Scenario 19: Showdown in the Northern Swamp

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lider4815

Re: Scenario 19: Showdown in the Northern Swamp

Post by Lider4815 »

Ok, ok, i speak spanish and i didnt understand the dialogues very well.

Thank you very much.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty:5
Objectives: 100% clear, however i accidentally didn't read them and just assumed that illiahmalal was the target to kill, instead of everyone.This left me up at his keep with 4 turns to make it down to the southern enemy to get rid of him, so i was just like "dude no way" and debugged him dead. Silly mistake on my part, although it is kind of awkward to have to take a de-tour to kill all enemies.
Storyline: Pretty good, it's interesting how delf explains that it will now be easier to spawn undead, that kind of gives an explanation as to why there is so much of it in scenarios set later.
Challenges:Deciding which units to send in first. Because the enemies traveled in hordes, the guy i stick in front or attack with first is going to get mauled. It's like offering a sacrifice to a mob.
Fun: 7
Changes: Lionel recruited archers along with his HIs, which are not very effective against any enemy in this particular scenario except for the DAs. I would have much rather him replaced the archers with mages, or more HIs if mages wouldn't fit with his military style. Either that, or i'd like to controll him from the start so i can choose what he recruits or use more money for my own troops.
Reloads: None
Fate is against me.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.10.3. 100 gold. Announced like the major battle but doesn't feel like that, easy to lose but not really a big battle (what for did I level all these mages?). I went south trying to time the major engagement on the dawn of the second day. Purple had a lot of adepts and there were 4 nightgaunts among the recruits of the other opponents - managing both of them without exposing too many units was the main challenge. Lionels L1 (cavs, archers, HI) with leadership were very useful in killing adepts though some of them bit the dust. Gave the holy water to the loyal halbardier (I foolishly tried to maybe save some gold), Lionel and the shadow designated to kill the Lich.

It is strange that you can lose your only undead unit in the field without defeat message although this makes it impossible to win the scenario (if I understand correctly). Of course giving the final blow to an unit that can die to a single round of attacks by the lich can easily go wrong and recalling two undead to be on the safe side is a big handicap during the main fight.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
vanatteveldt

Post by vanatteveldt »

1) Medium 1.10
(2) 7
(3) Fine, although the "you need an undead unit to kill the lich" could be a bit clearer (I guess I glossed over the dialog too quickly, on restarting the scenario I saw that the warning was there - but I missed it the first time around. Maybe on the first recruit/recall add an extra conversation where the player is reminded?)
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Good
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Keeping my shadow alive, as they are quite fragile.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 7
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? It could be made a bit harder, this is about killing the arch-enemy
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Ghost died
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)
100 gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
No challenges. It's extremely easy. One melee unit backed up by a healer can hold the north for quite a while, meanwhile you can obliterate the two remaining armies, which are spread out. Garad's troops make this even easier, because you can use them to bait dangerous foes (i. e. you are not going to lose core units – not that it would matter).

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Too easy to get a good rating. 4/10

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
This is supposed to be a showdown, a thrilling campaign ending battle. It sure doesn't feel like it. Make it significantly harder.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No. It's trivial.
Attachments
DM-Showdown_in_the_Nort..._replay.gz
(50.56 KiB) Downloaded 1354 times
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.7 - Normal

6 - With a paladin, a mage of light, a white mage near level up and the three holy water flasks, it wasn't to difficult.

Clear, but: I missed that you needed to recall an undead and had to jump back a few rounds in order to do so.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear and interesting, especially Illhan-Malal's final words.

My major challenge was to keep my undead alive.

7 - Nice showdown, but perhaps a bit too simple.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Don't really know.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I had to reload two times: The first time, I hadn't recruited an undead, the second time Lionel died.
Violet-n-red

Post by Violet-n-red »

1.12.2, normal, mere 100 gold pieces.
6 maybe? not as difficult as i expected it to be. undead were hesitatnt in attacking holified heroes and it helped steadily push the line without dying horribly. well, one spearman and horseman have fallen, but they were dumb and nobody like d them anyway. also, one heavy trooper was almost chopped into pieces, but was evacuated in time.
not clear. i stil ldon't know if i had to kill Illiah-Malal only or al leaders. sent strike teams in every enemy camp and castle just to be sure.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
great!
praying to RNGeezus when my nazgul (or whatever than2lvl ghost with the sword is called) missed every attack on an almost dead lich commander, then evaded every axe strike and magic bolt.
but seriously, there was not much of a chalelnge when enough high levelled units are available, only randomness liek this was a problem. i probably would've had to wait til lthe end of turns to bring by gold to positive value to hire another ghost if this one have died.
10. or 11.
none. how can you make it even better?!
none, but that nazgul missing every hit and then evading every single one was pretty close to making me do that. he had to land one hit, just one single hit out of four with 60% chance to hit!! RNG, RNG i know... that would've been the case where save-reloading for better outcome would've been justified IMO. well, i had more ghosts in the store, but had a big debt and a negative income.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version? Challenging
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 2
Clear. Kill all enemy leaders. You have to kill IM with one of your undead if you had one. I used a Nightguant.

The dialog continues to be very interesting, the background information supporting the characters throughout the campaign. The storyline is well structured to maintain a nice flow. The narratives build upon each other, adding a depth to each character.

100 min starting gold. I had a pretty decent recall list by now, and would have liked to play more units. 5 was suffient however to complete the objective.
I really enjoyed this scenario.

Gameplay: recalled 2 MoLs, a loyal Halberdier, a Cavalier, and a Shadow. The Cavalier, a Halberdier, and Kalenz got holy water. Leveled the Shadow to Nightguant and an ally horseman to a Dragoon. Moved straight north then west. Got to IM's castle and eliminated him with the Nightguant. It was a walk in the park to finish off everyone else, went in a counter-clockwise circle.

How to make it more fun?
This was a final battle scene between IM and Delfador, but it lacked the feeling of an epic showdown. make it more challenging by increasing our min gold so we can recall more units, give the enemy more gold, and make a larger, more complex map. Something like we saw at Parthyn.

Still some lingering unanswered questions. In the last scenario Delf closed the portal, so what will become of the ghosts he befriended? Are they cursed to wonder the earth for all eternity?
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear

- Pretty good. I like how Delfador easily explains the undead he recalled and how he's a a match against Illah-Malal when banishing the darkness

- Trying not to get swarmed by undead

- Give a final dialogue between Delfador and Rothrin (first ghost you meet in "The Land of Dead") before sending him back

- Not really, but I had to repeat one part because I ended up having Lionel killed by the Death Knight

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

- No
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

It seems my post was lost, so I am rewriting it by memory,
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, interesting.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Having to split the forces between the three enemies.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No idea
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.7, Great Mage (Difficult)

Clear. (But tbh I somehow thought I only have to defeat the Ancient Lich. Much running happened because of that.)

It was okay.

Waiting for daylight to defeat the undead.

No.
Attachments
DM-Showdown in the Northern Swamp replay.gz
(69.88 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm 1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.14.11, hardest: 'Great Mage' (difficult), no reloading during campaign; probably played the scenario at least twice, didnt remember anything though
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6 in comparison with the rest of the campaign, with sloppy play - may be easier with better strategy and full knowledge of the scripting
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Technically correct. But the fact that the Lich fully recovers if some other unit finishes it isnt mentioned nor did I interpret it like that. Means its misleading. Which is in general (IMO) bad for a strategy game and especially bad here because both the win condition and the lose condition are closely connected with this. Basically it means you lose if you didnt see it coming and get unlucky. Strategy needs a clear rule set - otherwise its not strategy.
-
Minor issue: The first turn of recruitments (and movement) is potentially influenced by the (false) belief that I have to defend the AI player. This (AI player coming into human player control) should be either made clear (unless I missed it?) before first recruitment or made irrelevant by happening before first recruitment.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Iliah-Malals part is lame - in a childish/juvenile manner.
And why does Delfador have access to the undead after the portal is already closed - does he carry them in his pocket or sth?
Why can Delfador recruit elves but not recall any?
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
There was too much tactical chore. It may be possible to play it better to avoid that though.
Making it harder would make it more interesting. With the so-so difficulty and not being able to recall units later (which I didnt know) there is too much going on tactically. Making it clear to the player that units cant be recalled later (or did I miss it?) would help though.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm (9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
(Didnt look at the WML.)
Attachments
DM-Showdown in the Northern Swamp replay.gz
(72.01 KiB) Downloaded 248 times