Scenario 6: Swamps of Illuven

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 6: Swamps of Illuven

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
lotsofphil

Re: Scenario Review: DM 6 - Swamps of Illuven

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 4
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? It was fine.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? None.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 7
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Slightly less favorable terrain in the middle island.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No.
I camped in the middle and slaughtered both sides. Only tough part was deciding whether to finish early or kill everyone.
I didn't bribe the other bandit.
blue

Post by blue »

1. Mage
2. 4
3. Clear
4. Fine
5. None
6. 5
7. More gold to the enemies and maybe have them recruiting stronger lvl units
8. None
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium.
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Nice - I liked idea of thiefs:)
Slowly advance through the swamps with a few troops.
9 - I love that kind of missions - struggle through swarms of enemies:)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Add some Mudcrawlers triggered when unit goes on certain hex. And of course comment from thiefs:) "We told you, you should pay". At the end, if one of the bandits left alive, he should scream typical threat "We will find you, stranger!".
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Famous Wesnoth-luck-engine:)
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well
commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(refusing to pay for protection)
(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 4 - I completed it, with losses, on the first attempt.
(3) Clear
(4) Clear, not hugely interesting as these guys aren't involved in the wider plot, but it works for 1 level.
(5) I came in with only one white mage, so my party heading north had to do so without support. The east enemy gets a lot of villages and so generates a lot of units, so there was a big fight for many turns in the center of the map and I was struggling to keep my position together at times.
(6) 5 - facing outlaws gives variety.
(7) Nothing comes to mind.
(8) No.
cph

Post by cph »

I played again, paying the protection fee.

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 6 - completed with a bit of save-loading.
(5) Having only 47 gold is... limiting. No healing or any mages for the first half, just a few raw recruit spearmen to back up Lionel in the fight in the centre.
(6) 6 - it's tricky, and the choice about whether to pay adds variety and seems well balanced.
(8) 2 reloads due to losing Lionel. He was the only decent unit I had in any of the fighting for the first day, and sometimes I would overreach a bit and the AI can spot that type of mistake. Avoidable mistakes though.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

2 – I didn’t pay, so I had plenty of gold for recalling units. I lost a Cavalryman near the end, but other than that no trouble at all. But if I had paid… probably would’ve been 8

Clear.

Fine, although it would be nice if Delfador (or anyone at all) would say something when Delfador finally reaches the signpost.

The chest with gold the bandits have taken from travelers was a nice touch

Forgetting that my objective was NOT to kill the enemies. I could’ve finished the scenario 2-3 turns earlier if I had not sent Delfador to help with the NW leader.

I think it is fine as it is now.

No, nothing.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.3; 256 starting gold

9. I hate when everyone else seems to have an easier time than I. But this scenario is definitely hard, gosh darn it. The enemy forces can slice through HI like butter. Like most others, I didn't pay for "protection."

Clear.

Good.

The enemy hits hard, especially at night. When I saw my gold going negative and the northeast forces were nearly eliminated, I decided to make a run for it, to get a gold bonus. Each turn I had to sacrifice a HI or two in rear guard delaying action. I lost all five HI by the end. Sniffle. I did get some nice promotions: two white mages, one red mage, level 3 Delfador, and a knight.

9. A lot of scenarios try for this - a running fight - but most degenerate into either a pure run or a pure fight. And of course the player has the option to sit and fight it out here. But the running fight was an option and made it interesting.

None.

Failed and restarted from turn 1.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Good. Dang, I see I could have gotten my gold a better way, by killing the northwest leader.
Attachments
DM-The_Swamps_of_Illuven_replay.gz
(23.42 KiB) Downloaded 990 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 236 starting gold

First run I had minimum gold (100) and it seemed pretty much impossible.

Second time, I replayed previous scenarios and arrived with 236 and found it not too tough - call it a 6. Finished on turn 16 with NW leader dead (gold retrieved) and NE leader all but dead.

Clear enough. Though I think the player deserved a hint as to the gold awaiting in the NW enemy camp.

Good. The offered deal is interesting, though I can't imagine it ever making sense.

Standard constraining terrain melee, nothing special.

Nothing comes to mind.

With 100 gold, many things. Nothing with 236 gold.

The whole offered deal could use a little more commenting. Otherwise it's fine.
Attachments
(23.9 KiB) Downloaded 945 times
santosis

Re: Scenario 6: Swamps of Illuven

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

7 / 5 - See 5 below

Make it to the sign, kill the NW rabbit for some free gold.

Solid.

My first time, I was too cautious. Although I didn't lose a troop, I ran out of time. The problem was that by moving straight north, I let the NE boss get too many villages and he was churning out 3 troops a round. Although none of my troops died, I couldn't chop them down fast enough.

Second time I sent my forces to the middle, then split them. I lost a lvl 2 archer, but killed both bosses and finished in 15/28 turns. I had 108 gold (first time, I was at -99 on turn 27), and will carry 356 gold to the next scenario.

8 - I like the challenge this campaign offers in terms of acing against the clock. It forces strategic risks.

Nice how it is.

Running out of turns.
dsa

Post by dsa »

Hard, 1.9.3

5, I declined to pay the gold, that meant my 250 gold against 300 gold of both enemies, so it was quite easy.

Clear

Good. Although paying the money is only a drawback in my opinion, the option to decide otherwise is a nice idea.

The poachers annoyed me the most, because of their high defense in swamp terrain.

A bit more gold for the enemies, maybe 30 for each.

No.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard (1.8.4)

4, but that's because I came with 250 gold. I still had to play carefully, but by the end all my units had reached level 2, while I took only minimal loses.

Crystal

The beginning is fine; some dialogue after you complete the objective would be nice.

No major challenges; however, time was an issue. If you push forward, you'll end up fighting in unfavourable terrain. If you choose to make a stand near your keep (which was what I did), you'll lose numerous turns. I had no trouble winning in time, but the carryover gold was barely above minimum (and that's only because I took the chest).

7. The map is very interesting, and I like this mix of opponents. The pay tribute option and the chest is also a nice addition.

A little event dialogue (win, opponent death, chest taken). Oh, and the pay option would be more feasible if the percentage given away is slightly smaller - say, 70%.

None. I didn't even had to use the save/reload cheat, even though I see my attacks were on the unlucky side.
Linux. Space technology.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Challenging, 1.9.4 (228 gold)

6: No protection branch, 9: Yes protection branch.

Clear but typically, you win when you kill all leaders.

Good. However, the rogue offered my protection for 182.4 gold??!

Deciding which way to send my one and only white mage.

8: I really like the idea at the beginning! You can take both guys with maxim gold, or just one with a little less money :D

If I chose 'Protection' I would have had to go up against the remaining leader with only 45 gold. I probably would have recalled a white mage, and a horseman who I would use to grab the villages in the north, but I still think it would be to hard with such little gold.

None

There are only two comments.

(10) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
It was well done!
Attachments
(24.22 KiB) Downloaded 795 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, 167 gp, no reloads

"6". I recruited/recalled a small pack of units, made a short stand in the middle, then crushed both enemies splitting my forces. No losses.

clear

nice

keeping everyone alive

very fun

as I get it, there is no sense in paying the gold. If it's intended then no changes required

restarted a few times due to losing a critical unit
Attachments
(28.21 KiB) Downloaded 855 times
frytvm

Post by frytvm »

(didn't give away the gold)
(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.6, hardest, 148 starting gp

Playing it properly - 8/9, I couldn't figure it out (probably need more gold)
Playing it my way - 3

Clear.

Fine.

There are a ton of units, and the enemy will get all of the villages so there is a steady stream of reinforcements too, so I pretty
much couldn't fight my way through.
Instead I ended up recruiting nothing but cavalrymen and making a mad dash for it, which actually
worked to my surprise (in part because blue was too busy village grabbing).

7 (although I really hate fighting bandits)

Make the option of giving away your money more viable. Perhaps make it easier to start with more money.

Total failure of my initial tactics.

(NA for 9)