Scenario 20: Prince of Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

santosis

Re: Scenario 20: Prince of Wesnoth

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4 - Destroying lvl 1s with a a small group of lvl 3s.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Kill jerk face.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I expected jerk face to chit chat at the end of the scenario.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not really any challenges.

I finished in round 13/22 with -39 gold and will carry 84 gold over to the next level.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7 - Its a stomp, but enough enemies to make it easy.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Probably good as is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
dsa

Post by dsa »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hard, 1.9.3

7, I had some problems at first, because I didn't focus my attacks on the Assassins.

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good.

One minor thing (error?) I noticed: Chantal can't move during the first turn.

The Assassins with their backstab ability.

7, i don't like scenarios with shroud, but compared to other scenarios it is quite challenging.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Can't think of anything.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yes, one restart, when too many of my units got killed. Afterwards I realized to focus my attacks on the Assassins.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Challenging, 1.9.4 (100 gold)

Clear.

Once again we have talking through fog, however, I noticed that fixing it is on the TODO list.

Getting use to attacking at night ;)

I think these should happen...
  • 1:Place a bunch of camp villages around the Generals
  • 2:Give Eldred some Royal guards
  • 3:Change the Dialog so Eldred declares the attack
  • 4:Change the objective to "Resist until the end of turns"

I liked this scenario, but I think i'd be better if Eldred was more dominating. Besides, there are almost no scenarios in this campaign that require you to resist until the end of turns. :)

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Fine.

(10) How well did you find the map for the scenario?
A bit blank, but OK.
Attachments
DM-Prince_of_Wesnoth_replay.gz
(35.39 KiB) Downloaded 1430 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 4
Objectives: 100% clear
Storyline: Good, nice background to HTTT
Challenges: Trying to keep everyone alive. There isn't a steady cash-flow, so you're likely going to be bringing in all your vets.
Fun: 7
Changes: none
Reloads: My enchantress got mauled by an archer, 2 mages, and a swordsmen, and then died with like 2 exp till leveling, so that was an obvious reload.
Fate is against me.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.10.3. I recruited several L1 and only recalled a few L3. Several unexpected unit losses (one to 4/4 hits against 60%) but still easy enough. Storywise I wonder about all the ambition to save Eldred here, just to make a big feat out of killing him later (Delfador in the prequel to HttT). It is somewhat unsatisfying not being able to kill him here, he was trespassing after all!
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

It is somewhat unsatisfying not being able to kill him here, he was trespassing after all!
Unsatisfying for whom? Kalenz would much rather he did not have to deal with that jerk, but he does. Delfador is still
in the King's service, who does not want to start a war with the elfs, but that does not mean killing his own son(he should have, but thats the drama in HttT)
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)
100 gold

Clear.

The first wave is big enough to potentially cause some trouble. Luckily the map is dominated by a big forest.

5/10

Don't know.

No.
Attachments
DM-Prince_of_Wesnoth_replay.gz
(34.71 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.7 - Normal

3 - With a good recall list (3-4 of Sorceresses + an Elven Champion) it's pretty easy.

Clear.

Interesting to see the "betrayal" Heir to the Throne refered to.

There was no real challenge.

7 - Pretty straight forward plus some surprises due to the fog.

Leave it as it is.

No.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear - waste this jackass of prince

- Good indeed. Really shows by the end that things are leading to "Heir to the Throne" campaign, revealing how and why is it happening

- None much, just trying to keep Kalenz and Chantal safe (enemy units were mostly hitting on them)

- Give some surrender dialogue to Eldred, but otherwise is all fine

- No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

- No
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

1.14, medium difficulty.
The dialog is quite campy, there is no ambiguity, just Eldred acting as a jerk. Evil people are not so easily to spot in the real world, which makes them much more dangerous.
I had to restart entirely after rushing into the open and getting my troops slaughtered, and a more prudent strategy (keeping in the woods) let me gnaw the enemy troops one by one, but it was then difficult to reach the objectives in time.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, not so much interesting. I miss a speech from Eldred.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Having to deal with two enemies.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
More difficult. Either adverse terrain or a worse location, i.e. in the middle of the two enemies.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.7, Great Mage (Difficult)

Clear.

It was okay. I was a bit confused about the mass advancement though. #4219

None.

No.
Attachments
DM-Prince of Wesnoth replay.gz
(34.76 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm 1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.14.11, hardest: 'Great Mage' (difficult), no reloading during campaign; probably played the scenario at least twice, didnt remember anything though
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4 in comparison with the rest of the campaign, sloppy play
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, not very interesting.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Somehow the recall list is changed improperly without explanation. All units had 0 XP or sth.
-
Due to the terrain and the AI it is too easy with recalls.
-
Getting rid of the 80% or nothing scheme (without even telling the player how much the next scenario starting gold default is) would help. While I dont think the plus-40% scheme is good its IMO at least better than the one used in this campaign.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
(Didnt look at the WML.)
Attachments
DM-Prince of Wesnoth replay.gz
(34.54 KiB) Downloaded 271 times