Scenario 13: The Return of Trouble

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

slyeyes

Re: Scenario 13: The Return of Trouble

Post by slyeyes »

1) Medium, 1.8.5 (401 gold)
2) 8 (and by the time i am writing this, i still have not completed the scenario)
3) Very
4) Dialog? What dialog? I heard there's some at the end of this scenario, but otherwise...
5) Attempting to finish in the time limit.
6) 5. Something about this map makes me imagine a hot day under the blazing sun...
7) I think one orc leader is enough, i am not used to fighting over 2 enemy leaders...
8) No, although i lost 5(!) units when they were ABOUT TO LEVEL UP, i still have not attempted to reload!
9) No
10) This map just makes me sick. (see 6)
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, 380gp, no reloads

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Probably "7", difficult but not that tough. Killing the purple leader by turn 3 is essential to deny him spending all his gold. Moving quickly into the forest is also a very good idea.
Can't give it a higher score b/c you are not too behind in gold amount, and have a luxury to fight in the vast forest.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
fine, but Chantal was running in the end like she's insane. Make her approach "standard-looking".
Also, in the final talk Kalenz behaves like he has no fkn clue what the holy water is, this can't ever be realistic for an old experienced elf.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Killing the purple leader quickly. Scoring hits vs orcs' dodgers.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
"9", all thanks to interesting map layout and balance of armies. The story part has a minimal influence on the "fun" factor. This map reminds me the first 3 scenarios, looks "ordinary" but very well done.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Probably reduce purple's starting gold, so killing him right away will become not the only best play. The player's choice should be less clear - quickly kill purple risking a few troops, or avoid the fight in the open and settle into the woods first.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
restarted a few times to luck out a "quick" marksman.
Attachments
DM-The_Return_of_Trouble_replay.gz
(70.12 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times
Last edited by podbelski on September 22nd, 2011, 5:11 pm, edited 8 times in total.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

...one more thing, I think changing the order of sides might be beneficial for the balance.

Make it like:
1) red (player)
2) purple
3) blue
4) black (ally)
5) green

...maybe 4) can come before 3)

As is, it looks sort of unfair, every orc is given a chance to trample over your ally before they strike back
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 6
Objectives: 100% clear
Storyline: Pretty good, i like when i get to see two simultaneous pieces of a storyline that later converge (as i assume they will.)
Challenges: Basically the fear of it. It seems pretty daunting the first few levels into it because there are just so many enemies. Then it kind of mellows out near the end. There was also the temptation to spend a lot on leveled units just because they're that cool, but i made sure to get maybe 1 of each and spend the rest on level 1s. I think the ability to recruit lv. 2s adds to the story. It shows just how veteran kelenz is by this point, and his army.
Fun: 8
Changes: none
Reloads: none
Fate is against me.
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)
663 gold

Objective should be: “Kill all leaders.”

Killing the eastern boss as quickly as possible was the hardest part, still manageable though. 663 gold is a lot, doesn't matter if you suffer losses. The scenario looked a lot harder than it ultimately turned out to be. The allied AI was quite helpful (I don't say that all too often). Finished on turn 14.
You can
Quite fun. 8/10

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Dole out a gold boost for the orcs around turn 9 or 10. This scenario suffers, as many others, from an anticlimactic clean-up part. Extend the map eastwards by 6 tiles and create some distance between you and the eastern orc.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
DM-The_Return_of_Trouble_replay.gz
(55.72 KiB) Downloaded 1028 times
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.7 - Normal

7.5 - I retreated into the forrest in order to survive the first onslaught. In the end I managed to beat the mission with just Kalenz and an Elven Hero surviving but I was just able to recruit about 6-8 units.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Fine. Only Chantal ran around like a manic in the end.

Killing the purple leader was pretty tough but it was my fault since I let him live during the early turns.

8 - Nice challenge and good change of pace.

Give the ally a better AI and also let him hit the opposing forces directly after you. As it is right now, his units get slaughtered before they can actually do something.

Once Kalenz died.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Please hide this spoiler for Legend of Wesmere:
Spoiler:
Even Heir to the throne which also features Kalenz doesn't say any of these spoilers!
Violet-n-red

Post by Violet-n-red »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.12.2, normal
i would like to say that Normal is really Easy in this campaign for now. may i just got better.

perfectly clear

good enough. although i was a bit surprised to see Klaenz getting surprised by the fact that a water can be holy.

not letting my high-xp 1lvl characters die

none?

there was less than 5% chance for Kalenz to die by a hand of almost dead orcish warrior. guess what happened?

not much of a challenge on Normal - spam archers, fill woods with them, bait orcs in there, hold houses.

possibly bug: Chantal appears near purple camp, charges towards Kalenz, then immidietly runs towards eastern edge of the map and only after then starts talking.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version?Challenging
Wesnoth Ver 1.10.5, iOS App Ver 1.0.4 (not jailbroken) so it is not possible yet to upload or download a replay.gz

(2) How difficult? (1-10) 8
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting dialog and storyline?
The dialog is very well done. We are getting to know more background information about Kalenz which is interesting. I never knew that he had lost his wife. It adds to the story. I think Kalenz is familiar with holy water, he is just surprised that his grandaughter is dabbling in that kind of magic.

I trust that all of the different armies I've accumulated will eventually come together? For now I am just going with the flow of the story to see where it leads. It has been an enjoyable journey!

(5) Major challenges?
I really wanted to recruit those high level units! I don't remember ever being able to recruit like that.
But I resisted the temptation. They were too expensive. Just recalled my own at 20 gold each.
Having the min sarting gold of about 300 was a challenge.
Playing 10 units against 3 big orcish armies. It looked hopeless at first, but it was actually very doable.
Not running out of time!
Resisting the urge to push forward at night.

(6) Fun? (1-10)
10- very fun!

(7) Changes? None, great as is!

The scenario is fun and challenging!

An allie Sorceress stayed alive, she was by herself, even her king was dead. She went around up north from village to village removing my flags as quickly as I was gaining them. Because she had no king, the villages were turning back to an unclaimed status. She should either help me fight or stop taking my flags down. So I led an orc to her and she spent the rest of the game fighting.

(8) Reload or restart the scenario?
Yes, because I ran out of time the first time.

Started with 3 Sorceresses, 3 Riders, and put a Marksman in the lower right corner.
. On the 1st turn used Kalenz, the Riders and the Marksman to get the king when he moved out
. When it got dark, I retreated under the cover of the woods. Orcish armies are slow in the woods but stronger at night.
. I waited til morning to attack the south king.
. Got the green king in the west on the last turn. (Whew) Finished with 8 of my original 10 units.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Medium, 1.12.6

Nine out of ten. It took me a couple of tries to get through this one.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?4

Clear enough, although I was surprised not to be using Delfador this time.

The amount of orcs being thrown at you can take a long time to hack through without losing all of your units, which combined with the turn limit, can be a real challenge. In the end, I had to catch the nearest orc leader out of his base on turn two and take him out early - I can't see how I'd complete it in the turn limit otherwise.

The ally kept stealing my kills, which made it difficult to advance my units. I'd rather he'd have held off the orc to the south-west while I dealt with the north-east orc, but he seemed to focus on the NE orc.

Seven out of ten. The terrain is varied enough to keep the combat interesting, and the challenge of it makes you think carefully about your moves. At times, I felt a bit frustrated looking at the sheer amount of orcs my small force needed to cut through to reach the leaders.

Having the ally's keep moved a bit to the west so he focuses on the SW orcs early on would be good, and perhaps adding a couple of turns to the limit?

That damn turn limit.

(9) Was there any bugs?

When Chantal arrives, she sort of zooms randomly around the map rather than smoothly moving to Kalenz.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, the introduction of Kalenz is well done, as is Cleodil's report on Delfador so we see the two stories merging into one. What seems off-key to me about the storyline all along is that:
a) There seems to be an unlimited amount of orc armies, attacking all the frontiers of Wesnoth at once. Delfador and Kalenz defeat orcish armies scenario after scenario, yet there are always reports or more orcish armies attacking other places;
b) Delfador deducts from this that the orcs' target is the king, and that he will be ambushed, specifically at the ford. Sorry, I don't follow. Why bother to dedicate so much dialog to explanation, when the explanation isn't sound?
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Killing the incoming enemies as quick as possible so they don't accumulate.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It is good as it is.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Absolutely clear

- Very interesting. I was surprised that I ended up playing as Kalenz here, not Delfador. The ending dialogue with Chantal is very interesting, especially how you get to know about The Book of Crelanu again

- It wasn't really challenging

- None to think of

- No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

- No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.7, Great Mage (Difficult)

Clear.

It was interesting.

To keep moving and to wait at the end instead of rushing over the river.

No.
Attachments
DM-The Return of Trouble replay.gz
(68.2 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm 1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.14.11, hardest: 'Great Mage' (difficult), no reloading during campaign; played the scenario several times
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4 (in comparison with rest of the campaign); didnt put much effort in I think
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, not very interesting.
Does Kalenz get gold from Delfador? If so - why?
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it harder?
This is subjective: I dont like being able to recruit leveled units here. Its more fun building up units. It would be less of an issue if I would have higher leveled recalls already but this is not the case here.
-
Getting rid of the 80% or nothing scheme (without even telling the player how much the next scenario starting gold default is) would help. While I dont think the plus-40% scheme is good its IMO at least better than the one used in this campaign.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm (9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
(Didnt look at the WML.)
Attachments
DM-The Return of Trouble replay.gz
(63.75 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
rogul

Post by rogul »

Not sure whether this is the correct forum for this, but why does Kalenz start with the carry over gold from the previous scenario, when this is a new storyline? I would understand if Chantal was with him, but that's not the case.