Scenario Review: SotBE 1 - End of Peace

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sine_nomine

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 1 - End of Peace

Post by sine_nomine »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Nightmare 1.12.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The storyline of the campaign is overall quite solid. However, I think the script would benefit from some editing. There are many places where I thought the grammar or syntax could be improved, mostly in the later scenarios. In the introduction, the use of dashes annoyed me but overall the setup was good. The dialogue in the scenario itself was great.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Nothing really, it's pretty straightforward.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
It's pretty simple, but I like the level design. A great starting scenario.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Nothing

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No. No reloads in this campaign and no restarts in this scenario. Although to be fair, I played through the first several scenarios of this campaign when I was new to Wesnoth.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
No idea
SotBE-End_of_Peace_replay.gz
In retrospect, I played terrible here and got good luck.
(21.4 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
SotBE-End_of_Peace_replay_v2.gz
Better version
(20.51 KiB) Downloaded 638 times
BillytheBabyGoat

Post by BillytheBabyGoat »

Content Feedback wrote:This is a review of "End of Peace" - the starting scenario of the Son of the Black Eye campaign. Feel free to answer the questions below; reviews of other scenarios are also available on the forum.

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
1. Nightmare.

2. 1.

3. Very.

4. Interesting; it's fun playing as the orcs.

5. None in particular. Brought two wolf riders down the west side to get villages; their cavalry went north, so I came behind them and took the villages, then swung north to flank them. Meanwhile after recruiting one keep full of troops I moved Kapou'e to the center keep, and used a bunch of grunts to block attacks for archers. Finished the scenario with 39 xp on Kapou'e, a wolf rider pillager, an orcish warrior, and an orcish crossbowman.

6. 6. The leader rush tactic is fun, and the scenario is good for getting some starting xp.

7. None, it's a first scenario, it doesn't need to be crazy.

8. None.
taptap

Post by taptap »

1.12.6, Warrior, difficult (no intention to try nightmare after the rebalance to make it harder).

6 (i had positive luck, so it was harder than it felt or i got worse)
18/24 59 carryover.

good.

how many ways can you start a campaign?

sitting out a day time loyalist attack in the center of the map, seems the way to go, but feels bad. i always feel weak with northerners. should have recruited more archers.

5 (the map is fine, but i don't feel like having options at all. need center keep, need flankers, need cost effective troops in center)

add hills.

no.

// I played the campaign pre-rebalance until one of the huge battles towards the end where i lost interest. Played on hardest difficulty then, but won't try that now. //
Attachments
(19.83 KiB) Downloaded 633 times
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Getsome

Post by Getsome »

Difficult 1.12

5. Easy to complete but a challenge to optimize.

Very clear

Don't play for story

None really, though optimizing the approach was challenging. Specifically, what to recruit, when to move your leader and how many wolf riders to send and where.

8 - Fun straight forward level with a good split map design. I really like the flanking path on the West side.

A great introduction. I wouldn't change anything, unless you want to add goblins :whistle:

Pretty new to Wesnoth and almost brand new to Orcs, so I restarted several times to get a good completion with maybe 2 deaths and a good spread of XP across my units. No specific event, I just tried different approaches. Ended up going with three Wolf Riders to capture villages then flank while holding the mid-map fort and woods with an even mix of Archers and Grunts.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Nightmare 1.12.6

Clear

Nice to finally be the violent orcs.

It forces you to fight during the day if you want to win and optimize and you have to get some units to level up otherwise you have no hope. Deciding how many wolves to send left to grab villages and the right time for them to join the main engagement

7. Nice warm up.

I don't really have any ideas.

Yeah I restarted a few times because I'm trying to optimize by trying to get early advancements.
(20.77 KiB) Downloaded 612 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Challenging

- Crystal clear

- Very good for the start of orcish campaign. It immediately sets out the tone that orcs aren't always some ravaging barbarians, but that they have their own policy, which is threatened by greedy humans. Kapou'e is a really believable orc leader and a likable protagonist

- Avoid being trampled by humans during the daytime

- None, this is a really good start

- Not really
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.1, Warlord (Nightmare), 100g

8 for that turnlimit.

Clear.

Clear.

None.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
SotBE-End of Peace replay.gz
(18.26 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
KK188

Post by KK188 »

1.14 and 1.16.0, Nighmare difficulty

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)?

Only a 6 for both versions as the enemy sends their troops in piecemeal.

Clear

Its fine

The turn limit.

6, just your standard 1st scenario

Make the wolf rider at the end of the scenario loyal.

None
Attachments
SotBE-End of Peace replay.gz
(18.17 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

1.16.6 Warlord (Nightmare)

4. You have to choose your recruits carefully and plan for time of day to succeed, but pretty straightforward map.

very

Very. I like how this campaign gives orcs more depth than they have in other campaigns, and explores their motivations. I also like how when Kapoue encourages his troops, he always says 'grunts' specifically rather than a more inclusive term like 'orcs' or 'warriors', which I think is a nice subtle reminder of how goblins are marginalized in orc society and how that would show up in the ways orcs talk to each other.

I had to restart a few times because I got in too much of a hurry and tried to press my advantage during the second day. Retreating back to my keep and waiting for the second night was better. I also overrecruited wolf riders in the first playthroughs.

6. Solid first scenario. Gets you used to the dynamics of the faction, presents some interesting decisions, builds the characters. Maybe a little too simple, though.

The way the map is set up, 90% of the fighting happens in flat terrain below the middle keep. Since we're depicting orcs being invaded by humans, I think it would be better if the map were mostly hills/mountains, with maybe some narrow 'roads' of flat terrain running through them. That would give more flavor to the orc 'home field advantage', and it would match the intro dialogue about 'humans took the orc territory and pushed them into barren hills', etc. As it is, there are lots of hills to the north, but it doesn't make sense to just sit around and wait for the humans to come to you there. More hills/mountains throughout the map would also allow you to give the enemy more gold/units, because the cavalry and heavy infantry would be hampered by the terrain, and that would make the player focus more on superior orc mobility in hills, guerilla tactics, etc.
I think it would also be better if the enemy keep was in the bottom center of the map, rather than bottom right corner. As it is, because both the middle keep and the enemy keep are on the right side of the map, it funnels 90% of the fighting into a narrow lane between the central lake and the eastern forests. The entire left side of the map is just used for one wolf rider to casually gather villages unopposed. If the enemy keep was moved into the center south of the lake, then the AI would probably split its forces more evenly to the right and left of the lake, and that would lead to more interesting tactical decisions for the player.

I did very well during the first night and then tried to push toward the enemy keep in the second day, and lost too many units to finish. I had to restart and retreat during the second day instead.
Attachments
SotBE-End of Peace replay 20221127-094205.gz
(16.26 KiB) Downloaded 44 times