04 - The Elvish Treasury

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

04 - The Elvish Treasury

Post by Content Feedback »

Post us a review of The Legend of Wesmere's Elvish Treasury scenario by answering the following questions:

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Reval

Re: V1.9/1.10 SP - Scenario Review: LoW 4 - The Elvish Treas

Post by Reval »

Bug report:
After "Ka’lian under Attack" (in which the orc slayer was pretty quick killed, because he didn't move), "Elvish Treasury" is not playable because the AI controls ALL units while no user imput is possilbe. I attached the last savegame from "Ka’lian under Attack" to check.
Attachments
DLVW-Ka’lian_under_Attack_Runde_18a.gz
(77.96 KiB) Downloaded 839 times
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Reval wrote:Bug report:
After "Ka’lian under Attack" (in which the orc slayer was pretty quick killed, because he didn't move), "Elvish Treasury" is not playable because the AI controls ALL units while no user imput is possilbe. I attached the last savegame from "Ka’lian under Attack" to check.
Thank you for the bug report, it's fixed now in svn trunk.
friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

fabi wrote: Thank you for the bug report, it's fixed now in svn trunk.
Great. Thanks for fixing this.

When will this be released? The release date of BfW 1.9.2 was Nov 7 and I'm still getting this problem.

Alternatively, can I download just this scenario file from trunk somehow?

btw, the assassin was moving in my version, and I was unable to kill him early on hard. Still, not much of a problem to win scenario 3 after Kalenz arrived because the Orcs were somehow clustering in the northwest and not really giving me a hard time.

Thanks for this great and original campaign!
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

friar tuck wrote:
fabi wrote: Thank you for the bug report, it's fixed now in svn trunk.
Great. Thanks for fixing this.

When will this be released? The release date of BfW 1.9.2 was Nov 7 and I'm still getting this problem.

Alternatively, can I download just this scenario file from trunk somehow?

btw, the assassin was moving in my version, and I was unable to kill him early on hard. Still, not much of a problem to win scenario 3 after Kalenz arrived because the Orcs were somehow clustering in the northwest and not really giving me a hard time.

Thanks for this great and original campaign!
The bugfix was commited before the release, I can't explain why you still get the error.
Did you load from a prestart savegame/previous scenario or from a save during the scenario?
If you did the later the wml which is getting used is still the old version.

The bug wasn't in the scenario itself but in a file providing macros for the campaign.
It can be downloaded from:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/w ... sion=47462

But I am quite confident that the file equals the one of your installation.
friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

fabi wrote: The bugfix was commited before the release, I can't explain why you still get the error.
Did you load from a prestart savegame/previous scenario or from a save during the scenario?
If you did the later the wml which is getting used is still the old version.
I certainly started the campaign after installing 1.9.2.

I'm attaching a save file, maybe you can see something there.

There are further oddities, for instance Kalenz and Landar are both a different advancement type than they used to be in the previous scenario.

Somehow this level seems like watching a replay made by someone else...

During playing, lots of messages are displayed in the terminal. If it would help I can paste them here.

Btw, for a complicated campaign like this one, it would be nice to have an "extended startup message" telling who you are controlling, who can be recalled and recruited, whose gold you're using etc. Some messages are being displayed already, but they are sometimes vague (your recall list has changed or somesuch).

There are different "threads of continuity", where units or gold are "transported" from one scenario to a later one, and it would be nice to have more information about the current position in this state space.
Attachments
DLVW-Die_elfische_Schatzkammer.gz
The save which triggers the error under 1.9.2.
(15.02 KiB) Downloaded 800 times
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Please try to replace the scenario file itself:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trun ... iew=markup

I have fixed something that did not make it into 1.9.2.
Maybe that solves your problem.
friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

fabi wrote:Please try to replace the scenario file itself:

I don't really have that file, but instead a differently named one:

Code: Select all

wesnoth-1.9.2/data/campaigns/Legend_of_Wesmere/scenarios/04_Elvish_Treasury.cfg
Can I just copy the file you referred to under the different name from my version?
deathmothon

Post by deathmothon »

I just ran into this problem on a new 1.9.2 install. Is there a way to fix it without wating for the next patch and starting over?
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Use fabi's link.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

friar tuck wrote:

I don't really have that file, but instead a differently named one:

Code: Select all

wesnoth-1.9.2/data/campaigns/Legend_of_Wesmere/scenarios/04_Elvish_Treasury.cfg
Can I just copy the file you referred to under the different name from my version?
No, overwrite the file, you must not have 2 files containing the same scenarios.
Then open the file and change the scenario's "id=04_The_Elvish_Treasury" to "id=04_Elvish_Treasury"
and also adjust the "next_scenario=05_The_Saurian_Treasury" to "next_scenario=05_Saurian_Treasury".
deathmothon

Post by deathmothon »

friar tuck wrote:
I get a "webpage cannot be found" with that link above.

*edit* Ahh, I went into the scenarios part and pulled this.

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/w ... sion=47607

Should I use that?

*edit2* I grabbed scenario 04 and 05 and deleted "_the" in the filename and everywhere in the code but it didn't work. I'm not really an expert at this, so any help would be apreciated.
taptap

Re: V1.9/1.10 - 04 - The Elvish Treasury

Post by taptap »

Where is my loyal marshall gone in the next scenario?
Did I miss some dialog? Or is this an error due to the high number of loyals / different recall lists etc.
Your loyal Marshall, is it Andulias from the first scenario?
Is he just not recalled in the next scenario or is he missing completely, not being recallable manually as well?
Or is he part of the recall list but not recallable by your leaders?
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
taptap

Post by taptap »

taptap wrote:
Where is my loyal marshall gone in the next scenario?
Did I miss some dialog? Or is this an error due to the high number of loyals / different recall lists etc.
Your loyal Marshall, is it Andulias from the first scenario?
Is he just not recalled in the next scenario or is he missing completely, not being recallable manually as well?
Or is he part of the recall list but not recallable by your leaders?
Yes, it is Andulias. He was missing completely. BUT I replayed the whole campaign on another computer and now, he isn't marshall (still captain) but is still available (and auto-recalled).

Feedback for the first run

About 270 gold, massive fighter spam, other than that only 1 hero recalled, 1 scout recruited. Focussed on putting as much damage as possible into blue saurians before the first night. Heavy losses but much needed advancements of fighter line units. After finishing blue my units were in pretty bad shape so closing in on green took ages (It almost used up the turn limit.)

Feedback for the second run

258 gold, better recall list, this time including 3 rangers. The most funny way to play this is to assassinate the green saurian leader with rangers (landar + 2 recalls). To see the AI struggle with the ambush ability is hilarious. It also makes the green saurians go back in between, but when you decide to disengage - unless ZOCed - you can do so unhindered as you are invisible and therefore not considered anymore by the AI. Unfortunately those three units are missing on the other end, so it can get a little tight there for Kalenz and friends defending near the keep (road is as bad as the river for the saurians). I finished early (turn 12, but this doesn't result in a bonus) and with less advancements in the scenario. 9 losses (1 hero, 7 fighter), 26 kills, 5 advancements (marshall, avenger, 2 heroes, rider).

AI recruitment

If it weren't for 1/3 augurs the AI would again only recruit the high level units. Mix with L1 skirmishers would be more appropriate IMHO. (ignore-bad-combat=yes) This is a big issue in all campaigns, I am reluctant to change files to get a normal experience but this should be addressed somehow.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
easy 1.10.2
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Crystal
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
This was definitely interesting. When cleo was introduced and it suddenly became a 3 front battle i was like "oh it's on now!" Getting woses for the first time was pretty epic too. Sandwitching and suffocating the enemy forces was pretty satisfying.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
none
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Can't think of any.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Fate is against me.