Scenario 21: Clash at the Manor

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thrash

Re: Scenario Review: DM 21 - Clash at the Manor

Post by Thrash »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.8.4, Hard, 100 starting gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

6. I had more struggles than others. See 5 & 8 below.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

"Enemy unit reaches the signpost" should be "Enemy unit reaches a signpost" since there are two of them.

Also, now that I understand that the riders are the ones programmed to escape, maybe make it really clear with "Enemy rider reaches a signpost". I guess another enemy unit could, but it seems really unlikely.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It was weird to have Pilafman playing a role in the dialog when he was hidden by the fog. Maybe life the fog for the dialog so you can see him and then have it descend before play.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

The enemy has a lot of latitude in its actions, you have to be ready for a variety of tactics. Again see (8). I found it difficult not to lose units, especially when he didn't split his forces evenly between west and south routes.

Also understanding enemy really was trying to escape (I know it says that, but frankly I didn't give the AI enough credit to actually do it).

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

Handling initial enemy wave 7. Handling clean up and secret door finding 3.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Give rice-man another wave of recruits once you cross the river.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

This took me three tries to beat. I split my forces into two groups of four, sending one group to cut off south route and one to cut off west route.

First time all the enemies troops went south, and frankly I exposed Delfador too much and he got cut down by swordsmen.

Second time (reloading from start) the enemies split more evenly with two Dragoons going west and the rest going south. I wasn't ready for the speed of the Dragoons and the fact they really did try to escape rather they engage me. They got by me and I wasn't able to either kill or ZOC-lock them and one escaped.

Third time (reloading from 1) I handled the Dragoons better by staying in front of them instead of taking a defensive positon, killed initial wave. Rest was then easy.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

Looks good.

Ah, I see now Dragoons are programmed to escape (and I see the clue in the dialog about that). The first time I played I'm not sure enemy recruited any. Maybe make sure he does?
Attachments
DM-Clash_at_the_manor_replay.gz
(25.94 KiB) Downloaded 2101 times
santosis

Re: Scenario 21: Clash at the Manor

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

Pretty clear, finding the trap door was different.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Solid.

It took me a few tries to exercise proper patience, I rushed out too far my first few tries. I still lost a lvl 3 archer to terrible luck (he went 0/5 against a lvl 3 royal guard).

I finished in round 12/32 with -185 gold and will carry -116 gold over to the next level. Minimum gold for life.

7 - Its a nice level.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Periodically send cavalry to make a run for one of the posts.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yeah, bad strategy on my part. I could have reloaded for bad luck, but I figured I was close enough to the end of the scenario that it didn't matter.
dsa

Post by dsa »

Hard, 1.9.3

5, the objective sounded more difficult than it actually was.

Clear

Okay.

Finding out where the enemy wants to flee and be quick enough to send all of my units there.

7, an extraordinary objective, but this scenario lacks difficulty again and therefore wastes some of its potential.

Finding the secret door was just boring. I finally looked it up in the WML, when I got tired of looking by myself.

To increase difficulty I would add some signposts and raise the gold for the enemy.

The objective to find the secret door should be cut in my opinion.

No.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Challenging, 1.9.4 (100 gold)

Clear.

More fog talking... :annoyed:

He didn't recruit any Cavalrymen, so it was pretty easy.

4: The overall concept is good, but the scenario itself could be made better.

• 1:More enemy units. (Royal Guards?)
  • 2:Ensure that the general recruits mounted units.
  • 3:Make the AI smarter
Cavalryman got away. Darn.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
It's Fine.

(10) How well did you find the map for the scenario?
It makes the scenario easy and boring :( (Bigger? More spice!)
Attachments
DM-Clash_at_the_Manor_replay.gz
(28.27 KiB) Downloaded 802 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 4
Objectives: 100% clear
Dialogue: Good, i like the part about how they aquired orcish weapons, gives it a real sabotage feel.
Challenges: I split my forces in half to cover both exists, but the entire enemy fleet only rushed for 1, so i had to fight them with half my units.
Fun: 7
Changes: I don't know about this secret entrance bit. At first, i thought it was one of the two doors in front, but it wasn't. Then i circled around the place to look for any signs of cracks or holes, there was none. Then i decided to look out in the forest for like a trapdoor that would lead underground into it, but there was none. Then i put my thinking cap on and realized that there were random encampment tiles spread out around the manor, so it must be a puzzle, i was supposed to stick a unit on each piece and the doors would open, but it wasn't that either. So i just decided to have one unit move piece by piece around the whole thing and randomly a space opened up. That seems like an anti-climactic way to find the secret entrance.
Reloads: none
Fate is against me.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.10.3. This scenario would be a prime application for mattsc's escape AI. Other than that I would change the silly name of the enemy general. "Pilafman", "Riceman", "Potatohead" or similar names just kill any fantasy atmosphere. And of course it is odd to hear the enemy general talking when I don't see him.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
vanatteveldt

Post by vanatteveldt »

1) Medium, 1.10
(2) 2
(3) Fine
(4) Fine
(5) None
(6) 3
(7)

It is way too easy, although I had near the mininum gold I think. I didn't even consider day/night or terrain, just recruited all L3's, charged north and killed everyone without losses, even moving into the water myself to get hits. I was confused what to do at the manor, I didn't think of going around all the squares initially.
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)

2 You could lose this one if you tried really hard.

Clear.

No challenges.

Super easy, super short. I won't rate it.

Make it harder. No one came even remotely close to the sign post.

No.
Attachments
DM-Clash_at_the_Manor_replay.gz
(28.94 KiB) Downloaded 831 times
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

1.10.7 - Normal

4 - Two Enchantresses, one Sorceress near level up plus one more enchantress and it wasn't really difficult.

Clear.

It was ok. I like the fact that the last scenarios show some of the topics that were mentioned in HttT.

Delfador and Chantal were nearly killed by a Royal Guard but luckily survived (even though it was close).

6 - It was ok.

Perhaps send out some Horsemen that try to reach the signal posts. All of the opposing units were rather trying to kill off my units instead of heading for the signal posts.

No.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version? Challenging 1.0.4
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 1. No need for planning a strategy.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? clear. Keep the enemy from getting to either signpost and kill enemy leader. Then find a hidden door.
(4) How clear and interesting? clear. but I think the campaign should have ended 3 scenarios ago at llah-Malal and Delfador's showdown in the swamp.
(5) Major challenges?
Finding the secret door. I was looking for something special but it was a normal hex in the north side. Would have been fun to have markings on the door.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 3, the idea was good but needed spicing up.
(7) Changes?
The enemy had a nice big castle but needed more enemy troops, a larger map, adding unpredictable something like some fast undead trying to get to the signpost, bats coming out of the manor, things like that.
(8) Reload or restart the scenario? no
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear, but when it came searching for the hidden door, that took me a good while

- Nice indeed. Seems like things have headed downhill with Asheviere increasing her power and with that Book of Crelanu. I find it nice to present elves being sly here, using orcish weapons.

- Find the hidden doors

- Either give the leader more units or have another enemy leader

- No

- No
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not much storyline or scenario here... just a prologue for the following level.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Strong enemy units could wipe any of my units if they got all of their strikes on target.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
3. Too easy.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
More enemies. A bit of dialog wouldn't hurt.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.7, Great Mage (Difficult)

Clear.

It was okay. Except for this one perceived inconsistency. #4220
The orcish sword/bow icons in the attack dialog are a really nice touch.

None.

7 (mostly due to the icons)

No.
Attachments
DM-Clash at the Manor replay.gz
(31.08 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am 1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.14.11, hardest: 'Great Mage' (difficult), no reloading during campaign; probably played the scenario at least twice, didnt remember anything though
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2 in comparison with the rest of the campaign, too easy with recalls
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
The part about riders: Not properly clear. I was expecting something similar to that UtbS scenario with explicit messenger spawns. This kind of thing really should be properly explained especially if there are other campaigns using different mechanics. Here make it clear that the term 'rider' refers to normally recruited mounted units. Better dont use the term 'rider' and rather use sth like "recruited mounted units (<list of all recruitable mounted units>)".
--
The main objective: Bad. I needed to find the entrance and I didnt get an increase of the time limit. This is unfairly messing with players.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
This is supposed to be a 'manor'. Are there civilian units? Why dont we get to see Delfador murder some hapless maids or sth? After all - no one is left alive. Or rephrasing this: I think this "leave no one alive" tough talk without properly backing it up doesnt fit. Either remove the "tough talk" or back it up with some slaughtered civilians. Or make it clear that there arent any civilians if there are supposed to be none - or did I miss that part?
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Its too easy. See also other comments.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am (9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
(Didnt look at the WML.)
Attachments
DM-Clash at the Manor replay.gz
(30.58 KiB) Downloaded 288 times