Scenario 7: Night in the Swamp

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 7: Night in the Swamp

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
lotsofphil

Re: Scenario Review: DM 7 - Night in the Swamp

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 7
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? I liked it a lot.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Maintaining one line while finishing the other.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 10
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No.
This is one of my favorite scenarios in Wesnoth. I really liked it. I can see how it would be quite tough with 3 stones.
Maybe have it end when the last stone is broken. I had to hit "next turn" and then it finished.
Another thing is maybe have a different graphic for a broken stone.
blue

Post by blue »

1. Mage
2. 6
3. Clear. I would add to the dialogue that a white mage can also break the undead summoning stones (although probably many people would guess it anwyay)
4. Very nice
5. None
6. 8
7. I 'd add more summoning stones castle tiles for recruiting and turns to make it a longer scenario :D
8. None
bobby

Post by bobby »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium, 1.8.0

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 5

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I like the lines when a mage or other unit (heavy infantry) move on top of the stones. :)
Most enjoyable scenario of the campaign so far.

None really. I had a few units close to leveling and some level 2 units so it was easy.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Have Lionel the General sent away? He made the fearless Heavy Infantry formidable.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Dieguitoarg

Post by Dieguitoarg »

Medium - 1.8

4 - Depending on whether you get melee or archer skeletons.

Clear

Fine

Having the right amount of units to beat the scenario and still have a good amount of gold for the next scenario.

8 - Very fun

I would have the pillars produce an even amount of skelentons... having the pillars spawn mostly melee skeletons make it too easy, while having it spawn archers make it way harder (if you wanna keep all the units alive that is)

No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
No
ScipioAfricanus

Post by ScipioAfricanus »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, version 1.8
7. Much easier if you take out the correct summoning stone.
Very. "Don't die." Pretty straightforward
Decent
None
8. I like survival scenarios, and this one is much easier and less frustrating than "The Valley of Death" or whatever it's called from HttT.
More summoning stones to make more bad guys.
Just dumb moves on my part.
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium.
Clear.
Very intresting!
None.
2. It's nothing more than xp farming. Just put units next to stones and farm XP.
Stronger units, more stones.
None.
N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 2
(3) Clear
(4) Fine
(5) No major issues. I went for breaking the stones, and finished with 1 turn spare.
(6) 6 - I like the variation of having no enemy leaders.
(7) -
(8) No
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1) Medium
(2) 3... Way too easy. since the whole Campaign is focused on Delfasor i recruited more mages than usual and had quite a few white mages at this point. So the whole "surviving" sceanario was reduced to a simple "walk with Delfador to the stone" scenario because i was able to kill the skeletons faster as they were respawning. And they didn't even do much damage because nearly everyone was melee and because of that dead before even landing ohne hit (well... deader than before...)
(3) Very clear
(4) Clear, but somewhat boring. We have to sleep, whoops, there are undead spawning stones, lets kill them. Maybe a bit background?
(5) getting across the swampy area. This was the only point in the scenario where i received damage because it was close enough for the opponents to actually attack me not the other way round because i was not able to move fast enough to hit them before they hit me
(6) 3... a bit boring... it is just for leveling up some units and does not contribute to the story
(7) Besides completely replacing it i think i would put in some surprises, maybe a character that helps out and returns later in the story?
(8) No
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

1 (except when I got really unlucky a few times)

Clear, though I would like it better if there was an optional objective – to bring Delfador to each stone.

Fine, although initially I wasn’t sure if Delfador needs to just stand near the pillars, or if he needs to stand on the pillar to deactivate it. Turned out it was the latter, so that complicated things a bit, but I still managed to do it.

Believe it or not until now I had leveled exactly ONE mage (and he leveled in the previous mission, too). So I recalled my White Mage, recruite two other mages, and sent Delfador towards the south stone. Lionel captured a village before joining Delfador. It took some luck, but level 2 Dalfador + White Mage + Lionel’s leadership was enough to annihilate the south Skeletons and destroy the stone while my Mages were engaged by the North Skeletons (and one of them barely survived). I should've recruited at least one HI, but I forgot I can, plus I wanted to train my mages.

7 – more fun than any of the previous scenarios (though that seems to be just me).

No changes – it’s great the way it is now (at least on this difficulty).

Delfador missed 3 out of 4 attacks -> Skeleton survived -> Skeleton killed Lionel despite the latter being in a forest (50% def) -> back to turn 6 -> Delfador hit 3 out of 3 attacks (a fourth was not needed) -> Lionel survived without any problems.

There were a few other occasions where my mages had horrible accuracy, such as my White Mage missing all three attacks, or Delfador missing 3 out of 4 attacks. I got annoyed to the point I went back to turn 8 a few times.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
alluton

Post by alluton »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? easiest
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) not very had to take few times again turns becose(i recruit only 2 shock trooper)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? they were very clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? it was interesting nice little different scenario
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? challenges keeping alive:D
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 10 surely
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? no changes
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? no
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better? Well not clear.

this is my real question i was going to use these genarators on other scenarios.
i have copied terrain file,utils and things in scenario file but waht does these number mean after {MEMOIRS_GENERATOR_SKELETON 18 3 12}
{MEMOIRS_GENERATOR_SKELETON 11 19 12} memoirs generator skeleton ? plz PM me for answers. Ps. i like the campaing and the scenario. And thank you for all help
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

MEMOIRS_GENERATOR_SKELETON is defined in generators.cfg (located in \Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3\data\campaigns\Delfadors_Memoirs\utils\ ) There you'll find everything you need to know (I think the code is pretty clear - I mean even I, with my limited WML knowledge, understand it...)
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.3; 205 starting gold

Clear.

I liked it. However, I think the dialog should include the line, "It's a trap!" near the start, because, you know, it seems like a trap. They should say something like, "This abandoned castle looks like a nice place to make camp and spend the night. Oh, no. Look. Undead raising stones. I saw one of these before. It's a trap!"

I made a mistake and lost my most experienced newly recruited Mage. Otherwise, it was easy. I have minimum gold for the next scenario, though. I hope that won't be a problem.

If you also had an undead leader recruiting Ghosts/Wraiths/Shadows, that would make it a lot more interesting, and give some purpose to the trap.

It would be nice if there were some bonus for destroying both stones. I don't know what, mind you, but the problem is that the optimal strategy now is to XP farm, keeping the stones instead of destroying them (though I didn't.) Why not just make the objective to destroy both stones? You'd need to increase the turn limit.

No.

Good. It says it's unlikely that the player will destroy both stones, except on easy, but I did it on hard.
Attachments
DM-Night_in_the_Swamp_replay.gz
(17.38 KiB) Downloaded 1219 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 216 starting gold

3, I destroyed both stones, first one on turn 3 and second on turn 9. With 2 white mages and a handful of HI, getting through the skeletons was pretty easy. Only hard part was getting over the river to the northern stone.

It's not explicit you can destroy the stones to win, but I think that's fine though, there is a big hint.

Fine.

Getting over river to NE.

As Maiklas says, there should be a bonus for destroying the stones and it should be a little harder to do so.

No.

A little commenting on what the arguments are for the skeleton generating macros would be nice.
Attachments
DM-Night_in_the_Swamp_replay.gz
(13.65 KiB) Downloaded 882 times
santosis

Re: Scenario 7: Night in the Swamp

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

5 - since I have a white mage, this was easy. 2 White mages would make it a joke.

Clear. Anyone with a brain should be able to figure out how to destroy the stones.

Solid.

None. I recruited two turns - one group to go north, and a group to hold the fort (a lvl 2 knight, a lvl 1 Heavy Guard, lvl 3 halberdier, and a lvl 2 archer.

I finished in round 11/13 with 101 gold and will carry 90 over to the next level.

9 - Very different.

Nice how it is, but the stone should churn out a lvl 2 if someone is standing next to it.

No.