Scenario 11: Wasteland

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 11: Wasteland

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
lotsofphil

Re: Scenario Review: DM 11 - Wasteland

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 4
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear, with the hint about where to find elves/shelter.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Good. I liked how Delfador teaming up with the elves worked out.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? None, really.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 6
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 3 - completed first time.
(3) Clear
(4) The dialogue continues to be a strength of this campaign.
(5) Not knowing what I'm facing when I'm recruiting.
(6) 5
(7) -
(8) No.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1) Medium
(2) 3-4. After finishing the scenario, I just thought: "that's it? That's all? No surprise? No twist? I rushed the enemy to bits because I recruited way too much units for the difficulty, expecting something harder
(3) very clear
(4) the dialogue is the highlight of the campaign. lots of it, and it is (with some exceptions) not boring or pointless (the exceptions I mentioned in the other treads)
(5) none
(6) 6-7. An easy "kill the enemy"-Type. a bit refreshing after the harder levels in the afterlife
(7) more challenging opponents. Maybe a second enemy on the map?
(8) no
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

3 – only a little more challenging than the one before.

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very good and interesting.

My initial thoughts were “Oh, look! A cute elf girl! How nice!” A few turns later that turned into “Okay, who IS this chick? How does she know so much?” Overwall very nice development story-wise.

Probably killing the enemy leader without losing anyone.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No changes.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No, nothing
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.3

"Shelter" is vague, but okay.

"It is he who" wha...? The line about Iliah-Malal is confusing, since it's juxtaposed with sentences about Delfador, while also phrased in elvish obfusication. Maybe a transititionary phrase would help, "However, there is another... he who blah blah blah" Also, she says Delfador knows more about the dead than any man alive, but Iliah-Malal is alive (a Necromancer, not a Lich) and I would say he knows a thing or two about the dead. Poor guy gets no respect from either Delfador or Elvish Druids.

I failed to see the empty keep until Delfador was already engaged in combat, so I decided to just fight with Delfador, the one man army. I wonder if I'll need to replay it, to gather XP for raw recruits.

8. What I liked about it was that it felt like war, as in "fog of war." The combat occuring at the edges of the shroud (and beyond) and the elvish riders racing every which way made for a chaotic and confusing environment. I'm in the middle of it with my one guy who is just trying to run towards the fight, without running into more of a fight than he can handle.

I would say less Elves. They almost killed the enemy leader before I even saw him, and did kill him before I could get a zap on him.

I was hoping against all odds to hear the Mission's song "Wasteland". Yeah, yeah, I know, copyright, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them. Last.fm has it for free in a non-video video format, albeit mediocre sound quality. That doesn't mean it's legal, though.

First time, I sent Delfador across the more southern crossing and he got overwhelmed and died, so I restarted from turn 1.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
It's good.
Attachments
DM-Wasteland_replay.gz
(26.46 KiB) Downloaded 1395 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 350 starting gold.

Find "shelter", kill orcs.

Good. What's up with Atellas just sitting in a village?

Getting any experience for my Shaman, it's hard to begin with, they do so little damage it's hard to get things in their kill range, plus ally stole a lot of my kills and actually killed the orc leader.

Elves (edit to clarify - "allies") were a little too strong.

No.

Looks good.
Attachments
DM-Wasteland_replay.gz
(29.66 KiB) Downloaded 888 times
santosis

Re: Scenario 11: Wasteland

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

1 - Laughably easy.

Clear. Find and kill the rabbit.

Solid.

Leveling a druid. And that wasn't really hard.

I finished in round 16/24 with 178 gold and will carry 270 over to the next level.

6 - The change from human to undead to elves is appreciated, but this was a bit too easy.

Put a few Ogres in the mountains.

No.
dsa

Post by dsa »

Hard, 1.9.3

4, my 285 start gold + 100 gold of my ally against 250 start gold of the enemy meant no big challenge.

Clear

Good.

None.

7, playing another race is interesting, but this scenario is one more time too easy.

More gold for the enemy.

No.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

2. With the orcs weakened by an ally, plus 350 starting gold, that's an xp farm.

Clear enough

It can't match the outstanding dialogue of the Houses of the Dead, but it is good. The story is getting interesting...

Scouting the map

7, in spite of being too easy. There's another set of troops to lead, and the shroud adds to the excitement.

I'd make the orcs a little tougher.

None
Linux. Space technology.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Challenging, 1.9.4 (283 gold)

3: This campaign seems to be getting easier :?

Clear.

How does Chantal know so much about me??? And I agree with Maiklas3000 that Iliah-Malal probably knows more about the dead than Delfador.

Figuring out how many units I want buy and how much gold I want to spend :P

2: It's not fun when the AI ally has better units than you.

Either make Chantal only recruit level 1's or give the orc leader some more villages around his keep. Or maybe do both :)

Nope.

It's fine.

(10) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
It's a good map.
Attachments
DM-Wasteland_replay.gz
(36.7 KiB) Downloaded 866 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, 291gp, no reloads

"3", was too easy, but overall it should be a relaxing map, just not to this extent... after watching the replay noticed the ally was extremely lucky, probably this added up. Anyway, I think there is something to be changed.

clear

fine

none

moderately, would have been better if made tougher

prob restrict the ally to recruit slower or weaker units, and stay defensive. Otherwise the orcs have really tough time.
Attachments
DM-Wasteland_replay.gz
(35.56 KiB) Downloaded 990 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 3
Objectives: 100% clear
Dialogue: a nice touch
Challenges: I discovered the last unit of the sorc line so i'm out to get one of those as soon as possible, so basically my challenge was to level a shaman. I managed to get a sorc, and then get that sorc to kill the orc leader. To do this i literally had to block one of Chantal's rangers from getting to it by filling up all the surrounding spots with my own units. :P
Fun:7
Changes: Maybe De-level some of chantal's unit, or maybe not, seeing as she's like the veteran elf so she should have some units to match, so i guess it's no big deal.
Reloads: none

Edit: Starting the next scenario i see that i get chantels veterans, now i understand why there in there.
Fate is against me.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.10.3. This scenario is laughably easy, coming in with over 400 gold and not knowing what enemies are awaiting you it is easy to overrecruit. The most important aspect may be not losing too many of Chantals units (a pretty unwesnothish name btw.) It wouldn't be hard or anything if you just add some base income on the higher difficulties (say +10 per turn), but at least there would be some enemies left for your units to attack.

P.S. Where are my undead units from the previous scenario? They may not yet find peace, but they can do some useful work for me.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)
373 gold

Clear.

Defeating the orc is simple. Leveling some units on the way (especially shamans) not so much. Your allied seems to be hard-coded to deal the killing blow to every enemy you managed to bring down to 3 hp.

Good. It's not challenging, but I like the map and the atmosphere. 7/10

Make it harder. I am a broken record, I know, but the last 4 scenarios didn't feel particularly “Intermediate”.

Losing almost leveled shamans.
Attachments
DM-Wasteland_replay.gz
(31.76 KiB) Downloaded 788 times