Scenario 4: Leollyn

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dsa

Re: Scenario 4: Leollyn

Post by dsa »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hard, 1.9.3

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5, defending my army was actually no big problem. I overestimated the self-defending ability of Leollyn though, so he got killed. After reloading I helped him by sending a Spearman to the west, which distracted the enemy a bit.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Okay.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Protecting Leollyn.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The AI of Leollyn could behave better. The death of him was the result of a quite suicidal move. He moved far away from his castle in flat terrain, to attack a wolf and did not even kill it. Afterwards he was an easy prey for the wolves. He would have much better chances to survive, if he stayed in his keep.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yes, when Leollyn died, I had to reload and go back several turns.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.8.4

5. At first it looks like a nightmare defending against hordes of wolves and assassins and keeping an incompetent ally alive. But carefully using the terrain and the night/day cycle, plus helping your ally with 1 or 2 troops, is enough (although having a mage about to level up was extremely helpful). I was able to finish it within 9 turns,before I completely cleared the initial wave, when the enemy leader was left alone and I had a knight and a lancer capable of charging him.

They can't get any clearer

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
They're satisfactory

None, although I had to play very carefully

7. Yet another loyalists vs orcs scenario, but at least the map is good and facing numerous assassins is a nice change.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I see the ally tends to get suicidal, which can cause a silly defeat. It would be good if this can be fixed.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No (fortunately my ally's suicidal attacks worked out)
Linux. Space technology.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Challenging, 1.9.4 (202 gold)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
5: It was easier the second time because he didn't recruit many assassins.

It says his name. Clear.

"Then you have not heard...?" What? As I wright this, I've read the next scenario and there's nothing more about the mysterious news that I have never heard about :hmm:

"If you can distract those vile creatures, I'll organize a counter-attack." Uh... they're assassins, they've got poison. You kill them before they kill you :roll:

"I've told you, all of you have to be extra careful!" This should be corrected and made into "I've told you, be extra careful!"... actually, it should deleted altogether because he never said anything about being careful.

I was afraid Leollyn would get killed by some wolf riders but other than that, none.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
6: It was fun taking down assassins in the water :)

Get rid of the dialogue that make no sense.

Delfador died once and I restarted from the begging.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Fine

(10) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
Why are there Elven villages? This is suppose to be Wesnoth.
Attachments
DM-Leollyn_replay.gz
(23.77 KiB) Downloaded 1247 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, 166 gp, no reloads

"5"

clear

good

no major challenges

another map of the type I like, but 3 similar ones in a row - it might become boring for some players. I guess we are introduced to various orcish troops, this time - assassins. Also, we meet the mage, so in the end I guess it's good.

I like it as is

no
Attachments
DM-Leollyn_replay.gz
(27.21 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 5
Objectives 100% clear
Dialogue: Not sure, is this supposed to be the first scenario that i've seen assassins? I suppose that might be true chronologically but not gameplay-wise...
Challenges: I jumped the gun and accidentally sent three of my units across the river into a deathtrap. After that i made sure to keep everyone in a tightly knit group, letting the enemy come to me.
Fun: 7
Changes: None
Restarts: None
Fate is against me.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.10.3, 175 gold. It isn't easy. Leollyn can die if you play too passively, but if you jump too eager to the enemy you can get problems during the first night. The main problem is of course that you want to finish early (around turn 12) because of the following scenario where you can employ more gold usefully.

What worked for me after I engaged some wolves (Leollyn managed to cope with three wolves) with L2 and L1 archer and a horseman in the east (along the road) is to use a red mage (and delfador) as front line units against archers and assassins (they won't do ranged attacks then). Some spearmen + a swordman around backed up by a white mage. Finished turn 11 giving me 200+ gold for the next scenario. Delfador is L3 now.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)
100 gold (minimum)

7/10 Not as easy as it appeared at first glance.

Clear.

I spent the last mission xp-whoring and subsequently paid the price. Minimum gold is pretty challenging, 6 units means you can't heal and rotate. Those assassins are going nibble away at your troops ever so slowly. The solution was to recall two knights (despite the map being a giant forest). Nothing 's more satisfying than charge-stomping those pesky orc bastards into smithereens.

7/10

I think it's good the way it is.

Wrong unit composition cost me the game twice.
Attachments
DM-Leollyn.gz
(10.51 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
D-Wade

Re: Scenario Review: DM 4 - Leollyn

Post by D-Wade »

1.10.7 - Normal

6. - The poison can really hurt your troops, but other than that, there was no big problem.

Very clear.

The idea of protecting your ally was something different after the 1v1 of the previous missions. But it turned out to be a standard 1v1 battle, as the opponents units ignored the mage and went straight for my troops.

Trying to level up some troops (with mixed results).

6 - In the end, it was just a 1v1.

Don't know.

None.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, the courtesy dialog with Leollyn is worth a mention.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Poison
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's a fairly easy scenario, but I suppose it is good as it is because the campaign is long.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

I've just started to play this level, and I'm wondering how come there's no fog. I mean, it is a forest. Wouldn't playing against assassins be more interesting if you didn't see exactly where they are all the time? Just wondering.

Also, in all Wesnoth campaigns I always feel weird about how people shout at each others from the distance of a at least half a day's horse ride - it's everyone has really strong loudspeakers and they yell at each other :? ... this level is an example. I'm also reminded of that level with the Silver mage in An Orcish Incursion - also a "Hey stranger, can you help me break the siege by these pesky orcs?" "Sure thing, Wizard lady!" "Oy! We can _hear_ you people, you know! Orcs are not deaf!"
Last edited by revolting_peasant on July 21st, 2017, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

revolting_peasant wrote:Also, in all Wesnoth campaigns I always feel weird about how people shout at each others from the distance of a at least half a day's horse ride - it's everyone has really strong loudspeakers and they yell at each other :? ... this level is an example. I'm also reminded of that level with the Silver mage in An Orcish Incursion - also a "Hey stranger, can you help me break the siege by these pesky orcs?" "Sure thing, Wizard lady!" "Oy! We can _hear_ you people, you know! Orcs are not deaf!"
Didn't you know ? Every living being in Wesnoth is born with hyper amplified voice and hearing.From the lowliest peasant to the mightiest mages and liches, everyone has this power. Always made me wonder how the concept of stealth even works in wesnoth.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Crystal clear

- It was fine. It's interesting how you're supposed to protect Leollyn, but funny thing is... I never sent any help and Leollyn could deal with the orcs with ease!

- Trying to trample down the assassins who refused to get out of the forests

- None to think

- None

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

- No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.14.7

Very clear.

It was clear, but not very interesting.

Making sure that their first attack on me deals as little damage/poison as possible.

-

Getting most of my units poisoned at once.
Attachments
DM-Leollyn replay.gz
(22.01 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
ElvishMystical0

Post by ElvishMystical0 »

1.10, 1.12, and 1.14 all difficulty levels.

6 - relative to other scenarios.

Very clear.

It's good.

Two words - Orcish Assassins. I'm not sure what my least favourite unit to play against is, Vampire Bats or Orcish Assassins and their advancements. I know that they're vulnerable to blade and that they're a major strength of Orcs and this is necessary for balancing factions. But still..

They have 70% defence in forest and far too often for me in this scenario they behave like Elves and stick to forests and villages. Not only that, in this scenario, this scenario specifically, they also go after my Long Bowmen.

3. This is personal. I understand that they're just another unit, and I'm okay with one, maybe two or three Orcish Assassins, but several? This is something I just have to deal with.

Other than adding spiteful to the traits for Orcish Assassins nothing I can think of, and nothing specific to this scenario.

Yes - poison.

N/A
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

Difficult

Clear

Both clear and interesting

Avoiding getting poisoned at the first night.

7. The most fun of the first three opening scenarios.

Defending Leollyn should be more of a challenge. AI should focus on him rather than me. Add some orcs close to Leollyn's keep at the start. Make Leollyn and his units wounded.

No
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar