Scenario 20: Prince of Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 20: Prince of Wesnoth

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Re: Scenario Review: DM 20 - Prince of Wesnoth

Post by santi »

1) hard
2)7
3)clear
4)clear
5)I actually like this much more than the original version from LoW.
The challenge is facing overwhelming enemy forces in favorable terrain though
6)8
7)looks optimal now
8)no
9) have not looked at the code yet
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

In this one and the next two, Delfador shouldn't say "No! I'm so young!" when he dies. He is not that young anymore.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

??? Delfador cannot die in this scenario
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

If he dies, the level is over, right. But he still can die (you just have to restart). When he dies, he says "No! So young..." which isn't too applicable at this point in the campaign.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Are we talking about the same scenario? This is the one where Kalenz is about to kill Eldred and Delfador appears and saves the day... Delfador does not fight and when he appears the scenario is over.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

Ugh, you are right. Sorry. In the next two scenarios, when he can die, he says the thing about being young. Do I make any sense now?

From Scenario 20 on, Delfador is 54 (according to WML comments). So, when he dies in 20 (which is impossible), 21 or 22 he should not refer to his being young any more.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Ok, that makes sense then.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 5
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Good. The entire campaign has very good dialog/story.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Not many. Stay in the woods, keep healing and you are set.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 6
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Make the enemy recruit stronger units.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? I only had 100 gold, so units were precious.

There is a typo in the post-victory dialog:
"The Book is not evil in itself, but it the power it gives tends to magnifies any evil in the reader's soul."
Should be "tends to magnify" or just "magnifies".
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium.
5. If You stick in the forests, enemies will slowly run out of troops. When everybody die, simply mop the leaders. Period.
Very.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Interesting! It nicely connects with Heir to the Throne campaign. I also like the whole idea. It's common in history, when war ends, somebody try to collects the benefits.
Not loose anybody during march through the forests (I lost one elvish horse though).
5. Fairly easy.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Smarter scripted recruits of enemies. If Elves like to fight in the forests, more trapers, huntsman and rangers should be recruited by enemies.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 6
(3) Clear
(4) Fine.
(5) The initial enemy onslaught is quite tough. Keeping units alive is hard with hard-hitting units like marauders coming at you in numbers.
(6) 6 - good tactical challenge.
(7) -
(8) Losing Kalenz on the first attempt - I tried crossing to the central woods, which wasn't the right strategy.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1) Medium
(2) 3. I don't want to repeat myself, unfortunately I have to. Simply too easy... Both enemy forts within reach of a big forest? The opponent never had a chance
(3) Very clear
(4) The dialogue is the big plus of the campaign
(5) Challenges... the 2 turns for each enemy fort I spent outside of the forest to kill the leader
(6) 6. The fighting is boring, but the dialogue is good
(7) More challenge
(8) No
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

3 – I thought it would be harder since I started with the min gold and could recall just 5 units, but they were enough

Clear

Fine

Surviving the initial enemy attack without any losses.

6 (thanks to the good dialog, otherwise would be 5)

No changes

No
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.4; 100 starting gold

Crystal.

I need two more lines of dialog from Kalenz and the Evil Prince to motivate Kalenz' attack. Right now it's like, "Evil Prince: Haha, I spit on you elves." "Kalenz: Well then, I must throw away the treaty and slaughter all these humans." Kalenz needs another line like, "Surely you jest. Return the way you came and no harm will come of you. I will defend these Elvish woods if you do not." And then the Evil Prince needs to fart in their general direction again. And then Kalenz can decide to attack.

At the end, the dialog troubles me. I've always been suspicious of Delfador (from the first campaign), largely because of the suspicious timings of his arrivals, and this is just one more instance. He didn't just arrive at some random time. He arrived the instant I slayed the prince, or at least thought I had slayed the prince. The b*stard must have been laying in the bushes, watching the battle, just waiting for that moment. Or else he shouldn't arrive at that moment.

This was a bit of a tough one, with just 100 gold. I went with semi-experienced level 2's, some raw recruits, and a Shyde. As usual with Elves, the correct strategy is to hold in the woods and let the enemy slaughter themselves. However, the central woods have the disadvantage of the enemy coming from three sides. You have to choose the woods by the keep and fight well to squash the initial wave. I don't know why the enemy doesn't have enough income to crush you after that. I guess it's only because the AI is so bad, especially with widely dispersed reinforcements.

Mostly the dialog.

Yes, taking part of the central forest caused my leader to die, and so I restarted from turn 1. I then read the walkthrough, and, as I suspected, staying in the forest next to the keep is preferable, though I think this is mostly because of the board edge, as I hardly got any reinforcements, since the enemy so quickly gobbled my villages.

Very good.
Attachments
DM-Prince_of_Wesnoth_replay.gz
(36.76 KiB) Downloaded 1584 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

First, a bug report: for some reason an Elvish Outtider I recalled was poisoned when he appeared. I suspect he was poisoned at the end of whatever scenario he was last in.

1.8.4, Hard, 100 starting gold

7. In retrospect I did the wrong thing and moved my troops into the woods east of the lake instead of holding the woods by my initial keep. It was a tough fight basically being surrounded. Ended up losing a Rider but leveling several units.

Kill bad guy, though "bad" is fuzzy.

Fine.

Being surrounded and not losing too many units.

Fix the recall of a poisoned unit.

The AIs seemed to quit recruiting at some point and didn't start up again until I entered his keeps. During play I thought he got an influx but I don't see that in the WML.

No.

Looks fine.
Attachments
DM-Prince_of_Wesnoth_replay.gz
(34.28 KiB) Downloaded 922 times