Scenario 4: Leollyn

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 4: Leollyn

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
lotsofphil

Re: Scenario Review: DM 4 - Leollyn

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 4
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? It was fine.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? None, really.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 6
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Can you make the orcs use the northern bridge?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No.

I just made a wall on the riverbank with a couple of white mages to back me up. The orcs obligingly fell into the grinder. If they spread out it would have been tougher.
Also, the ally (Leollyn) is meek but surprisingly strong.
I guess without 2 white mages it would have been quite a bit tougher...
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Easy
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 4
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Clear, not bad.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Ally was an idiot.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 3, but only because of the stupid ally.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Fix ally's AI.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No.

I made a nice wall at the river with the forces i had and lanced a couple assassins in the open and in the river with the two knights i had. It was going great and i was able to wipe out all the enemies around the river area the following morning without losing a man. Then i lost because the stupid ally never recruited and never used his leader to attack. He just sat in a village and let himself get gnawed to death by wolves after his two spearmen died. If he had held up his end and had at least protected himself i would have won easily.
blue

Post by blue »

1. Mage
2. 3
3. Crystal clear
4. Fine
5. None
6. 5
7. Maybe more gold to the enemy. Or less protection to the ally archmage to force the player to rush at the enemy
8. None
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

Neoskel wrote: I made a nice wall at the river with the forces i had and lanced a couple assassins in the open and in the river with the two knights i had. It was going great and i was able to wipe out all the enemies around the river area the following morning without losing a man. Then i lost because the stupid ally never recruited and never used his leader to attack. He just sat in a village and let himself get gnawed to death by wolves after his two spearmen died. If he had held up his end and had at least protected himself i would have won easily.
Yes, you are right. But it's not a bug, it's a feature. Delfador has to beat them alone. Leollyn is too old to fight, he is under attack and he is not able to safe himself. He could only recruit red mages "when all necessary battle preparations are done". So you must be quick. Making a line and waiting for assassins should not work. If it somehow works (all my tests of this behavior failed), AI should be improved.
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
Dieguitoarg

Post by Dieguitoarg »

Medium - 1.8

9 Without a healer, 4 with one. I like the fact that the ally survives long enough for you to finish it :)

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Ok

Controling the spread of poison

7 - Requires thinking about placement

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Given how a white mage is almost mandatory here, maybe one should be given to the player if he didn't bring one along.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better? No idea
ScipioAfricanus

Post by ScipioAfricanus »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, version 1.8
Very
Decent
None really.
7. At least a small variation on "kill the enemy," though not much
Maybe give the enemy a couple of slayers to up the difficulty. I used all level 1s (except Delfador who was a 2) and had no problems beating it.
No
Ilanin

Post by Ilanin »

Mage (Medium) 1.8

4 or so. The obvious tactic works :)
Crystal.

The main problem with this scenario is that we've been setting up Chekov's gun for some time and never really get around to firing it. For some time the player has been invited to wonder why there are Orcs this far south...and this should be the payoff but it never really comes up here or in the next scenario. Is it a deep strike to assassinate Leollyn and/or Garard? That would explain why the leader is an Assassin, but he never says anything like that. Grrr.

There's no real challenges here, maybe if I didn't have White Mages...

6 or so, nothing special, but nice riverbank to defend then crush the enemy after they've exhausted their main force.

Maybe make it a little less straightforward? Move the river a bit closer to the orcs so you have to fight to secure your bank of it? Let the orcs recruit Nagas? Add some neutral sea monster thing in the river? Currently it's all a bit too obvious.

No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

Yeah, it's good. And as for #TODO I dont like that dialogue - yeah, I agree with you, it is a bit flat. Maybe a warning about marksmanship? "Beware, the forests are no cover against the poisons of these orcs. Their knives fly as true as any elven arrow".
A wose by any other name would crush your feet
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium
4. Very easy.
Very clear. Leollyn must not die.
Nice. I like the idea of protecting Leollyn. Something diffrent then deatmatch:) But the Ork assasin could have some motivation/extra line. I don't know, maybe "I was sent here, old man, by far more powerful than you. Time to rest in peace."
Level as much units as I can in 24 turns:)
7 - I really enjoyed.
Add dilogues to Ork assasin! And some extra assasins, hidden at the begining of the scenario.
None.
N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 4
(3) Clear
(4) Okay
(5) The orcs chew through your units fast during that first night; I could barely put together a defensive line at second watch. I came in with just one white mage, not really enough with so much action and assassins. But, with losses, I completed it on the second attempt.

(6) 6
(7) Some way to involve the ally a bit more - I had nothing to spare to help him, but fortunately he was never seriously threatened.
(8) I abandoned the first attempt as I sent too many units north and not enough west, so was going to be overwhelmed quickly.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hardest; 1.8.0

Came in with 234 gold, 1 Knight, 1 Swordsman, an almost leveled mage, and a mage, spearman, horseman, and bowman halfway.

4- Got it first try, but it was a little trickier due to the number of units the enemy could bring.

Very clear

(4)
How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Acceptable. Again, it advanced the main plotline, which was its only purpose.

I liked the dialogue when the assassins first attack, but am not sure what I think of Leollyn's "lecturing" when a unit first dies. I might remove that bit.

(5)
What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The numbers involved. Also, I had some poor luck this scenario (my statistics bear me out on this).

Initially I moved up to the river, but it was day and the orcs didn't bite. They lined up to where they could jump in the river if they wanted to, but no further. So I just backed up. The first night turn he jumped into the river and his first two of seven assassins were eaten, allowing me to level a White Mage. I then plopped a spearman into the river, and all their assassins jumped him, saving me a round of poison. Though the dialogue when the assassins first attack made me feel a little guilty (very nice touch!).

The next rounds I had some very poor luck fighting his guys in the river. My horseman kept missing, and I was unable to kill off his assassins as fast as I would have liked. A dumb stunt lost me a bowman as well (I could have withdrawn him, but tried to get two hits on a river assassin, failing). However, by dawn I had a horseman coming round the bridge to flank them. He plopped into a village and drew a lot of their fire, allowing me to cross the river.

Eventually his leader came out to poison one of my knights, and it was easy for Delfador + a white mage to jump him.

Unlike some other accounts here, the AI never went after my ally very strongly. A few wolf riders and one assassin was it. Also, Leollyn fried them.

8- A nice application of terrain fights, keeping an eye on your ally, and poison tactics.

None that I can think of.

No.

(9)
If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Yay for pretty and noticeable comments!
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

5 – at first it seemed pretty hard due to the large number of enemies and my ally’s lack of any gold, but it turned out to be not as bad as I feared… on this difficulty, at least

Clear, except: How, exactly, am I supposed to distract the enemy? By simply attacking them with my units, or by approaching them with my leader?

Okay, I’m confused. At the start my ally said “Then you have not heard... but there will be time enough for talking.” I have not heard… what? Nothing more is said about this – not even at the end of the scenario or in the next one. If it is about the rocs in the south, then the King himself has not heard about it either, so how is Delfador supposed to have heard about it? If that’s not it – I have no idea. This left me confused.

Somehow I didn’t lose any units (though several were almost dead by the end), so I can’t comment on what my ally says if I lose a unit.

Bad Luck. Just one example:
My ally’s spearmen attack a Wolf Rider just outside the keep. They miss ALL of their attacks (that’s six misses against an opponent with 40% defense).

Also poison – since I had no White Mages (Delfador is my only leveled mage) I had to rely on villages.

4 – I’m really not a fan of scenarios where I have to protect a weak ally. Especially since I have no way to reach my ally before the enemy does, and with enough bad luck 3 Wolf Riders could kill him…

Let my ally start with the two nearest villages as his own instead of with no villages. The way it is now:
My ally has TWO spearmen and TWO villages close to his location. So what does he do? He sends the Spearmen to capture the villages? NO! The Spearmen just stand around in his castle while he personally goes to capture first the north village and then the other one. Talk about stupidity! Why isn’t he using the Spearmen? Yes, yes, it’s because the Spearmen have special orders (ai_special=guardian). Still, they should be allowed to capture the two villages and go back to their original positions.

Or, as I said, just let my ally start with both villages flagged.

No, despite my horrible (at times) luck.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.3; starting gold 244

Clear, but it's hard to know whether the ally would need help surviving.

Needs work.

"Then you have not heard... but there will be time enough for talking."
=>
I second the complaint in a previous review that the Mage never says anything more about this. Is the Mage senile?

"If you can distract those vile creatures, I will try to organize a counterattack."
=> I've played enough campaigns to know to ignore that, but it certainly could be deceptive for inexperienced players. Maybe that's intended.

"I've told you, all of you have to be extra careful!"
=> This is a run-on sentence, but more importantly, he never warned us to be careful.

Getting all my forces poisoned with no white mage and just one village near the front line is a huge challenge. After a failure when my main front collapsed but two horsemen got to the leader, I decided to go with leader assassination using more horsemen. That did the trick. I would have gotten off with maybe no losses, except the leader survived the first assassination attempt.

9. It's different and challenging.

The leader needs to recruit a few more wolves to block assassination attempts and to flank the player and pick off poisoned troops fleeing from the front line.

Lost and restarted from turn 1.

Good.
Attachments
DM-Leollyn_replay.gz
(19.26 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, hard, 117 starting gold

8, there were some tough moments holding the river and I had to fall back at one point.

Clear.

"I'll launch a counterattack" - when I played Leollyn did end up pushing up and killing the enemy leader. Nothing I wouldn't have done myself in a turn. I agree, those still naive about the AI may be taken in by this.

First, same issue Joram ran into: I fortified my side of the ford and then the enemy was too timid to attack. I had to shift my forces around to bait him in.

Also, I sent my horsemen around north with thoughts of doing an assassination if the opportunity arose. This was a mistake as if I wasn't careful, they could quickly get surrounded and killed.

Nothing comes to mind.

My stupidity with my horsemen.

Good.

Edited to add: I replayed to this point after finishing the first time and carrying over minimum gold to the next scenario (swamp), which seems to be woefully inadequate. Second time I had two white mages and sent a more substantial force of two knights and a white mage to the north. I was able to kill the leader on turn 9 when he ran out to and attacked. Good thing too, since Lionel was close to being killed.
Attachments
DM-Leollyn_replay.gz
Second time to finish early.
(18.06 KiB) Downloaded 874 times
DM-Leollyn_replay.gz
(23.46 KiB) Downloaded 970 times
santosis

Re: Scenario 4: Leollyn

Post by santosis »

Medium, 1.8.5

4 - I'm assuming that the difficulty level will jump up pretty soon, as the previous two scenarios have been leveling parties.

Kill yes another jerkface before he kills the old guy.

Solid.

None, really. The orcs were silly enough to try and cross the river. I formed a line against the shore, and sent a knight north to hold the bridge.

I finished in turn 15/24 with -7 gold; time wasn't the issue it was in the first two scenarios. I will carry only 152 gold over to the next scenario.

7 - The stomp-fest is getting repetitive.

Give players a one turn keep and make it a race to get to the ally's castle.

Not that I remember.