Scenario 14: Shadows

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

flammstrudel

Re: Scenario 14: Shadows

Post by flammstrudel »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)
173 gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
It's easy to underestimate the amount of damage Zombies can do at night. And arcane enhanced elvish champions are actually too good at killing Zombies.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Good. 7/10 Nice map, spooky atmosphere.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No idea.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Lost units I didn't want to lose.
Attachments
DM-Shadows_in_the_Dark_replay.gz
(55.11 KiB) Downloaded 1435 times
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.7 - Normal

7 - I had just 85 starting gold so I wasn't able to recruit many troops. Luckily I had an Elven Champion surviving and so I gave him some holy water and supported him with two enchantresses, Kalenz and Chantal. It was a little bit luck based but in the end everything worked out nicely.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It combined the two storylines and the sudden appearance of Delfador was nice.

Keeping Chantal alive while killing the leaders.

9 - It was a nice scenario and Delfadors troops coming in made it even better.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Fine as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Once Chantal got killed.
Violet-n-red

Post by Violet-n-red »

1.12.2 normal, enough gold to hire a full round of 2lvl units
updated objective is lying: when Delfador arrives, objective says "kill all enemies", but actually it is same "kill all leaders" - this made me waste two more turns hunting skeletons with my elves.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
good.
-
-
-

i must say that reapers and nighstlakers (or whatever those things are called) flying out of the mist looks really horrifying, especially considering how i've been playing with those before and experienced how hard it may be to deal withthose. thankfully, i had enough of both variations of 2lvl druids to not lose anybody in my elvish party. sadly, in Delfador's party Clogrin the royal guard was harvested. RIP in spooky forests :c
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version? the middle medium mode. using 1.0.4 on iOS (not jailbroken) so not sure how to upload my saved replay.gz
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 8
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? clear.
(4) How clear and interesting? the story is very interesting. Good background info.

(5) Major challenges?
Only 100 starting gold
The wiki said we will face only level 1 & 2s but not true in my case. Spectres, Nightgrunts, and Draugs joined in.

With only 100 gold I had just 5 recalls, but it was enough. A Sharpshooter, 2 Enchantress and 2 Outriders. I Outriders are so useful in long range attacks. Gave Holy water to Kalenz and the Outriders.

I just went counter-clockwise around the lake. Moved west as quickly as possible to take the green leader. Then moved southeast to avoid getting overrun with Spectres, Nightgrunts, Wraiths, and numerous Skeletons in the dark. Took out the southern purple necromancer, then moved east. More bad guys along the way including a Banebough. Many come out of the water at dark.

On Turn 12, Delfador shows up in the southeast with 4 White Mages, 3 Shock Troopers, and a Royal Guard. IBut really did n't need him at this point, just had the northeast knight left to take. Leveled Chantal to Shyde and one enchantress to a Sylph.

*** Save the mages and the Royal Guard and shock trooper. They carry over as free units in the next scenario.

(6) Fun? (1-10) Very fun! One of my favorite scenarios!
(7) Changes? good as is
(8) Reload or restart the scenario?
Yes, because I got cornered once.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

The objectives are extremely unclear. The starting objectives are "Defeat all enemy leaders", then when Delfador shows up it changes to "New objectives: Defeat all enemies."

This would seem to imply that now you have to kill every enemy unit, however you still only have to kill the leaders.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The storyline is good. Kalenz and Delfador finally meet, and of course it has to be in the middle of a battle. Delfador appears just when the enemy has got level 3 reinforcements that give him an unfair advantage - so, Delfador arrives just in time to save the day. Nice touch.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Killing enemies quick enough so they don't accumulate.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It is good as it is.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5. Normal

- Clear

- It was good in here, nice to see Delfador and Kalenz meeting each other. Death Knight's lines could have been modified though

- Chopping my way to the last enemy leader while fighting against powerful undead units

- Either modify Death' Knight's lines or make it that there's some kind of alarm regarding the arrival of undead reinforcements

- No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

- No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario 14: Shadows in the Dark

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.7, Great Mage (Difficult)

Clear.

It was interesting.

None, since I listened to Chantals warning.

No.
Attachments
DM-Shadows in the Dark replay.gz
(50.42 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm 1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.14.11, hardest: 'Great Mage' (difficult), no reloading during campaign; played the scenario several times
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3 if knowing the script (in comparison with rest of campaign); totally unfair and potentially fatal if not knowing the script; note that I only remembered part of the script in the attached replay; did not put in much effort in the replay
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear. But the early objective is pretty much irrelevant due to all the units popping up out of nowhere.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I dont like the 'hero worship' (of Delfador) expressed here by the elves. Its okish if a human peasant (Northern Rebirth?) does it for a human leader but this seems off.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Scripter doing too much. Better just give more gold to enemies than having units popup in bad ways. Its also much easier to script.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Dont cheat. In turn 7 (see replay) I lost my scout due to scripter cheating.
Also turn 12: popping up Delfador so that he cant see the fast-moving undead there and they can then assassinate him afterwards (they didnt assassinate him in my case but they killed 2 of my units instead); units popping up out of nowhere is IMO bad in general, here its far worse because the timing and location are paricularly unfair
-
Getting rid of the 80% or nothing scheme (without even telling the player how much the next scenario starting gold default is) would help. While I dont think the plus-40% scheme is good its IMO at least better than the one used in this campaign.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm (9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
(Didnt look at the WML.)
Attachments
DM-Shadows in the Dark replay.gz
(56.52 KiB) Downloaded 227 times