Scenario 8: Ur Thorodor

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 8: Ur Thorodor

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Dragonchampion

Re: Scenario Review: DM 8 - Ur Thorodor

Post by Dragonchampion »

1) Easy

2) 8.7. I had a lot of high-level troops, but the low gold from giving the thief my gold from before killed me.

3) Crystal

4) Excellent

5) Getting to the fricking Wose. I mean, on the first turn, it summons several gryphons, and then outflanks me, and I end up losing a hero or several high-level units.

6) 5. I think it's just a simple get-to-the-base scenario

7) Give it a twist; make some Woses as sentries on the island you start on, or something.

8) Yes; the gryphons. They outflanked me and easily took down even Lionel, which is pretty sad. :?

9) It looks good; better than I code mine. :P
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 9
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Fine.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Getting across the sandbar.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 6
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Having Delfador or Lionel get killed on the ford. I only had 100 gold so I couldn't recruit much fodder.
In the dialog, Ur-Thorodur's picture isn't cropped to his outline like everyone else's. It is square.
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It's clear and it's okay, nothing special.

Actually, I have no idea how to cross the sand islet without losing everyone. If this is intended, then I consider it unfair. Gryphons can easily outflank any unit of mine, I see no way of protecting my hero or the general. Up until this scenario, it was okay, and when I lost, I felt it was my fault. This time, I feel pushed against unreal odds.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The little isle between the mainland and the island is okay, but make it so that the player can make a stand there, not just send his unit to die.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Gryphons on the little islet.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I agree this is a little tricky, but the point is: don't give the griffons an easy kill. If you have to, make it an unimportant unit.
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

santi wrote:I agree this is a little tricky, but the point is: don't give the griffons an easy kill. If you have to, make it an unimportant unit.
I played it again after a one day break and I finally beat the scenario. I was lucky that the gryphons positioned themselves in another way and they attacked unimportant units this time, letting my VIPs go for the island untouched.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

I have limited the gryphons Ur'thurodor can recruit in all to the amount of two.

Please give me feedback.
bobby

Post by bobby »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium, 1.8.0

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 8

I wasn't sure where Delfador needs to go to for the scenario to end.
Initially, I thought all you need to do is step on the island, then to the edge of the castle.
I guess I didn't read it carefully.

It's nice, you get a sense of story going on here.

Keeping Lionel and Delfador alive on the sandy island.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 6
Quite a bit of luck is needed.

Have the island be flats instead of sand? (Higher defense)

I kept getting killed on the sand. Then when Delfador get across, he was hurt and got grounded down. I probably should have made him wait and shield him when crossing the water.
ScipioAfricanus

Post by ScipioAfricanus »

fabi wrote:I have limited the gryphons Ur'thurodor can recruit in all to the amount of two.

Please give me feedback.
When I played it the gryphons went off to grab villages first, so I was across before they got a chance to attack me anyway.
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium.
Hm. I don't like scenarios "go to" - you never quite sure, what is gonna happen. At the begining I thougt, that nobody will atack me. 2 gryphons and Delfador was splattered:)
Nice. But the Wose should be more "royal". I mean, he's 10000 years old, everyone should be for him like little punks. He should in my opinion speak to them more blunt.
Preying that gryphons will go for villigages instead of my troops. And agian, slow progress due to terrain.
7. I like slow battles.
Add woses at the begining on the Delfardor's side?
Gryphons-hunter-killers.
N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 2 - recall a couple of mages, and a knight for an impact damage sink, and cross.
(3) Okay - I wasn't sure whether to believe that the scenario would end when I reached the castle (it seemed like Delfador was having a wishful thinking moment), but that's what it said and it did, so nothing to complain about.
(4) Clear, not very interesting.
(5) The initial gryphons recruited by the wose could have killed Lionel if they got lucky - I had stuck him out in front while crossing.
(6) 1 - fighting woses for... 2 turns not enough to get me interested in them. But for the plot I guess that can't change.
(7) No ideas that I think will work.
(8) No.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1) Medium
(2) 5-6. I played the older version and lost a good part of my units to the griffon until i was able to get them down and cross the water, but in the newer version it is much easier. In fact, at the beginning die gryphons went occupying villages and so it was possible to get nearly all units across the water before they returned and attacked. I didn't even lose ohne unit, the gryphons died in one round (i covered my units so that the important ones were only be able to be attacked from one grypon, because i figured (from the first try) the gryphons are attacking the VIP, and none of them will die when attacked by only one gryphon) and the opponents are quite helpless on most parts of the isle, because these are either flats or fortifications, and on both environments they have just low defence.
Maybe find a balance between both variations?
(3) Crystal clear, although it wasn't quite clear if "get Delfador somehow to the fort" is the actual objective or not. I expected a twist when he reaches the goal. But that's the point of an objective i think. it is the objective the leader thinks is right... it does not necessarily be the right decision
(4) Very clear, and interesting. The twist at the end is somewhere between funny and surprising and drives the story forward
(5) to lose no units.
(6) 6. It could be really fun but tends to get annoying because either it is too easy or too difficult, depending on when the gryphons decide to join the battle
(7) Maybe Sentries on Delfadors side, maybe a greater variety of opponents, maybe a more challenging island (means: the water crossing part not a slaughter of your units and the island itself more challenging
(8) no
fritzbunwalla

Post by fritzbunwalla »

Medium

4-9 (explained below)

Yeah, generally good.

My main challenge was getting to Ur-Thorodor while he was in his castle, however getting to the island itself was no problem. It seems that as soon as he leaves his keep you cannot have the right dialogue with him, so you have to kill him, and you lose. But as soon as any of my units are within one turn's move he comes out of his keep to strike them, thus meaning I can't complete it. How have others got around this?

8 - Good if I could finish it.

A third Griffon at the beginning, one round of them would be much more challenging but not impossible.

Delfador being killed while trying to hold a conversation with a tree.

N/A
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

fritzbunwalla wrote: (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
My main challenge was getting to Ur-Thorodor while he was in his castle, however getting to the island itself was no problem. It seems that as soon as he leaves his keep you cannot have the right dialogue with him, so you have to kill him, and you lose. But as soon as any of my units are within one turn's move he comes out of his keep to strike them, thus meaning I can't complete it. How have others got around this?
You may have spotted a bug in the coding there.
The dialogue that leads to victory should be triggered no matter where Ur-Thurodor is located.
I will have a look at the code and either let Ur-Thurodor stay in his castle no matter what happens
or change the trigger not matching to locations but the Ur-Thurodor unit in the neighborhood of Delfador unit.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

Initially 7, due to bad terrain and a lot of enemies. After the initial enemies have been dealt with the difficulty goes down to 4

Mostly clear. However there’s one thing I don’t understand – why do I have to go to the enemy castle? Should it not be enough to just reach the leader Wose (meaning that if he comes out to attack me I can take advantage of his move)? Besides, it wouldn’t make much sense to go to the castle when Ur is not even there.

Very interesting. Though I am a bit annoyed at the woses – they had no trouble spotting the humans, but missed the Orcish scouts?

The two griffons the wose recruited the very first turn.

5 – too little strategy and too much luck involved for my liking.

Make the enemy leader UNABLE TO MOVE! It’s really annoying when he decides to attack (and with some luck – kill) Delfador while I can do nothing because the enemy leader MUST survive (so I can’t kill him). And since I can’t attack him I have to go around him, which slows me down even more.

Bad luck. Examples include a mage missing all three attacks against a wose, and Delfador getting hit 5 out of 5 times despite being in a village (60% def). And of course, the classical “mages misses 2 or 3 times despite 70% chance to hit”.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...