Scenario 19: Showdown in the Northern Swamp

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 19: Showdown in the Northern Swamp

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Re: Scenario Review: DM 19 - Showdown in the Northern Swamp

Post by StandYourGround »

1. Medium, v. 1.7.0

2. 4. After giving two of my Shock Troopers and a Dwarvish Lord the vials of Holy Water, and combining their power with my core group of powerful mages protected by Lionel's men and my heavy infantry, it was a breeze. Just started my defense with most of my army in the keep (with healers in the middle) to kill the fast attackers, then moved the whole gang out to destroy the undead as they came from all three enemy keeps. I only lost four or five men, and they were all pretty much Lionel's level 1 troops. Also, to lessen the chance of being overwhelmed from any direction, I recalled a Shadow to draw attention away from any weak units, and the Nightstalk trait made it easy to position him. In about 6 turns, all of the Lich's and the Death Knight's troops were gone, and I could easily handle the residue of the Necromancer's troops. I sent a hit-squad of a Mage of Light, a Shock Trooper, Lionel, and the Shadow down to take out the Death Knight, and the rest up to finish off the Necromancer and the Lich. I thought it was a nice touch that the Lich revived when I killed it with any unit other than Delfador, and I used that to level up a Heavy Infantryman. Easy and fun.

3. Very clear.

4. It was very interesting, especially when I recalled the Shadow. :)

5. Only the first few moves, but after that, it was a breeze.

6. Very fun.

7. It's already quite fun, but I suppose it would be interesting to give the Death Knight some Shadow or Nightgaunts to recruit, to add some more challenge at night.

8. No.

9. Not familiar with WML, but maybe I'll learn sometime.
I will now resume lurking silently.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 4
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? I liked it.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? It wasn't that hard. A couple units held the death knight's forces on the river bank/bridge and everyone else cut off stragglers and the sorcerer's forces at the northern bridge.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 7
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None that I can think of.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No.
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium.
3. 3xflask of Holy Water + few mages = total massacre of Undead
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Liked a lot - specially dialogues and Delfador's one-liners. Should be more of that.
None.
4 - too easy.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Less holy water or enemy leaders should recruit more than just one team. "Waves" of them should attack me, not just few ones.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 4 - completed fine once I got the right strategy.
(3) Clear.
(4) Good.
(5)
  • Finding the right strategy initially; first time I let the dark adepts flood over the bridge and that proved to be a bad idea.
  • Nightgaunts coming out of the night and surprising me.
  • The ally being a moron and recruiting me a load of archers to bequeath me on turn 2. Thanks for that, those are just what I want against soul shooters and dark adepts.
  • There's a terrain difficulty with the NE enemy - his units can move in deep water and mine cannot. If he keeps the tile past the end of the bridge occupied, and puts a soulless in the deep water just to the right, then I can only kill 1 unit per round and the other is enough to prevent units passing over the bridge; he can keep replacing the dead units and hold me up for a long time. Only the AI being too dumb to use the strategy consistently saves me from needing days to force the crossing. (But I guess I could have recalled an Elven Shyde.)
(6) 7 - there's a variety of enemies, and strategic choice.
(7) It is good as it is.

I agree with the previous poster that there was really more holy water than I needed. I recruited a steelclad and a pikeman specifically to use them, and gave the third to Kalenz; but in the end they spent more time killing dark adepts than anything else.

(8) Losing Delfador, Lionel to dark adepts and nightgaunts on the earlier attempts, until I found the right plan.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1) Medium
(2) 3-4. As mentioned before, the late scenarios in the campaign are very easy. In this case I lost all white mages in the previous scenario (I thought the fight at the gate would be the final fight and didn't pay attention on keeping as many units alive as possible) and had to fight without one. And still I won in a breeze, because the opponent had nothing that was able to seriously threaten my battle hardened units. Sure, I lost some, but none of the important ones.
(3) Very clear. Kill the Lich with Delfador
(4) It was a necessary end, and that's it. I expected the credits after the fight (I never pay attention on the number of scenarios I played)...
(5) Since I had no white mages left and there are nearly no villages on the map it was keeping the undead at bay until the units healing in villages were returning
(6) 3-4. It is simply too easy. The evil supermighty Lich, that opened an actual portal into the land of the dead has just this little to throw against you? The opponents at the ford of Parthyn were mightier and harder to beat and they were just servants of the lich
(7) A more challenging Lich, with more challenging forces.
(8) no
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

starts as 6, but quickly goes down to 3

Clear

Very nice. I especially liked Lionel’s reaction when Delfador recalled an undead unit. Also the little "competition" between the mages (lights off, lights on, lol)

Getting rid of the purple Necromancer.

I expected a bit more trouble due to having 3 enemies and starting with min gold, but it turned out they don’t have much gold either.

Make the undead less cowardly. My Dwarf Steelclad took one of the holy water bottles and the green undead dared not to attack him, even at night and when he was in forest (30% def). So the Chokobones just watched him and waited to get crushed to dust.

Lionel getting killed due to my carelessness

I was a bit surprised that I could not recall any elves. Humans, dwarves, even undead, but no elves. But it doesn’t really matter.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.4; 100 starting gold

Clear.

Good.

This is a fairly challenging scenario on hard. The limited access to the north river bank means its difficult to attack there initially, but you don't want to let the horde run over you either. I ran west and locked the Eastern horde out at the central bridge. It was a bit tense, as my forces were briefly fighting attacks originating from all three strongholds. I lost an Arch Mage to a Shadow.

I stupidly forgot about needing Delfador to get the killing blow, but no harm done except some egg on my face.

None.

Yes, I failed when I went north originally, so I restarted from turn 1.
Attachments
DM-Showdown_in_the_Nort..._replay.gz
(47.34 KiB) Downloaded 1043 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 100 starting gold

I suggest just putting "Delfador must strike killing blow" into the objectives.

I thought it was weird Delfador had undead on his recall list. I didn't recall any - from other comments maybe that would have been made more clear if I did.

The whole back and forth between Delfador and the lich the first couple turns was very cool.

Choosing which 5 units to recall. I thought it was odd that I get to this major battle and Delfador only has a 100 gold.

Balancing the three fronts.

This was a well designed scenario allowing both Delfador's high-level troops and the lvl 1 troops all to participate. I used Kalenz with a paladin and a mage to go west and finish off the SW leader. The rest of Delfador's troops then went north to the bridge and handled the NW enemy troops and took the brunt of the troops from the north, while the lvl1 troops handled the ghosts who came over the river and some of the cleanup form the northern troops.

I thought it was good.

I forgot about Delfador having to strike the killing blow first time I played, so I had him SW killing the death knight and was attacking the lich with the rest of my troops. I probably could have salvaged it, but it would have taken 6+ turns just to get Delfador up to the lich.

Looks fine.
Attachments
DM-Showdown_in_the_Nor..._replay.gz
(45.36 KiB) Downloaded 1055 times
santosis

Re: Scenario 19: Showdown in the Northern Swamp

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

3 - Even with minimum gold, I didn't need a restart and didn't lose a troop.

Kill'em all

I liked the "I rise again / no you don't" exchange; especially because I killed him with a cavalier the first time. I caught on pretty quick, and let Delfador finish him the second time.

Not laughing at the enemy's "offensive."

I went north, sent a paladin over the bridge (chopping mages in half), sent Delfador to the village in the west with a few units to watch his back.

I finished in round 15/28 with -216 gold and will carry -48 gold over to the next level.

6 - Too easy.

Triple everyone's gold. Let me recall my elves.

No.
dsa

Post by dsa »

Hard, 1.9.3

7, I used a defensive strategy and let the enemy advance. That way I didn't have to deal with the undead during nighttime.

Actually clear. One thing I noticed though is, that in contrast to the statement of Delfador, Illiah-Malal can be killed by every unit. I'm only a WML novice, but if I understand it correctly, the intention is, that only Delfador can kill Illiah-Malal and he gets a full heal, if any other unit tries it. Therefore I think this is a bug.

I didn't understand the advice of Delfador at the beginning, to sprinkle holy water on impact weapons, as it is much more useful for blade weapons. Apart from that especially the little duel between Delfador and Illiah-Malal at the beginning is interesting. A minor thing I noticed: If the shroud is cleared, the information in the status table about the enemy teams is still hidden.

Being attacked from two sides by a lot enemy units.

A hint that you lose your units from the recall list in the next scenarios. This would have saved me a restart.

Yes, two restarts, when I lost too many units and wanted to take a more defensive approach.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

4. Taking care of the initial waves can be challenging and you may lose a few units, but the attacks are poor coordinated so it's not big deal. Afterwards, it's piece of cake.

Delfador dealing the killing blow should be mentioned; I know that it is said in the dialogue, but some people don't bother about reading it.

It's fine.

Other than deciding what troops I should recall and where should I place them, none.

5. Few elite troops against numerous and/or strong enemies (Lionel's troops are useful only as sacrifices to slow down the enemy advancement, so they don't count). It was interesting at first, but it's getting old.

I don't favour the way the last few scenarios are developing. It's good to have a scenario or two where you're controlling only a few quality troops, but keep on doing it and it's getting boring. First, because this way the scenarios are becoming easier, second, because there's almost no strategy involved, only basic tactics. But I guess that's a matter of taste, I see that other people like this.

Extreme bad luck while trying to assassinate a leader while my main force was moving elsewhere (a total of 13 attacks in three rounds, all missed).
Linux. Space technology.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Challenging, 1.9.4 (100 gold)

Clear.

Great! This one has some good lines :D

Only being able to cross the northern river via the bridge. That, plus Lionel recruiting only Horseman made it a difficult fight.

A larger scale battle would've been nice, considering how big my recall list was. More gold should be given to everybody, and maybe make it so on the easy difficulty, Delfador gets rid of the fog one turn after Iliah-Malal makes it, on normal, two turns, and on hard, three.

Nope.

Fine.

(10) How well did you find the map for the scenario?
I think whoever made the Parthyn map made this one too. It has a bunch of random, weird things :|
Attachments
DM-Showdown_in_the_Nort..._replay.gz
(56.12 KiB) Downloaded 939 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Lider4815

Post by Lider4815 »

Please, i need help. I cant kill the Lich. I kill him with Delfador and always revives
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Read the dialogue. Help in the spoiler:
Spoiler:
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!