB) Downloaded 54 times