V1.5/1.6 - SP Scenario Review: LoW 1 - The Uprooting

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Akkarin345

V1.5/1.6 - SP Scenario Review: LoW 1 - The Uprooting

Post by Akkarin345 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Meduim

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Very

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Very

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

For fun trying to kee the elder alive :mrgreen:

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Maybe a few more villages as i ended up with a big penalty to try and kill the bottom orc :(

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Nope
Jozrael

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 1 - The Uprooting

Post by Jozrael »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Hard 1.5.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 4
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Clear. It seems on first blush to me that the dialogue for this campaign could be upgraded in some parts where it's rather thin or cliche, but in others it has rather visual language. It seems to me that more than one person wrote the dialogue for this campaign, with fairly obvious demarcations between the two.

It wasn't terribly difficult, but I think much more exciting than the beginning of HttT (perhaps from the novelty factor).

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5 (standard).
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? I'm not sure how you want to affect the economy of the map, but a couple more villages would certainly add a bit more strategic depth to the map (increase difficulty if necessary).
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Yes, my own mistakes though.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better? I only perused it briefly, it seems clear enough.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.5.6

5. Not overly difficult if you run to the side and down, screening the orc forces. Not the tactic I chose, but I can see it's viability. I tackled purple head on in an effort to level a number of units.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good start for the campaign, and certainly sets the tone.

Nothing really, the amount of gold at the beginning makes it easy to recruit enough troops to rush south. I saved quite a bit of my gold and still did fine.

7. The other leaders gunning for you and short turn limit adds to the tense nature of the retreat, and makes the player take an aggressive posture.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make purple not so static in waiting for me to come to them.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Took a look, it is clean and well indented.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Is this map similar to the old forest in Rise of Wesnoth. It is just when i was re playing it on 1.5.5 i was looking at it and noticing a few similarities. Has anyone else noticed this?
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

"Is this map similar to the old forest in Rise of Wesnoth. It is just when i was re playing it on 1.5.5 i was looking at it and noticing a few similarities. Has anyone else noticed this?"
You are the first to notice it, but in fact the map was lifted from the Oldwood and changed substantially(I'd say beyond ecognition until you noticed some
similarities)
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Wow i was right! lol

It is just the keeps seem to be in similar starting positions ( except your ally). I still like the map though, a few more houses wouldn't do much harm i don't think.
taemyr

Post by taemyr »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.5.8

2. I screened out the orcs and ran around them. Victory on turn 5 with a fair bit of gold carried over, but it leaves me short on xp.

clear.

Clear. Short enough that you get a fast start on the campaign.

Deciding on minimum troops needed to get past the bottom orc.

There should be a bit more of a forced fight with the bottom orc. Shift his camp a bit more to the north or west.

Yes, I had played this scenario on easy at 1.5.7, where it's possible to run past without recruiting. I tried that on medium, with less success.
taemyr

Post by taemyr »

Hard, 1.5.8

2. I screened out the orcs and ran around them. Victory on turn 5 with a fair bit of gold carried over, but it leaves me short on xp.

clear.

Clear. Short enough that you get a fast start on the campaign.

None.

As on medium, more of a forced fight with the bottom orc would be preferable.

None.

This scenario plays the same on hard as on medium.
Bircoph

Post by Bircoph »

1.5.8+svn (r32232), hard.

Clear.

Dialogs are normal, but some additional dialogs/storyline may be added or detalized to make it more interesting.

To save as much of the other pc player elves as I can.

Some encounter in the forest on the way to the exit point. Maybe foe or ally...

None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

Dunno.
Per aspera ad astra!
miekka

Post by miekka »

1. Medium, 1.6.2
2. 4.
3. Very clear
4. Clear, and OK
5. Getting some experience for units (in which I failed)
6. 4.. It wasn't fun using my elves only as cannon fodder... at least I didn't lose my faithful unit
7. I think the 2nd level orc assassins are a bit too much
8. Nope
9. -
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

easy 1.6(?); hard 1.6.2

Completely.

Very.

None.

I don't have any useful suggestions.

The first time through, I got a "farewell loyal friend" message when Anduilas died. I thought - "that's odd" and had a look at the WML (after finishing the scenario) to see what triggered it.

It turns out that I started with a loyal elvish fighter (which just died) but I didn't see the "loyal" attribute because the displayed attribute string gets truncated.

Losing a loyal proto-marshal caused me to replay the scenario from scratch. (The second time through, Anduilas promoted to captain.)

I would change the specification of Anduilas's attributes from:

[modifications]
{TRAIT_INTELLIGENT}
{TRAIT_STRONG}
{TRAIT_LOYAL}
[/modifications]

to:

[modifications]
{TRAIT_LOYAL}
{TRAIT_STRONG}
{TRAIT_INTELLIGENT}
[/modifications]

so that the attributes display as something like "loyal, strong, int" rather than "intelligent, strong,".
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.
oberon

Post by oberon »

Are you sure it is too hard on hard?
Remember that you win when Kalenz reaches the signpost.
It has certainly become much harder. Too hard for me anyway.

It was a campaign I was struggling with (unable to get past Saurian Treasury) on 1.6, so I decided to go back to the first scenario and try again.

I played this scenario twice, and the second time I ended up with four level twos, and having killed the souther orc.

I then upgraded to 1.8 and, after several attempts, have done to better than survive, without my surviving units having much experience - non levelled up or on the verge of levelling up. I was able to get Kalenz to the cross roads, but the overall outcome was much worse. I am not even trying to kill the southern orc.

I would prefer the SOuthern orc not to recruit so many assassins.