17 - Breaking the Siege

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rmj

17 - Breaking the Siege

Post by rmj »

1. 1.9.3 Normal

2. 6, once you know what's going on.

3. Clear

4. Dialog is ok

5. Getting units to the elve in the north in time

6. Those level three wolves coming out of the fog just when you're ready to kill the orc leader was unfair.

Note: not sure that it was this level, but there was an error message displayed at the top saying "debug_message" not recognized.
rmj
taptap

Re: V 1.9/1.10 - 17 - Breaking the Siege

Post by taptap »

Easy scenario (with the snowless forest that is as you have an overwhelming mobility advantage) the only challenge being the surprise to the end (restarted upon losing sylph due to surprise). Surprises like this don't add to scenarios, well surprise on the first try.

I believe it would be a better way to put some snowmen or sth. different to the same end. Something that looks a little suspicious right away. It gives some foreshadowing, making the whole thing much more enjoyable.

I would make the AI recruit more wolves (including pillagers) to offset the tremendous mobility advantage of the player a little.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
vicente

Post by vicente »

In 1.10.2, the forest is covered with snow as well. So you really need to have 4 Sylphs to rescue the ally leader.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
easy 1.10.2
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
I'm not quite sure yet because i lost so early.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
OK
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Well i send some troops in 3 directions to take on each of the enemies and lighten the load on my ally. I send elves to the forest, drawves up the mountains on the east, and a mix of the two to the nearby enemy to the west. My dwarf squad slowly scaled the mountains and didn't run into a single enemy. My elf squad started up the center forest and ran into moderate opposition, which required some strategic regrouping on villages for a fight, and my mixed group heading left fought it out in the snow with the orcs and pushed into their base, just about to take it. Then suddenly, on the 12th turn, i randomly lost because my ally had been killed. I was nowhere near my ally. The snow bogged me down so much, i could not have made it halfway there before they died. I assumed since it was a snow level, that my ally could have held out for a little longer to at least let me get over there. Whats the deal?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
N/A, i lost too early to really find out.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Maybe you could tell me that those mountains on the east are not there to put dwarves in, because nothing actually goes over there. Also give me enough time to actually make it to my ally's castle before they die, this was like WTF. Either that, or make a quicker way to get over there, instead of crawling through the snow.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yes, my ally died as mentioned in 5.

That being said, i will now try the scenario a second time, now that i know what's going down, to see if i fare a little better. Now that i know where i need to be, I will modify my strategy as such: I'll be sending NO units up the mountains, using the extra money to send more units in the other 2 directions instead. I will build NO units that do not have a movement of at least 5, to try to actually get to my ally before they die. If both of these modifications to my strategy do not work, i will promptly say "[censored] it." 8)

Attachment related, it's me failing.
Attachments
LoW-Breaking_the_Siege-Auto-Save12.gz
(118.11 KiB) Downloaded 963 times
Fate is against me.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Okay, really? What the heck! :annoyed:

I played it again and it went awry again!

I changed my tactic, sending the majority of my forces as an elf group up into the forest, with a smaller mixed group going west to kill or at least stall the leader down there. I barely made it in time with Cleo to help out my ally while the rest of my forces played catch-up. I kept trying to position Cleo to not only attack orcs but heal the allied leader as well, only he kept deliberately running away and not getting healed. This was when i first noticed how suicidal he was. He would often run back and forth from his keep to recruit a unit, and then go to rejoin the fight even at low hitpoints. There was no real danger, however, as long as he was near the base and i could cover some of his flanks, minimizing the damage done to him. The bulk of my forces arrived, and i started pushing out east and west against the two orcish bases. Things were going alright, and i was recruiting units from my ally's base. I guess he was ticked off that i was using his castle, (even though i was on it for 1 turn and gave him ample opportunity to use it too, i even left him some villages for income), that he decided to just run away. I'm not even joking, he just up and left heading south without any body guards or protection. He left my line of sight and i have no idea what happened after that, or why he couldn't have just stayed, because we were winning. Then, without warning, it suddenly said he died and i lost. I didn't even know where he was or what he was doing! This infuriates me to no end! WHY ME?

(Attachment related, it shows proof of his suicidal tenancies)

I am ready to say "[censored] it." 8)
Attachments
LoW-Breaking_the_Siege-Auto-Save26.gz
(124.99 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
Fate is against me.
DanChem

Post by DanChem »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy. (1.10.2)
5 (As I played). 7 (Playing with preparation for "Costly revenge").
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, medium interested.
Finishing quickly to get lots of gold, not losing to many units anymore. (I lost more than enough in human alliance). Well despite that I unexpectedly lost an ancient wose at full health against that "reserve". Also, i might have to replay this one. Because looking at the restrictions on playing "Costly Revenge", I am in extreme trouble with my Wose-based troop. (Which is completely unusable in Costly Revenge). Well I thought of my problems earlier, when I looked at my one sided units, but now it is definite.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It is good as it is.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
LoW-Breaking_the_Siege_replay.gz
Replay - Wose based fight
(63.42 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
letsdance

Post by letsdance »

Medium. (1.10.6)

9 if you aren't prepared (which was the case)

Clear. With the exception that i didn't know my ally would die very quickly.

Clear.

beating it before time runs out. this is the first scenario where this happens, and the reason is that i don't have enough fast units to conquer anything with them alone. so far i used them only as support. i can only save the enemy leader if i ask him to come to my start position, which means there's no one in middle to hold of the enemies for a while. then, being only able to travel 2 hexes each round, i can't reach the northern bosses in time.

3. i hate the snow. i don't like that you need fast units.

increase the turn limit to 40 (i'm actually going to do that before i continue). i beat the enemy, but i couldn't arrive at the northern bosses before round 37 (and that was just a calculation after killing the first boss in south, enemies would have probably slowed me down). that's frustrating, and there's no need to have such a tight turn limit for a scenario that doesn't need haste, storywise. there's one more point, that is the same in the other scenario that uses this map: it's a bit frustrating that there are so few villages in my start area. i would prefer to move some villages from far away to my starting place, so i don't have to have negative income for most of the time.

enemy leader got killed and i had no chance to arrive at him. and the reinforcements before i knew about them (but i like them, even though i had to reload).
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, and gold? Hard, 1.11.15, 100 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 8. It's harder than under 1.8, because we have no armada of Shydes now.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? The biggest problem is the direwolf surprise. I think I got lucky to survive.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 8, I like it, because of the small skirmishes - a change from big battles lines.
(7) Changes? I suggest one less Direwolf Rider.
(8) Restarts? No, and no save-reloads here or at any time previous in the campaign.
Attachments
(146.09 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
gotnosylphs

Post by gotnosylphs »

normal, version 1.10

I'd say 10 sylphs out of 10.

Quite clear. Could add lack of a sylph as a loss condition just to be perfectly clear.

Ok. Sylphs could be mentioned in the dialogue, like: "Haha! Attack my sylphs, those orcs will never know what hit them!" or: "Oh no, we have no sylphs, we are surely doomed!"

I failed to find sylphs on my recall list.

Would be funny if the orcs taunted the player for not having any sylphs.

Lack of sylphs. Restarting doesn't seem to help.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Original post (version 1.10.4)
Spoiler:
(1) Level and version? Hard, 1.12.4, 100 starting gold (min)
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 5, very easy with sylphs
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Not much, the challenge comes from leveling the sylphs in the previous scenarios.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 5
(7) Changes? Seems fine as is. Now that you have a loyal sylph and two loyal shydes the over reliance on flying units isn't a problem anymore.
(8) Restarts? None.
Finished turn 18/32
Attachments
wesnoth 1.12.4 / hard
(105.93 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
Last edited by Inky on September 19th, 2015, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Violet-n-red

Post by Violet-n-red »

1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
normal, 1.12.2
very clear.
final dialogue could've been a bit extended. also, what army? i haven't noticed any kind of army increase in next scenario.
scouting, baiting, attacking and covering at the same time with two small squads.
give us ally's vision when we discover any of his units. i had no idea what was going on and how well my ally was doing.
no

i completed scenario by hiring dwarvish guards and send ing all dwarves to the north, while filling remaining one or two camp hexes with marksmen and moving all elves to the east. both squads encountered soem resistance on the way, dwarvish squad managed to defeat two smal lwaves of orcish invaders, but had to take on allied village for themselves, because their leader was poisoned and was not in a condition to fight. elvish squad consisted mostly of 3lvl units, three of which were highly maneuverable and were able to scout and bait out enemy units. this party managed to sclear out orcish camp sooner than another one could even see enemy camp. first time i saw an ally was when one of his archers was heading to nearby village which was occupied by my dwarvish lord not long ago. second time was when i got to the second orc camp in the east and there i've seen elves assaulting orcish encampment. assault was weak and already worn out, so my help was relly needed. during that, dwarvish forces made it to the enemy camp and were successfully beating everything the last orcish leader could throw at them int othe ground with their hammers, axes and shields. berserker had some fun too chopping hostile crossbowmen into pieces - that was his compensation for the last battle he tried to take part in, but could not because everything was dying too fast for him to get and take a bite off. last note : i was trying to both complete this mission as fast as possible an get as many non-allied villages on my way as possible. still, that was not nearly enough for the next scenario :c
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.12.5, medium.

5, it was moderate difficulty.

Clear.

All good.

Nothing major, the only frustrating thing was how slowly some units move over snow.

6. The only thing that really stands out is the map which is beautiful (especially the elvish castle and great trees which add some vivid green).

Nothing comes to mind.

Strategy: Recalled a fast ranger, scout, an outrider and 2 more sylphs and shydes; I haven't used up all of my gold as that should suffice; half of the army (including dwarves) will go west, others north. Sylphs will shred enemy units (priority being units with poison) and the few lower lvl units I have will try to get some xp (to that end, some enemies are left with low hp rather than being killed). Emphasis on gathering villages and quickly defeating enemies for good carryover

Turn 8, Scout->Rider, and a sylph is sent to attack the SW leader, triggering the wolves so she retreats instead. Turn 10, SW leader killed. Turn 11, NE leader killed. Cleodil had 5xp to advance so I didn't retreat her from battle and I almost lost her there. Fortunately, she survived and AMLAd. Turn 12, Rider->Outrider. Turn 13, Ranger->Avenger. Most enemies are killed so I move to gather the remaining villages as efficiently as I can. Turn 15, NW leader reached and slowed. He gets killed the next turn, just after I finish gathering the villages.

Stats: 200 start gold, 16/36 turns, 245 end gold, 39/39 villages, 20 units, 41 income, 0 recruits, 7 recalls, 3 advancements, 0 losses, 39 kills, +1% dmg dealt, -3% dmg received.
In the end I got an amazing 852 carryover.
Attachments
(106.32 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

No form for this scenario, so I copied the one for scenario 16 and changed the name and number:
Content Feedback wrote:The Legend of Wesmere, scenario 17 - Breaking the Siege:

Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
7 - But I should really say 9 because on hard your elvish ally gets himself killed so easily. Also, on hard the time is very tight.
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
-Inevitably, you end the scenario Human Alliance in deep negative gold, and the scenario The Chief must die provides you with no gold either. So, you're bound to start this scenario with the minimum gold.
-Also, Kalenz is level 2 now - it's very unlikely to have him levelled up to level 3 in the single scenario The Chief must die.
-Also, some of your loyal units are so slow they are of no use. The dwarf Oluf (speed 4) gets to no battle on time. Anduilas (speed 5) hardly gets to fight. You need fast units for this scenario.
I remember when I played this scenario on easy and medium, I chose to defeat the southwestern orc leader before advancing north. On hard, this is no longer a choice. The elvish ally gets himself killed so quickly, you have to literally run to him in order to avoid the orcs killing him and make you lose. You end up recruiting level-1 elvish riders rather than recalling level-3 units. Your units are so slow in the snow!
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Slowness in the snow is no fun. Also, the time to save the elvish ally is too tight on hard - get more gold for him so he survives a bit more.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
-
Hestelvar

Re: 17 - Breaking the Siege

Post by Hestelvar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Solider (Easy)
Starting Gold 300
4 or 5. Straightforward except for the Direwolf ambush.
Defeat all enemy leaders & save your ally. Hard to misinterpret!
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Minimal dialogue - it serves its purpose.
Trudging through snow is slow.
5. 6+ If you avoid the trap.
(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make the orc reinforcement spawn at a distance so the player has a chance to regroup. As it is now a scout crossing the frozen stream in the wrong place will find itself effectively surrounded by Direwolves without any warning!
Restarted after the Direwolf ambush.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/a
Remarks:
I found the auto-recalled dwarves all but useless in this scenario.
Attachments
LoW - Breaking the Siege replay.bz2
(45.3 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: 17 - Breaking the Siege

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.3, High Lord (Challenging)

4, I have enough veterans.

Clear.

Tbh, there wasn't much.

Getting to the southern orcish leader.

4, lots of snow.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
LoW-Breaking the Siege replay 20201103-131343.gz
(82.96 KiB) Downloaded 281 times