Scenario 10: The Gate Between Worlds

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

flammstrudel

Re: Scenario 10: The Gate Between Worlds

Post by flammstrudel »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)
464 gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
I started this scenario with two shadows, that made it significantly easier. No real challenges.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Good. 5/10

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Footpads and more gold for the necromancer. You will start this mission with at least 450 gold (unless you didn't farm the last one), so more enemies wouldn't be unwarranted.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
DM-The_Gate_Between_Wor..._replay.gz
(27.86 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
D-Wade

Re: Scenario Review: DM 10 - The Gate Between Worlds

Post by D-Wade »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.7 - Normal

4 - I just overwhelmed the opponent.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I was a little confused with the dialogue lines coming from my ghost. At first, it seems like he wants to join the opponent but then still fights alongside you. That got me a little confused. And why exactly are the bandits coming to help Iliah-Malal?

There was no real challenge. I luckily had two leveled up Shadows and one Wraith. Them plus some other ghosts and one or two ghouls and it was smooth sailing all the way.

5 - No real challenge.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Perhaps have some discussion going on between Delfador and his ghost and further explain, why bandits would help a necromancer.
Also: Give the leader more gold and footpads as well to make it more difficult.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The mages do quite a harm, and my undead being level 1 are all too easy to get killed. You have to be quite careful not to position your units so that multiple enemy units can attack them.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's difficult to think of one.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- As good as the previous one. Illah-Malal is this kind of villain with the main goal: defy death itself. It's curious how he managed to open that portal :P

- Trying not to get myself killed in the swamp that is in the middle of the scenario

- How about Illah-Malal turning into lich after being defeated by Delfador?

- No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

- No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.14.7

1, I have more gold than my enemy, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to lose this as long as I use my gold.

Very clear.

It was clear, but not very interesting.

None.

Give the player less gold than his enemy has.

No.
Attachments
DM-The Gate Between Worlds replay.gz
(26.84 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

@Konrad2 Thanks for the feedback.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
ElvishMystical0

Post by ElvishMystical0 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.10, 1.12 and 1.14 all difficulty levels.

I'd give this a 5.

Very clear.

I've got to be honest it threw me completely. You have a faction called Undead, so why is this a portal between death and life? Surely the Undead are neither completely dead, nor are they alive. Otherwise they wouldn't be Undead, would they? Then you have the issue of a portal. If Dark Adepts and their advancements can raise the dead, then why would you need a portal? For me a portal is a point between two states of existence through which the Undead pass. Opening a portal for me suggests that the Undead will be able to reanimate themselves without Dark Sorcerers. How do the Dark Sorcerers get to the other side of the portal and other states of existence?

But okay, this is just a game and we're discussing a plot device here.

Keeping my recalled Ghost lines away from Dark Adepts. DAs kill Ghouls just as easily, but between the two for me Ghouls were the obvious spam unit.

I'd revise the plot and replace the portal with say an Academy of Doom, similar to the Academy of Mages on the Isle of Alduin. This Academy of Doom could be run by Liches and be planning to take over Wesnoth. Now that you have SotA as a mainline campaign it could tie in with this. This would make the Ghosts in this scenario rebel Ghosts who are fighting for eternal peace in death. You could then change the Portal of Doom scenario to say an Academy of Doom along similar lines.

Just a suggestion.

No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

N/A
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm 1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.14.11, hardest: 'Great Mage' (difficult), no reloading during campaign; played the scenario several times
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3 (in comparison with rest of campaign)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The carrying over gold doesnt make proper sense to me. Is Delfador carrying the gold on his own in the next scenario while freezing to death? Why do the dead even use gold? While it makes sense to use gold inside the dead scenarios (for example as a replacement for spiritual engergy or sth) the carrying-over part seems off to me.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it harder. Even though I lost too many units in the scenario before and my flanking plan totally failed it was still without proper challenge.
-
Getting rid of the 80% or nothing scheme (without even telling the player how much the next scenario starting gold default is) would help. While I dont think the plus-40% scheme is good its IMO at least better than the one used in this campaign.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
(Didnt look at the WML.)
Attachments
DM-The Gate Between Worlds replay.gz
(29.18 KiB) Downloaded 250 times