Scenario 22: Face of the Enemy

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 22: Face of the Enemy

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Re: Scenario Review: DM 22 - Face of the Enemy

Post by santi »

This one we need to rebalance. It should be harder.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Would you care to elaborate on that beyond a vague statement of difficulty?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Does the replay help?
Attachments
DM-Face_of_the_enemy_replay.gz
(27.02 KiB) Downloaded 1051 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

A little, perhaps you could respond to the above questions that are relevant or at least outline how you feel the difficulty should be increased?
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Ok, so :
1)hard
2) 1-2
3)clear
4) clear
5)None, really; avoiding the ambush which could (in principle)result in losing a unit
6)could be a fun scenario, but it is just too easy
7)The problem is that the enemy recruits only 3 LV3 units plus the leader.
There are various ways to improve it:
a) leave it as it is, but at the end have a loyalist guard enter and another fight
b)increase the enemy gold and have the enemy use different tactics, such as grouping.
c) set up a big ambush near the enemy keep with hidden enemy units. I think I'd go for the last one now and perhaps have one of the magical units(Delf,Chantal or Kalenz) say something about something does not feel right and it's been too easy thus far.
What do you think?
8) No
9) Looks ok
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

santi wrote:c) set up a big ambush near the enemy keep with hidden enemy units. I think I'd go for the last one now and perhaps have one of the magical units(Delf,Chantal or Kalenz) say something about something does not feel right and it's been too easy thus far.
Sounds more reasonable, and having one of the characters mention that something feels out of place would warn the player without just springing it on them. I will pass this along to the maintainer.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 2
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Did Sagus come from another campaign?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? This was very easy. A lucky chocobone could have killed a person or two, but that didn't happen.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 6
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Does the enemy even try to escape? More units for the enemy and faster units. Maybe a secondary leader to get enemies up faster.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No.

I agree that the scenario is very easy (probably too easy). I like the idea of somehow adding a second wave of attackers.
FaiKHR

Post by FaiKHR »

I'm doing a campaign overview seeing as i don't have the time to individually comment on 22+ scenarios ... ( and most of my comments are generic to the whole of the campaign).

Meduim

campaign - 6

Sometimes good, sometimes bad. In some scenarios it says defeat all enemies. I take this to mean defeat every unit. However, you only have to kill the leaders to win with these objectives. In other scenarios there are defeat all enemy leaders. So therefore i was confused why there was a difference if you are meant to do the same thing for both.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Clear and intresting

Understanding the differneces - see 3

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

The fight while defending the king has some flaws. The enemy in the left hand part of the map uses scout units to attack the king, which draws out his guard. After a turn or two the guard and all his troops have gone off to another leader to fight. This meant i ended up with a lot of crossbows attacking the king and none of my units were close. I replayed a few times and this mainly always happened. Maybe give the guards 0 movement when no enemies are around?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

See 7
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium.
2. Sylphs are awesome units.
Very clear.
Who is the "enemy"? Apart from that, I think it's ok.
None? Too easy.
3. TOO EASY!
Add more units. More Ghouls! They are very good opponents against player.
None.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 6
(3) Clear.
(4) Okay.
(5) The AI using Banebows like walking corpses, suiciding them into Delfador and killing him even with only 1 tile to attack him from.
(6) 3. I liked the Space Hulk feel - until I ran into the enemy.
(7) It could be harder - apart from the risk of the enemy killing one of the key characters, it's straightforward right now. Maybe I'm suffering from Advanced Heroquest nostalgia, but I thnk more enemies but lower level would seem more interesting; there's this big network of rooms right now but you meet only 4 enemies on the way to the enemy keep. More of an income for the enemy so he can keep sending stuff at you would help too; or perhaps some reinforcements or a set of guards on the keep itself to make the final attack on the lich harder.
(8) Losing Delfador twice, until I learned to put lame units in the front line.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1) Medium
(2) WAAAAAAAY too easy. I never had a situation where even one unit was in danger of dying... the units the opponent spawns are weaklings compared to the heroes you have, and because of the tight corridors it is always a 1:1, which favors your units to the brink of undefeatable
(3) Very clear
(4) not very interesting. It is interesting that the old advisor is evil now, but noch that surprising...
(5) Always thinking that there are traps or secrets or something. Because of this I wandered around in the empty hallways, awaiting an ambush and was slower than neccessary
(6) 5. Most fun is the dialogue (counted in the Epilogue), but I thought the whole scenario was quite pointless
(7) Traps, ambushes, and, that would be a big bonus, darkness! I looked at the map in the beginning and initially knew where the opponents would come from, where I had to go and so on. It would be much more fun if actually being in need of searching the opponent and never knowing where the next attack will come from. There are a lot of empty rooms scattered across the mansion, why not using them?
(8) No
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.3, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

1, even though I started with min gold

Clear

Fine.

No challenges.

2 – would be 1, but I never liked Sagus and enjoyed crushing him.

Make it more of a challenge – at the very least give more gold to the enemy. It’s the final scenario, after all.

An ambush when you approach the enemy leader is also a good idea, as long as there’s a hint about it.

Not seeing the entire map from the start is also a good idea, and it makes sense, too – the heroes should not know the plan of the manor beforehead.

No

For a final scenario in a campaign this one sure was anticlimactic. A few easy-to-kill level 2 undead, a Lich, and then – the end. Did not seem like a final scenario at all. I was hoping to see how Delfador rescued Konrad and fled to the elves – now that would make a much better final scenario. Instead we were just told a few final things, and that was it.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.4; 100 starting gold

Clear.

Okay. In the epilogue, I slightly object to breaking the fourth wall by pointing to another campaign in the end. I know you tried to do it subtly, but it could be done more subtly.

None really.

It would be more fun if too hard than if too easy, especially for the last scenario of a campaign. Given the setup, it would take a zillion undead to overwhelm my forces. So, either add a zillion undead or change the map to be more open.

No.
Attachments
(23.31 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 100 starting gold.

Kill bad guy.

Perhaps I missed it (I admit I don't pay the closest attention to the dialog and have some breaks in my play between scenarios) but seems like Sagus should have come up before.

Again we have a conversation with an enemy leader hidden by the fog, which seems odds to me. Suggest lifting fog for conversation.

Realizing there were no major challenges. I kept waiting for something to happen.

3, no challenges, just tactical maneuvering through tunnels.

It needs to be harder. If you were to just dump a bunch of gold on the enemy, it would turn into a slogfest and actually given the limited number of units player has, that could easily get too hard very quickly - at Hard the undead do a lot of damage and its hard to keep units out of their kill zone. Maybe add some imprisoned allies on the way so player gets some reinforcements/cannon fodder.

Opening it up would be one option, but I actually liked the maneuvering through tunnels (play A-Team theme song in your head while you do it). Perhaps trickle some gold to enemy on turns 4, 7, 10, etc. so recruits keep come at you at a reasonable pace?

The ambush near the enemy might also be a good option, I was kinda expecting it (even before reading this thread) just because of all the little side rooms. Again though, with limited number of troops player has, would be easy to go too hard.

In the bigger picture of the campaign, Showdown in the Swamp was my favorite scenario - lots of units made it a more battlefield-like combat. Since then feels like I've had minimum gold and just a handful of units - felt more like a RPG.

No.

Seems fine.
Attachments
(24.08 KiB) Downloaded 857 times