Scenario 7: Night in the Swamp

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dsa

Re: Scenario 7: Night in the Swamp

Post by dsa »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hard, 1.9.3

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3, recalling one White Mage and recruiting two Heavy Infantryman was enough. I fought my way through to the southern stone and destroyed it. The remaining skeletons were no challenge, but just a good opportunity to level up a bit. If I had one more turn at my disposal, I could have destroyed the nothern stone too.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7, interesting, but too easy.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Add one more stone.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.8.4

1, it's really piece of cake, even with minimum gold. I suppose its purpose is to level up Delfador and a few mages/infantry.

Crystal

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It's not award winning material, but it fulfils its purpose.

Getting all my troops within a few xp before levelling up instead of levelling them :D

7. In spite of being easy, it's a nice change of pace.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
A liiiiitle more challenger? Perhaps an extra generator? By the way, I'd suggest another sound for the skeleton spawn event, either the magic-dark-big.ogg or the skeleton-big-die.ogg sound.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Is it possible to lose this scenario?
Linux. Space technology.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Challenging, 1.9.4 (351 gold)

Regardless of it not saying anything about Delfador (or any mage) being able to destroy the stones, Clear.

Good

None. I lost my white mage but gained another, and finished with a shock trooper :)

9: It was really fun, even though it was easy.

A third stone in the west.

Death of Lionel (2 skeletons got him)

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
There aren't that many comments.

(10) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
Nicely done.
Attachments
DM-Night_in_the_Swamp_replay.gz
(17.88 KiB) Downloaded 1067 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, 159 gp, no reloads

"3" to hold until the dawn w/o losses.
With the amount of gold I had I'd say it's "6" to destroy both stones. I did it one time, but realized it's better to grab the max experience instead, so replayed in xp-milking mode.

clear

good

none

"7", it's easy but unusual and not boring

good as is

restarted several times due to reckless plays while trying to destroy both stones.
Attachments
(19.95 KiB) Downloaded 799 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 3
Objectives: 100% clear
Storyline: I'm not sure exactly what relevance these stones are, perhaps it will be explained later. Also for me the dialogue didn't exactly make sense. I only had one stone, and when i destroyed it, he gave his little speech and then i had to press end turn. After that he said "well that's all of them" when there was only one to begin with.
Challenges: crossing the dang river.
Fun: 7
Changes: When delf aludes to getting himself over to the stone to make something happen, i was expecting to get some prize or trinket, instead he just kills it and i'm now thinking "well if i would have known that this just ends the scenario, i would have let a few more skeles spawn and just waited it out for some xp, because the early bonus gold isn't that great"
Reloads: I tried to get my white mage across the river before a wall of HIs could protect it, thinking it would last at least 1 turn of damage, but 2 skeletons took it out easy.
Fate is against me.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.10.3. I foolishly tried to do this with as few units as possible (saving gold) and still without destroying the pillars. Foolish because there is no point in saving gold here, with only 1 recalled healer I was under pressure towards the end, and was happy that dawn came. Levelled a hi and got the first silver mage here. Most convenient way is probably to destroy one stone and just level units on the other. Personally I like it, even on highest difficulty it is nice to have a somewhat easy scenario for a change.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)
100 gold

Clear.

No challenges.

Very short and very easy. I won't rate, might be a decent scenario if you have no high-level troops.

I expected a reward for deactivating both obelisks. But it just ended the scenario. Maybe one could add an item, nothing game breaking. A ring that increases movement by 1 or stuff like that.

No.
Attachments
(17.22 KiB) Downloaded 719 times
D-Wade

Re: Scenario Review: DM 7 - Night in the Swamp

Post by D-Wade »

1.10.7 - Normal

Clear.

Was interesting.

None. Only to give the majority of the XP to Delfador :D .

4 - Simple and somewhat lame XP farming.

More than one stone (even on normal) and sometimes better units than just your typical lvl.1 skeletons. I guess that it's somewhat harder on the other difficulty settings, but it is even way to easy for normal difficulty.

None.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
No challenges
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's too easy. It needs more skeleton-generating stones.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear

- Pretty interesting. I wonder what kind of stones these are and why there are undead rising from these?

- Trying to fight skeletons off. I only had two white mages and Delfador as useful units, while realizing too late I had heavy infantry in recruitment

- Give the backstory of these stones, when and who built them and why do they emit evil?

- None

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

- No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.14.7

Very clear. Go and wreck the stones with weird spells.

It was clear, but not very interesting.

None.

-

No.
Attachments
DM-Night in the Swamp replay.gz
(18.84 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

Difficult

Clear

Clear and interesting

Destroying stones fast so that there are few enemies fighting. Not losing veterans.

7. It's a fun and memorable scenario.

None.

Lose the game not but I reloaded a few times upon losing veterans.
Attachments
WD-Noc na bagnach powtórka.gz
(17.28 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:14 pm 1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.14.11, hardest: 'Great Mage' (difficult), no reloading during campaign; played the scenario several times
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:14 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6 (in comparison with the rest of the campaign)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:14 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
The "stone mechanics" are not properly explained. If I put a unit onto a stone does the stone still summon something? If the skeleton on the stone doesnt leave the stone - does the stone still summon something?
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:14 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Ok.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:14 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:14 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:14 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Give some reward for destroying the stones?
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:14 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:14 pm (9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
(Didnt look at the WML.)
Attachments
DM-Night in the Swamp replay.gz
(20.68 KiB) Downloaded 269 times