Scenario 9: Houses of the Dead

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GoatGoat

Re: Scenario 9: Houses of the Dead

Post by GoatGoat »

It doesn't seem like a lot has changed in this scenario over the years, judging by the previous posts. In 1.13.5, I can't end the scenario at all, as reaching the signpost only causes Delfador to comment on how he needs to retrieve the artifact, regardless of whether or not I actually have it. Perhaps someone should look into how the "delf_has_staff" variable is stored? I only got around it once I edited one of my save files.

Aside from that, perhaps the undead gathered in this scenario should stay on side 1, that would alleviate some people's frustrations. It's also kind of odd to see the ghosts throw themselves at the skeletons and get slaughtered.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

The problem with Delfador not being able to finish the scenario has been fixed in 1.13.5+dev.

A number of corrections are in the pipeline; some may make it in, some may not. They mainly have to do with outright bugs and logic problems such as handling things not done in the expected order.

On the question of keeping Delfador's undead followers when he returns to the lands of the living: they do return when called upon by the story line but having them available throughout the intervening scenario did not make a lot of sense and runs the risk of losing them before you reach the point where they are required.

Delfador's Memoirs covers a lot of ground, over a number of years, and his recruitment options and troops available for recall change back and forth as Delfador moves through his life. Throughout most of the campaign, having him able to call upon undead followers would be just as illogical as having him able to call upon Loyalists when he is among the Elves or has joined the Rebels; or being able to call upon human troops he met 50 or 60 years earlier and expecting them to even remain alive (much less still in their prime).
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
GoatGoat

Post by GoatGoat »

Tad_Carlucci wrote:The problem with Delfador not being able to finish the scenario has been fixed in 1.13.5+dev.

A number of corrections are in the pipeline; some may make it in, some may not. They mainly have to do with outright bugs and logic problems such as handling things not done in the expected order.

On the question of keeping Delfador's undead followers when he returns to the lands of the living: they do return when called upon by the story line but having them available throughout the intervening scenario did not make a lot of sense and runs the risk of losing them before you reach the point where they are required.

Delfador's Memoirs covers a lot of ground, over a number of years, and his recruitment options and troops available for recall change back and forth as Delfador moves through his life. Throughout most of the campaign, having him able to call upon undead followers would be just as illogical as having him able to call upon Loyalists when he is among the Elves or has joined the Rebels; or being able to call upon human troops he met 50 or 60 years earlier and expecting them to even remain alive (much less still in their prime).
Sorry for the misunderstanding, about the ghosts, I just meant that they'd be on side 1 for this scenario and the next one. In this scenario, they're on the allied scenario and join the player's recruit list when it ends.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear, though the objectives don't mention the artifact.
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, the dialogs with the dead are fascinating.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Skeletons keep accumulating themselves. Delfador can kill only one by turn, so progress is depending on the help of the dead.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Hard to say. It's easy as it is, but adding the tiniest bit of enemies would make it difficult.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
Nel

Post by Nel »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium (1.12) Delfador lvl 3
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 10
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Haven't read them (but read the walkthrough before)
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Good
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Delfador was too weak to survive a counter attack from the enemy leader + its skeletons. Had to kill the leader in one turn... (e.g. reload)
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Let the player control the undead allies and lower the rate the enemy leader recruits its skeletons. (They are too numerous and keep Delfador in the same place, busy destroying them; while all undead allies get killed before reaching the enemy leader)
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? It looks nearly impossible to destroy the enemy leader without reloading (Delfador being only level 3). Finally I replayed the whole scenario in reversed order, to keep the undead allies unkilled: first I made my way directly to the shortcut, grabbed the magical stick, killed the enemy leader, then went back throughout all the map to take villages and "free" the allies. Doesn't make sense, but it was the only way to keep the shadow at the end.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better? na
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Normal

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

- Not so clear. I had no idea what the right way was until I came up across the first ghost

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- Pretty cool! I especially like this house of the dead sequence where you see the spirits of the dead who enjoyed their eternal peace until Illah-Malal caused the turmoil. Plus it's a fun sequence when you obtain that powerful staff in the back chamber. Looking up for more!

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

- Trying to find out which way to go

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- None to think about

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

- No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

- No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.14.7

Not very clear, but I guess that's why I'm send a ghost to clear it up.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Clear, but questionable. This is very random lore and there is nothing except this campaign to prop it up. It's also odd to think that Delfador isn't actually a very skilled mage, instead he just found a cool magic artifact that didn't even improve his skills that much.

None.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.
Attachments
DM-Houses of the Dead replay.gz
(23.55 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
ElvishMystical0

Post by ElvishMystical0 »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.10, 1.12, and 1.14 all difficulty levels.

4. However first time I played this I couldn't figure it out.

Not very. It's one of those scenarios you have a play a few times to figure out what to do.

The dialog and storyline was weird, but in a good way. That blue faced oracle dude at the end when Delfador picked up the lightning rod was a hoot. Very cultish. But also very cool.

Figuring out how to play it initially, when figuring out how to get through the scenario without Delfador being turned into stewing meat by skeletons. Turns out that Ghosts are just as good as Footpads when dealing with Skeletons.

I'm going to give this a 9 primarily for the later part and the conversations between Delfador and the Ghosts, Penella the Ghoul and that blue faced dude at the end. This is classic Wesnoth.

None that I can think of. Have the developers ever thought of creating a movie out of this campaign?

Yes. My confusion - more down to my inexperience than anything to do with the way the scenario is put together. Oh and Delfador getting hacked to death. Literally.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

N/A
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm 1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.14.11, hardest: 'Great Mage' (difficult), no reloading during campaign; played the scenario several times
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4. (But lost a lot of units in the replay. Probably due to sloppy play and bad luck.)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Knowledge of the map (due to having it played before) is useful. Its otherwise easy to miss one house.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Ok.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Getting rid of the 80% or nothing scheme (without even telling the player how much the next scenario starting gold default is) would help. While I dont think the plus-40% scheme is good its IMO at least better than the one used in this campaign.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 pm (9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
(Didnt look at the WML.)
Attachments
DM-Houses of the Dead replay.gz
(28.83 KiB) Downloaded 253 times