Scenario 15: Save the King

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 15: Save the King

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
lotsofphil

Re: Scenario Review: DM 15 - Save the King

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Easiest
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 0!
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Unclear. I thought you had to kill all the enemies. Is it supposed to be just Zorlan?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Good.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? None.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 1.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Make you kill everyone.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Nope.

Is this one buggy? I only had to kill Zorlan (the closest Orc) and it was all over. This was really, really simple (even accounting for me playing it on easy).

On the whole I am enjoying the campaign. I am breezing through it on easy and will give more feedback on a second time through.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 7
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear, this time, on medium.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Good.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? The initial push to kill Zorlan.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? The King's forces are very strong.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Nope.

I played this on easiest before and all I had to do was kill Zorlan (see above). This time I killed Zorlan and then had to kill everyone. If easiest is only supposed to have one objective, that needs to be fixed.
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium.
2. If You have flying elves - it's just mad rush. Ork main leader dies very quickly. Delfador with two units for backup takes care of Troll leader, flying units go fast to help the king. There massacre begins.
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not too much. Ork main leader has no personality at all.
None.
5. Too easy.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No idea :) Mayby more ork assasins, more orks?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Easy

Absurdly Easy

The Orc leader whose defeat meant my victory was right close to the keep where my units started. That Orc sent most of his troops south to the ford. So i killed him in his empty fort in 5 turns and won, only killing 2 other orc minions in the process.

If i only need to kill one Orc leader, he should probably be one of them in the further corners.

This is in version 1.8.0
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 4 - completed with losses on the first attempt.
(3) Seriously misleading.
(4) Generally good; although it seems like a long time ago that Garard set out to Abez, and I seem to have been halfway across the world and back, and he's still here, and I arrive at the crucial moment. It seemed odd to me.

Also, one of the enemy leaders gives a "run away" speech after Zorlan dies - and fights on. Odd.

(5) The objectives misleading me into doing a quick strike against Zorlan, expecting the level to end. I got hammered by trolls that I hadn't expected to need to fight. Would be 1/10 for difficulty if the objectives were not - intentionally? - misleading.

(6) 5 - it's a pretty nice battle, albeit there's not a huge amount to do as Garard can defeat the southern enemies himself (and then some). Nice to see the AI in a fight and making a decent showing.
(7) If I have to kill all the enemy leaders, just tell me.
(8) No.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1) Medium
(2) 2. It is ridiculously easy. I won in just 4 rounds!
(3) Very misleading. I killed the first chief (it wasn't even me, it was a fighter from the king who did the final blow) and all the others were fleeing. I was absolutely baffled that the scenario was finished
(4) It explains some things
(5) none
(6) 5. It would be more fun if it were a higher challenge
(7) I would increase the challenge. Maybe actually rescuing the king, not just killing one opponent. Or maybe change the location of the one opponent that needs to be killed. I killed him on "accident" because he simply was in the way of reaching the king to help him
(8) no
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

1 – see comments at end.

Clear

Fine. I liked how a few level 3s appear to help the king when an enemy reaches him for the first time. I also liked the dialog at the end.

One part of the dialog was misleading, though. If the orcs are fleeing and running for their lives, why are they still attacking?

Getting to Garrard before he managed to get himself killed.

Maybe make Zorlan stay his keep? Hard to tell

No

Thoughts on this scenario (in order):
1) “Just 100 gold? This is gonna be tough.” – I started with min gold
2) “What is he doing? Is he crazy?” – my ally recruited a full keep, but mostly level 1s, and started attacking both Zorlan’s troops to the north (the ones in the shallow water) and the SE orcs. Some bad luck during his attacks made me worry even more
2a) “Maybe he’ll be fine” – he actually managed to kill a few enemy units and made it look like he can take care of himself. The level 3s he got when an enemy reached him also help reinforce my confidence
3) “Zorlan is an idiot!” – He came out of his keep, allowing me to kill him at turn 4 (yes, FOUR)! I couldn’t believe my luck… and then I got a new objective. Damn!
3a) “I better hurry and help that idiot.” – As I watched Garard II get attacked by orcs while most of his troops were busy with finishing off the SE orcs and fighting some of the trolls

Overall Garard was surprisingly reliable and competent ally. This made the scenario pretty easy.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.4; 100 starting gold

7 or 8

Clear, but I suspected that the objective would change to kill all, and indeed it did. This is problematic, in that players may overextend their lines to kill Zorlan, only to find their assassinating troops hung out to dry as the objectives change.

Okay.

The first time I played the scenario, the king's forces killed the southeast leader and were doing a decent job of protecting the king. The second time, the king's forces were nearly annihilated, did not kill the southeast leader, and left the king fully exposed. Crossing the ford under risk of attack was the sticky part, and the second time I had to hurry. In saving the king, after all my other troops had attacked, I used a wounded Royal Guard, killing one of the two remaining trolls next to the king; I fully expected to lose the Royal Guard, but the last troll, a rocklobber, decided to attack the king, despite having no chance of killing him (though two trolls could have.)

As for the mop-up operation, I'm always saying the leaders should have some emergency funds for personal defense, and finally it happened in this scenario. Once I got into the southwest leader's keep, he recruited on all the empty hexes. Nice touch, though futile.

I'd prefer the objectives to start with kill all enemy leaders.

To reduce the variance in the performance of the king's troops, I would get rid of all the assassins south of the river. One assassin defensively poisoned 4 of the king's men in one turn. Sheesh. Or make the king's troops smart enough to bash on the assassins with melee weapons.

Yeah, I sent Chantal, with some trepidation, along with others to fight the troll leader. The troll leader did nothing at all for two turns, then squashed her flat at night, so I restarted from turn 1.
Attachments
DM-Save_the_King_replay.gz
(51.71 KiB) Downloaded 1498 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 100 starting gold (I think that is a fixed amount).

6, it's the usual survive the first wave and then crush, but with some twists.

Kill the bad guy, now kill all the bad guys.

The change in objectives did leave me with some units hanging out to dry since I was expecting, naively, the scenario to end, but fortunately there was nothing close enough to be a real threat.

Fine.

1) Trolls - couple of them pick on a unit and get lucky and its game over. Lost Delfador that way first attempt.
2) Crossing the river - scary moment as there were some trolls and grunts that could have made my life hell, but fortunately they decided to go pick on other units.
3) I split my forces after I got over the river, sending just a small group to the SW who ended up having to seriously backpedal when the leader suddenly recruited.

8. Kudos for:

1) Having an ally that can actually defend themself, and
2) Giving SW leader influx of gold to make the usual mop-up interesting.

Just make the objective to kill all leaders from the beginning.

Delfador getting double teamed by trolls who got lucky and killed him from full health in one turn.

Seems sufficient.
Attachments
(54.72 KiB) Downloaded 940 times
Elvish_Conquerer

Post by Elvish_Conquerer »

Medium 8.0 100g

1/10 Just walk down and attacking as you see fit

You should tell the player just to kill everyone but I could have had a few units dying if it weren't for some extra offerings i gave to the Rng before playing

Clear. But maybe you could have the orc guy have a speech about uniting the great orc tribes to sweep this land clean of its Human vermin etc. Oh and the "Run Away" but staying to fight SE leader

5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
none

7.9 ,fun because it gives you a rest but you don't actually get the satisfaction of perfectly outmanoeuvring an enemy and crushing him

Clear up the Objectives

8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Well, as I was mopping up the trolls and Garad had finished killing all the SE units he decided to send everybody SR and then The SW units surrounded him with their strongest units and killed him in one turn
"Not only that! He made the AI so smart that, it changes the RNG without affecting statistical analysis! So even if you calculate the probability of getting what you got, it seems reasonable, even though it isn't. We've uncovered a massive conspiracy!"
santosis

Re: Scenario 15: Save the King

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

Two replays show its pretty much a matter of luck- if Garrads forces play well, its a 3, if not, then a 10.

Kill the big baddie, save the big goodie.

Solid.

My first play, the trolls got to Garrad in round 6, hit all their attacks, and reduced him to 3 hit points.

I reloaded to round 4, and the same trolls landed only 1/2 their hits.

I finished in round 11/30 with -211 gold and will carry 120 gold over to the next level.

6 - I don't mind Wesnoth's randomness, but I don't like losing to AI idiocy. Either give Garrad 100 hit points, or reduce the aggression of his troops.

See 6 above.

Explained above.
dsa

Post by dsa »

Hard, 1.9.3

8, in contrast to what the walkthrough says, "my" Garard had problems in defending himself. I arrived and killed the attackers just in time to save him. He had only 4 HP left.

I did not understand during my first attempt, why the objective changes from killing one leader to killing all enemy leaders, instead of being "kill all enemy leaders" from the beginning. I found the reason for this, when I looked at the WML afterwards and noticed that the scenario is finished on easy, if you kill Zorlan. On higher difficulties it would make more sense, if the objective is "kill all enemy leaders" right from the beginning.

Good.

Protecting Garard.

Change the objectives as explained above.

The gold boost for the southwestern orc is a good idea, but I killed him on the same turn, that means the additional gold had no impact on the battle. I suggest to trigger the event one or two turns earlier. Additionally the orc should say something, when this event is triggered.

Yes, one time, when I was not careful enough and lost important units.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.9.4 (100 gold)

Clear. I was going to say the objectives should be "Kill them all" at the start, but then I saw that on easy you only have to kill Zorlan. However, It would be better if the original objective was removed from the list when you kill the leader.

Good. (Delfador's camp being in the west is weird because the story part shows them coming from the east :hmm: )

Rushing in on Zorlan so I could protect the king.

The first time I played this campaign, I was expecting Zorlan to be a Sovereign, and I still think he should be.

Death of Garard II.

And again I say fine.

(10) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
Well, it's not the "Ford of Abez" from Heir to the Throne, but I guess it works.

Here's an idea - How about the map from HttT gets used here. It would change the scenario drastically, but I think it could be made into a good scenario if the Great River was 'not as deep.' This could be accomplished by turning the shallow water into forded water, and some of the deep water into shallow water. Resize the maps north and south, place the camps, change the scenario file a little, and ta da! :D
Attachments
Includes brutal Shock Trooper footage ;P
(62.13 KiB) Downloaded 821 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
taptap

Post by taptap »

I tried this on highest difficulty in version 1.9.9. Invariably King Garard killed himself before I could reach him. None of my troops is fast enough to do anything about it. Maybe if I had a sylph, better 2, and a shyde and move them southwards instantly, I could intervene, but as it is, I am losing regardless of what I am doing, even with the most reckless quick advance possible. The assassin / slayer units of the opponent are a major part of this, because Garard is obsessed with them, and wastes a lot of (missing) hits on them so the other units can take his troops out easily, another problem is that his units rush east and leave him with little defense towards the west. Highly frustrating, tried half a dozen times then deleted the save files of the whole campaign.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.