Scenario 1: Overture

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 1: Overture

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
lotsofphil

Re: Scenario Review: DM 1 - Overture

Post by lotsofphil »

Three suggestions:

1. Where it says "two things stand between that apprentice and the rank of mage," I think it sounds better to use "an apprentice" or "the apprentice." "That" indicates a specific apprentice and, from the context, there is none.

2. Having all 4 oracles say "it is well" is too much. Maybe have first oracle say "it is well" then "all oracles" repeat. Or just have them all say it together.

3. Right after the oracles say "it is well" there is a typo. It says "Now. go forth!". The period should be a comma.
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

One other thing I noticed is that the oracles call him 'Delfafador', maybe oracles stammer. I would have three oracles or have the fourth predict that he'll be called 'The Great'. as if that wasn't obvious anyway :roll:
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
cph

Post by cph »

(4) Very good. It's a good slow reveal of Delfador at the start of his journey. Having his name in the campaign name is a bit of a spoiler, but it adds to the anticipation too.
(7) No.
(8) No :)
Arnaudus

Post by Arnaudus »

Medium
NA
NA
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Cool.
NA
6. Slightly too long, when one starts a campaign, it is to play as soon as possible.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Shorten it a bit. Reduce the number of oracles to 3.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
NA
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
NA
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1) Easy, Medium
(2) N/A
(3) N/A
(4) Very clear
(5) N/A
(6) A bit long and repetitive
(7) I can't quite decide if the "thorum restro targa thorum" chant of the oracles is ingenious or silly, since this is the chant the orcish shamans do in Warcraft when clicking on the temple. Also i think it would be better if there are just 3 oracles, since two of them give the same syllable of the name
(8) N/A
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hard, 1.8

10. It was so difficult to leave it! I thought it very well done. More campaigns need some scenarios that don't worry about brevity and just kick back and slather on some atmosphere.

I don't recall being given any.

Very well done. Don't believe anyone who says it is too long! I would perhaps reorder it slightly to have the third oracle go ahead with the third syllable, and have the fourth breath the power of the bright Gods into the entire name... the name of Delfador! (instead of having the power of the bright gods breathed into only the second one).

Regarding a suggestion above that you have one oracle say "It is well", then "all others repeat", I say PLEASE NO! It would spoil the atmosphere to suddenly insert a "narrator" into the middle of it. Also, it allowed me to compare the portraits again.

Clicking the next button.

10. Great opening. Great music to go along with it as well. (parts of it remind me of Batman Begins; that's a good thing, btw!)

Perhaps the change I mentioned regarding the dialogue to clear up the matter of repeating the second syllable.

NA

Clear enough.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

Gerion wrote:(7) I can't quite decide if the "thorum restro targa thorum" chant of the oracles is ingenious or silly, since this is the chant the orcish shamans do in Warcraft when clicking on the temple.
GREAT! You have noticed it!
The Warcraft was the first fantasy strategy I've met with.
Gerion wrote:Also i think it would be better if there are just 3 oracles, since two of them give the same syllable of the name
The number of oracles is based on these:
a) four base elementals - fire, water, wind and earth
b) two labels: FAmous mage and FAther of the peace . And I had to find two other labels, one for DEL (DELegate of light in the darkness) and one for DOR(I cannot not remember exactly, but it was based on ORc slayer).

After the last rewrite the origin of syllables of his name was removed, so currently the number could be decreased to 3.
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

tapik wrote:
Gerion wrote:(7) I can't quite decide if the "thorum restro targa thorum" chant of the oracles is ingenious or silly, since this is the chant the orcish shamans do in Warcraft when clicking on the temple.
GREAT! You have noticed it!
The Warcraft was the first fantasy strategy I've met with.
Mine too :mrgreen:
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Very nice start. I really enjoyed the story. And a non-combat scenario is certainly an unusually way to begin a campaign.

Fun - 10.
Changes required - as has been suggested the first three oracles each give a syllable, and have the last one have breath the power of the bright Gods into the entire name. Apart from that - NONE.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Hated it. Sorry, but I did. I almost gave up on the campaign after seeing how it started, which would have been too bad as it seems to be an excellent campaign so far. I enjoy having some story to make a campaign more interesting, but I'm more interested in playing the game. This much exposition before I've even had a chance to play the characters and get invested in them doesn't suck me in--in fact, it puts me off. It was an interesting idea, and I can see why others might like it, but I absolutely did not. Just to let you know.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
StDrake

Re: Scenario 1: Overture

Post by StDrake »

similar reaction to my predecessor, but not due to volume, but rather to formatting:
-the introduction is too split apart, having a new intro part open up for just one or two words is sometimes frustrating, the whole intro could easily be shown in one-two slides
-repeating that second syllable of his name is rather silly indeed, it might be a better idea if one of the oracles mentionned only the "the great" part, but did not agree to speak up a syllable
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging 1.9.4

1: No skill involved

I didn't see them

Excellent! But (IMO) the fafa thing is a big issue, how about the 3rd and 4th orcals switch messages, and then the 4th orcal could say "Your name is complete you will not be given a fourth syllable." Or something like that.

Also, I thought the opening eyes was strangely done, It should be replaced with just a "flash white".

10: Its the best talk only scenario ever :D

I would make the changes I suggested.

Of course not :roll:

There's not much to comment on

# AND MY OWN PERSONAL QUESTION #
(10) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
It's great!
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Went on too long and wasn't too exciting. Could do with trimming
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Pretty good, gives some background and what not. The only confusing thing is when delfador opens his eyes twice... i don't get the action going on here. Is he opening then, closing them, then opening again? Is he opening once and then just getting wider? Are the two 'O's in his speech supposed to be an emoticon of his eyes?
Fate is against me.